UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm currently 95kg at around 20-25% bf and want to get to about 80kg before I can finally start bulking (thinking about starting my first cycle when I reach this). I go to the gym 5 times a week to prevent muscle loss. I've only just started dieting and have been tracking my progress in a spreadsheet (see pic). Anyway I've been doing some research on fasting and it seems too good to be true see this video. Also I'd probably lose the fat a lot faster if I fasted, I want to get lean ASAP. Apparently your metabolism doesn't decrease when you are fasting but on a calorie restricted diet it decreases to match it.

Anyone ever tried fasting? Did you lose muscle? What would you recommend?

Rectangle Font Line Screenshot Material property

Attachments

·
Gym Addict
340 Posts
Fasting is the only way I diet now, it's the best for me. The biggest hurdle to any diet is finding one that you can stick to. For some people fasting is the devil.

You get used to it after about a week - right now I only eat one meal per day as i'm going hard and fast. I don't currently lift so not arsed about any muscle loss (have none now anyway).

To reduce muscle loss you pretty much need to:

High protein diet

Continue to lift

Do not eat too few calories per day

Basic fasting schedule is normally a 16 hour fast, 8 hour eating window - the smaller the window, the better imo.

It's really easy to get into the habit of only eating one or two meals per day and not snacking when you are used to fasting. Right now I haven't bought any junk food and not ate any sugar in a month, simply because I do not crave it. Once i've had my meal I am stuffed, I don't often feel hungry before or after the meal either.

Feeling hungry is pretty much your body saying: I am used to consuming food, so give me it. When you are not eating often, your body gets the memo.

To get through the day you might want to stock up on sugar free drinks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

At the moment I feel a little hungry before I go to bed at 1850 calories a day, I'm eating ~160g of protein too, I'm tracking everything I eat on myfitnesspal. I'm 6ft so 1850 calories should be a big deficit but so far I haven't lost any weight this week so far. My goal is sub 15% bodyfat by the end of september so I'll have to lose about 0.8kg/week I think. After that I'll get on test e and hopefully put on 12kg of muscle.

·
One set, one chance!
4,488 Posts
Blimey. That's a drastic deficit mate.

If I was you I'd recalculate your cals and go again aiming to lose 0.4kg a week.

Leas really is more in the fat loss game.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Blimey. That's a drastic deficit mate.

If I was you I'd recalculate your cals and go again aiming to lose 0.4kg a week.

Leas really is more in the fat loss game.
Then itd take me 8 months to get to where I want which is too long. The only side effects I'm noticing is that I'm a bit hungry at night and I'm more exhausted in the gym. I really want to bulk properly and have my muscles get bigger, but I can't do that at this bf %.

·
One set, one chance!
4,488 Posts
Then itd take me 8 months to get to where I want which is too long. The only side effects I'm noticing is that I'm a bit hungry at night and I'm more exhausted in the gym. I really want to bulk properly and have my muscles get bigger, but I can't do that at this bf %.
Fat loss isn't linear, too many factors. The quicker you go/ the bigger the deficit the more plateaus/ set backs you'll have, it's inevitable.

Youll be back here in no time asking why you haven't lost any weight.

Good luck all the same but you will be very disappointed and frustrated if you do what you're going to do. Take some time to think about it.

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
I like to fast too when dieting. I'd always start cutting calories first. Trim out the olive oil, better cuts of meat etc. Then reduce meal sizes slightly. Just as easy to eat 80g cereal instead of 100g or a few less potatoes or rice. Start increasing cardio. Then and only then I'd look to fast. I'd take out meal no 6 of the day first, then no 1. Ramp up the cardio some more.

For me it's just maths. If your a bloke that maintains weight at 5000 calories a day, then gradually cutting to 3500 is very easy and still satisfying. Starting with a maintenance of 2500 it gets a lot harder.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fat loss isn't linear, too many factors. The quicker you go/ the bigger the deficit the more plateaus/ set backs you'll have, it's inevitable.

Good luck all the same but you will be very disappointed and frustrated if you do what you're going to do. Take some time to think about it.
2lbs / week will be my upper limit, I'm gonna keep cutting till I get sub 15% (hopefully ~19weeks time) then I'll start my first cycle and get huge. I wanna be a freak eventually. atm I'm eating 35% protein (162g), 25% fat (51g) 40% carb (185g) and trying to increase lifts in the gym but it is difficult eating so little. I have decided that I'm not gonna fast and stick to this deficit. I'll keep updating this thread with my weight/bf%/diet for anyone interested.

·
Registered
30 Posts

Still tracking all my food with myfitnesspal, finding it very easy to hit my macros now. Weight is still dropping off. However I'm struggling in the gym a lot (weight is staying the same, not going up). Training 5 days/week.

If I lowered my deficit from 900 to 500 calories per day will I see 15% bodyfat faster or slower? Font Rectangle Parallel Circle Screenshot

Attachments

·
One set, one chance!
4,488 Posts
If lowered my deficit from 900 to 500 calories per day will I see 15% bodyfat faster or slower?
If you change your deficit to 500 fat loss will be slower but you will feel better.

Saying that... To lose 1lb a week (500 cals deficit a day) at 95kg whilst training 5 days a week your fat loss macros should be no less than 2500 cals, so you're still a gazillions miles away. No wonder you feel like shite

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you change your deficit to 500 fat loss will be slower but you will feel better.

Saying that... To lose 1lb a week (500 cals deficit a day) at 95kg whilst training 5 days a week your fat loss macros should be no less than 2500 cals, so you're still a gazillions miles away. No wonder you feel like shite
Quick update on the spreadsheet, been filling it out almost everyday (I do track my cals on sunday but I don't weigh myself). Put the deficit on my estimated tdee down by 500 calories as you recommended, I was losing 0.5 kg every week but I didn't lose any weight this week. Just gonna keep eating around 2000 calories and see what happens.

View attachment 201401

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
Quick update on the spreadsheet, been filling it out almost everyday (I do track my cals on sunday but I don't weigh myself). Put the deficit on my estimated tdee down by 500 calories as you recommended, I was losing 0.5 kg every week but I didn't lose any weight this week. Just gonna keep eating around 2000 calories and see what happens.

View attachment 201401
You will get stall days even weeks. I don't change anything then all of a sudden it starts coming off again.

·
One set, one chance!
4,488 Posts

View attachment 201401
Don't change anything yet mate. Wait a few more weeks. If your weight or body comp hasn't changed by the end of June then drop 100 cals a day.

Just keep going for now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts