UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Gym Addict
142 Posts
here you go mate, taken from PS CARBS sticky in this section regarding timed carbs..

These diets are based on the fact that when you reduce carbs to ZERO, and keep it that way for a period of anywhere from 12 hours to 48 hours (dependant an a variety of factors) your body will shift from first burning carbs, to then burning fats, to ultimately converting fats into ketones, and using the ketones as the primary fuel source. The name given to this process is ketosis, hence the name keto-diet. Keto diets are protein sparing, which means your body will tend to hold on to protein (muscle) which is exactly what we want when dieting.

These diets do work extremely well for dropping bodyfat while holding onto muscle. Just what the aspiring bodybuilder wants. So what's the catch? Well……the catch is that to achieve and stay in actual ketosis, you usually have to be carb-free about 2 days. These diets are typically done by going without any carbs for 5 days (sometimes 6) and then doing a 1 or 2 day "carb-up" and repeating the cycle. Sound simple? Try it and then tell me how easy it is. If you can breach that stumbling block, you then reach the second problem. Without ANY carbs for so many days performance in the gym suffers. So while these diets are protein sparing, they don't allow you to go all out in the gym, and you end up losing strength because you are held at reign in the gym. The third big reason they fail many is because with zero carbs, and low calorie levels, thyroid metabolism tends to get S-L-O-W-E-R. Bad thing! Even with these drawbacks, this is not a bad diet for dropping bodyfat and definitely many notches above the previously mentioned diets. But……there is a better way! Enter timed-carb dieting!

EDIT:

On a side note consume more fat than protein for example 60% fat/40% protein, to use fat as the main source instead of protein..

·
Premium Member
10,733 Posts
The only problem with that write up (and some other write ups on keto diets) is that keto diets aren't protein sparing in an excpetional way at all - in fact the opposite is shown in keto diets where a higher percentage of total weight loss comes from lean tissue than it does in calorie equivalent non-ketogenic diets.

This is due to the fact that the body does need to use some glucose, even if adapted to full efficiency burning ketones... and if diet is very low carb like keto, the place it get this from is muscle tissue via gluconeogenesis.

·
Gym Addict
142 Posts
Dtlv74 said:
The only problem with that write up (and some other write ups on keto diets) is that keto diets aren't protein sparing in an excpetional way at all - in fact the opposite is shown in keto diets where a higher percentage of total weight loss comes from lean tissue than it does in calorie equivalent non-ketogenic diets.

This is due to the fact that the body does need to use some glucose, even if adapted to full efficiency burning ketones... and if diet is very low carb like keto, the place it get this from is muscle tissue via gluconeogenesis.
so would this mean timed carbs or carb cycling is probably a better route?

ive switched from keto to timed, so i just smash 60-100g of carbs post workout, have a carb load on my last day of training and low carbs on my rest day with no timed carbs due to no workout..

·
Premium Member
10,733 Posts
matt1989 said:
so would this mean timed carbs or carb cycling is probably a better route?

ive switched from keto to timed, so i just smash 60-100g of carbs post workout, have a carb load on my last day of training and low carbs on my rest day with no timed carbs due to no workout..
Yes definitely... CKD or TKD are both better than straight keto I think for anyone actively exercising or prioritising lean mass retention.

For a non-exercising person who just wants to shed fat/bodyweight, straight keto is probably more suitable a low carb approach.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.