UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Gobby
10,533 Posts
aaron118 said:
I am going over to Lausanne (Switzerland) for a year next week as I am doing a work placement there, I have been using MyProtein for a few years now and would like to continue using their products when I'm out there, as the prices for supplements are ridiculous in Switzerland and I am sure it would still be cheaper getting them from here. Postage is £25 to post to Switzerland from MyProtein so I would plan on ordering some big bulk orders (like around £200), but will I incur any additional heavy charges like import tax or customs charges?

Thanks,

Aaron
There are likely to be charges, but they don't seem particularly high. Can't find the duty rates specifically for food though....

http://www.ezv.admin.ch/zollinfo_privat/zu_beachten/00351/index.html?lang=en

·
Solid Gold
6,442 Posts
I used to buy stuff from america at a good price.. well that is until they got here and i got bloody stung , i had to stop buying them because of that :-(

·
Real men eat Pork Scratchings for protein!! 49.5g
646 Posts
As they aren't part of the EU there would be import taxes. Duty & VAT. You would need a commodity code and a copy of their import tariff to determine what the charges will be.

I "think" froma quick online seach this is the Swiss Customs Tariff:

http://xtares.admin.ch/

The UK tariff shows the code to be 210610****. You will have to klnow the make up of the product to work out the remaining digits of the code:

http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds2/taric/taric_consultation.jsp?Lang=en&SimDate=20100826&Screen=0&Description=protein&LangDescr=en&Expand=true&Taric=210610&Area=#2106100000

Its a bit of a minefield getting the right commoduty code for a product such as protein. You will be at the mercy of the courier company that myprotein utilise as they will pick the code unless you instruct them. The above link to the Swiss Customs tariff should give you an idea of the differing rates of duty.

In the UK there are also levies to pay on sugar added to products. You have to advise the percentage of sugar and a levy is added. Again a minefield. Probably why supplements are so expensive in Switzerland in the first place. ;)

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot for the info guys, sounds like it could be a bit of a pain. I will probably have mates and family come over often enough, would it be ok for them to bring some over in a suitcase for me, whats the deal with that?

Thanks again for your help,

Aaron

·
Gobby
10,533 Posts
Little Ron said:
As they aren't part of the EU there would be import taxes. Duty & VAT. You would need a commodity code and a copy of their import tariff to determine what the charges will be.

I "think" froma quick online seach this is the Swiss Customs Tariff:

http://xtares.admin.ch/

The UK tariff shows the code to be 210610****. You will have to klnow the make up of the product to work out the remaining digits of the code:

http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds2/taric/taric_consultation.jsp?Lang=en&SimDate=20100826&Screen=0&Description=protein&LangDescr=en&Expand=true&Taric=210610&Area=#2106100000

Its a bit of a minefield getting the right commoduty code for a product such as protein. You will be at the mercy of the courier company that myprotein utilise as they will pick the code unless you instruct them. The above link to the Swiss Customs tariff should give you an idea of the differing rates of duty.

In the UK there are also levies to pay on sugar added to products. You have to advise the percentage of sugar and a levy is added. Again a minefield. Probably why supplements are so expensive in Switzerland in the first place. ;)
The comm code is also different if it's chocolate flavoured......

However exports to Switzerland would have no sugar levy or refund at the moment from this end, can't comment on the import at the other end. We also have preferential trade agreements with EFTA countries which is likely to reduce duties due

·
Gobby
10,533 Posts

·
Gobby
10,533 Posts
aaron118 said:
Thanks a lot for the info guys, sounds like it could be a bit of a pain. I will probably have mates and family come over often enough, would it be ok for them to bring some over in a suitcase for me, whats the deal with that?

Thanks again for your help,

Aaron
As long as the value of the goods is less than 300 Swiss Francs, there's no duty to pay

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also looking at this page: http://www.ezv.admin.ch/zollinfo_privat/essen_trinken/00356/index.html?lang=en it looks like within that 300 CHF tax-free limit there are weight limits on some products, do you think whey protein, creatine, protein bars and waxy maize starch will fall under these weight restrictions. It says there is a 5kg limit for milk products so I take it that will include milk protein?

Thanks

·
Gobby
10,533 Posts
aaron118 said:
Also looking at this page: http://www.ezv.admin.ch/zollinfo_privat/essen_trinken/00356/index.html?lang=en it looks like within that 300 CHF tax-free limit there are weight limits on some products, do you think whey protein, creatine, protein bars and waxy maize starch will fall under these weight restrictions. It says there is a 5kg limit for milk products so I take it that will include milk protein?

Thanks
I'd have thought it meant for non EU goods. It's probably easiest to email them tbh

·
646 Posts
Beklet said:
The comm code is also different if it's chocolate flavoured......

However exports to Switzerland would have no sugar levy or refund at the moment from this end, can't comment on the import at the other end. We also have preferential trade agreements with EFTA countries which is likely to reduce duties due
You seem to know your stuff. I was only going by a quick look and the levy is something that I threw in there as its applicable on certain other foodstuffs into the UK so needs investigating for other countries. I was only referring to the import into Switzerland, there will be no charges for the export part of things UK side.

interesting stuff about the Chocolate being classified completely different though. :confused1:

·
Gobby
10,533 Posts
Little Ron said:
You seem to know your stuff. I was only going by a quick look and the levy is something that I threw in there as its applicable on certain other foodstuffs into the UK so needs investigating for other countries. I was only referring to the import into Switzerland, there will be no charges for the export part of things UK side.

interesting stuff about the Chocolate being classified completely different though. :confused1:
Ah the sugar levies change at short notice - apparently there are none for exports atm but plenty on imports, but only of certain goods. It's not just sugar, there are levies on flour and milk proteins too... a lot depends on the harvests so can change from month to month. Have to love the Common Agricultural Policy lol :lol:

It's classified differently because cocoa products have their own classifications - makes things unnecessarily complicated lol!

·
646 Posts
Ahh CAP, used to be the bain of my life. Coupled with maff, minimum import prices, spv's and aiv's etc. :(

I'm not fully clued up on the levies atm as its been a while since I've done customs imports on any product tbh but got the t-shirt.

I did wonder if it was cocoa related. Why isn't Vanilla flavour classified as ice-cream. :D Stupid system.

·
Gobby
10,533 Posts
Little Ron said:
Ahh CAP, used to be the bain of my life. Coupled with maff, minimum import prices, spv's and aiv's etc. :(

I'm not fully clued up on the levies atm as its been a while since I've done customs imports on any product tbh but got the t-shirt.

I did wonder if it was cocoa related. Why isn't Vanilla flavour classified as ice-cream. :D Stupid system.
Hmm and being from Ipswich too..... :rolleyes:

I remember having to deal with the Interventions Board, now the RPA, it changes all the time.

Ice cream has VAT on it, probably best it's not classified that way :laugh:

·
646 Posts
Beklet said:
Hmm and being from Ipswich too..... :rolleyes:

I remember having to deal with the Interventions Board, now the RPA, it changes all the time.

Ice cream has VAT on it, probably best it's not classified that way :laugh:
Could be worse, I could be from Felixstowe. :D :tongue:

Glad I'm kinda away from all that now. Get my boys to do it for me while I surf on this forum. :D

So what/who do you work for then?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.