UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Looking Freaky
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone done it? Thinking of doing it? Where did u leave? Where did you go? Was it a good decision? Was it difficult?

I fancy leaving the uk and heading across the pond to the states. Just wanted to know peoples experiences.

Cheers people.

·
nothing substitutes training smart and hard
1,512 Posts
spent some time living in spain and canada absolutely loved canada and the population is in decline so they are quite reliant on imigration for skilled jobs

·
Looking Freaky
741 Posts
I emmigrated from the UK (Yorkshire) to Dallas, Texas in January of this year. I married an American girl three years ago and even then it was still an absolute nightmare to get my visa. Probably the most stressful experience of my life.

I have to say that I do get homesick often, but mainly for people rather than the place. Once you're lookiing in from the outside, you really do realise how the decent hardworking, taxpaying, Brit gets shafted at every turn. The cost of living and quality of life here is almost incomparable. This government does seem to have law abiding tax payers at the top of its priority list. Which is in my opinion how it should be.

Please let me know if you have any questions re the visa process.

·
Gym Addict
129 Posts
Would a personal trainer be classed as a profession or trade? I have been travelling and emigrating would certainly be on the cards later on in life! so would this be a valid occupation to do so?

·
Enjoys a good poo on works time
2,843 Posts
Got friends in Canada and they love it. My brother worked there for over a year and loved it too.they get hot summers, but very cold winters. They measure snow in feet not inches.

Trouble with the US is two fold, healthcare and working hours. 2 weeks holiday a year, average 55 hour week.

Australia, higher cost of living than here but with lower wages. But, shorter hours and all that sun. NZ far better prospect but there too, low wages but better standard of living. My brother in law and his family live just outside Christchurch with a few acres of farm land, so have gotten into raising sheep all for less than a four bed detatched here.

Takes balls to emmigrate, which I haven't got.

·
Looking Freaky
741 Posts
All I could suggest would be to check the American embassy wedsite. I came over here as a spouse rather than with a trade. In fact I'm not even sure they have a list of required trades as Canada and Aus do.

·
Banned
9,878 Posts
Incredibl3Bulk said:
Anyone done it? Thinking of doing it? Where did u leave? Where did you go? Was it a good decision? Was it difficult?

I fancy leaving the uk and heading across the pond to the states. Just wanted to know peoples experiences.

Cheers people.
Im off probably within the next 4-6 weeks...

Swapping the rain and wind for palm trees and beach, off to Costa Blanca in spain off the coast of the Mediterranean... every time i go on holiday i feel down when i get home and i just thought recently.. you know what! fcuk it!

Im off :thumbup1:

Can fly back whenever to see my mates and that anyways, not gonna miss much.

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
I want to move to the USA (more so canada which is very different) but it's nearly impossible.. Unless you marry, don't bother.

RE canada, even if you DO have the points, your application takes years...

·
Looking Freaky
741 Posts
musio said:
I want to move to the USA (more so canada which is very different) but it's nearly impossible.. Unless you marry, don't bother.

RE canada, even if you DO have the points, your application takes years...
I have to echo this. Despite being married to a US citizen for over 2 years and it obviously not being a marriage of convenience, it was still quite 'touch and go' as to whether we made it. My brother on the other hand also lives in Dallas but he was moved here by his company.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.