UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a block of flats with very thin, creaky, and generally sh*t flooring.

The guy above me isn't particularly noisy, but I often get woken up to the floor creaking and the odd 'bang' when he's moving about in his flat.

I've had similar problems in other places I've lived... I think I'm a pretty light sleeper too which doesn't help.

I find earplugs help but not 100% – I also don't like complete silence and prefer to have some constant background noise,

So now I'm thinking of getting some noise cancelling headphones and just playing white noise, while also wearing earplugs underneath. This should drown out any annoying noises but also give me some background noise to fall asleep to.

Anyone else tried this? It wouldn't screw up my hearing if I did it every night would it?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn’t bother spending money on earphones I would just go up to his flat and smash his fckin head in it’s a lot cheaper mate
LOL thats what I was doing at my old place (well without the smashing his head in part anyway...)

Wouldn't say the guy in this place is all that noisy really... it's just the flooring is so sh*t that it'd make anyone seem noisy.

·
Maximus Covidius
892 Posts
I live in a block of flats with very thin, creaky, and generally sh*t flooring.

The guy above me isn't particularly noisy, but I often get woken up to the floor creaking and the odd 'bang' when he's moving about in his flat.

I've had similar problems in other places I've lived... I think I'm a pretty light sleeper too which doesn't help.

I find earplugs help but not 100% – I also don't like complete silence and prefer to have some constant background noise,

So now I'm thinking of getting some noise cancelling headphones and just playing white noise, while also wearing earplugs underneath. This should drown out any annoying noises but also give me some background noise to fall asleep to.

Anyone else tried this? It wouldn't screw up my hearing if I did it every night would it?
That is a terrible idea.

Should you decide to go for it though, I have some information. My friend snores like a motherfuсker and it drives his wife crazy. So he got her Bose's sleep buds or whatever they are called. They are exactly what you are looking for, but as I understand they have mixed reviews. In any case comfort is key to sleeping and Bose makes the most comfortable headphones/earphones in the world hands down.

If you own the apartment, I would look into some additional sound insulation. Higher frequency sounds can be insulated more easily, like gluing polystyrene tiles on your ceiling. If your problem is low frequency sounds then you're fuсked because the only thing that can insulate low freq is mass. That's why noise problem in concrete new builds is less common, but very common in ѕhitty old houses with wooden floor beams.

I live in a new build and let's just say I make quite a bit of noise with my 8 inch JBL pro drivers, but my neighbors don't hear it:

·
DNP on cruises crew
12,937 Posts
You can wear earplugs and also have a fan running in the background for white noise. Doesn't have to be pointed on you.

As for earplugs, these are the best I've used - they're pliable chunks of silicone and you just roll them into a ball and mush them over your earhole like plugging it up with plasticine or whatever. They do the trick and they're comfortable.

·
Premium Member
1,859 Posts

Bought these a number of years ago when I couldn’t sleep on tour buses, when I was out with people who would be all night playing music and doing drugs. Not expensive if you value your sleep, which you essentially spend half your life doing. They do pairs with various levels of attenuation, mainly for professional musicians etc. The cheap foam ones will do the job, but are very uncomfortable IMO.

also, if you go down the headphone route, look into sound isolating earphones over any type of noise cancelling headphones, unless your budget is extremely high… would suck sleeping in headphones anyway.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is a terrible idea.

Should you decide to go for it though, I have some information. My friend snores like a motherfuсker and it drives his wife crazy. So he got her Bose's sleep buds or whatever they are called. They are exactly what you are looking for, but as I understand they have mixed reviews. In any case comfort is key to sleeping and Bose makes the most comfortable headphones/earphones in the world hands down.

If you own the apartment, I would look into some additional sound insulation. Higher frequency sounds can be insulated more easily, like gluing polystyrene tiles on your ceiling. If your problem is low frequency sounds then you're fuсked because the only thing that can insulate low freq is mass. That's why noise problem in concrete new builds is less common, but very common in ѕhitty old houses with wooden floor beams.

I live in a new build and let's just say I make quite a bit of noise with my 8 inch JBL pro drivers, but my neighbors don't hear it:
Thanks I'll check them out, I have a feeling Bose may be out of my price range though lol

Sometimes lower frequency sounds have been an issue, but I find listening to brown noise on my headphones is a good way to tackle it.

You can wear earplugs and also have a fan running in the background for white noise. Doesn't have to be pointed on you.

As for earplugs, these are the best I've used - they're pliable chunks of silicone and you just roll them into a ball and mush them over your earhole like plugging it up with plasticine or whatever. They do the trick and they're comfortable.
Thanks I'll take a look

Bought these a number of years ago when I couldn’t sleep on tour buses, when I was out with people who would be all night playing music and doing drugs. Not expensive if you value your sleep, which you essentially spend half your life doing. They do pairs with various levels of attenuation, mainly for professional musicians etc. The cheap foam ones will do the job, but are very uncomfortable IMO.

also, if you go down the headphone route, look into sound isolating earphones over any type of noise cancelling headphones, unless your budget is extremely high… would suck sleeping in headphones anyway.
Nice one I'll check them out

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
The Bose Sleepbud 2’s work pretty well. They are not noise cancelling but they do a great job of blocking out sound. Not a cheap option and not perfect but pretty effective.

·
So it seems a Human had been rather injured by a k
9,394 Posts
That's what I do. I work different shifts so always were earplugs when sleeping and have the ceiling fan on.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
there's white-noise apps for your phone too, they're much better than a fan imo. can choose between a variety of sounds/volumes and set a timer etc. 8 hours drains my phone's battery 10% max. can't sleep without it these days.

·
Newbie Trainer
2,589 Posts

Do you have any recommendations for ear plugs for going to gigs. Not sure what the technical name would be, but the type that cut out all frequencies to the same extent and leave the sound intact just quieter. Went out for the first time in years the other week (obviously) and my ears were ringing for days after.

·
Premium Member
1,859 Posts
Do you have any recommendations for ear plugs for going to gigs. Not sure what the technical name would be, but the type that cut out all frequencies to the same extent and leave the sound intact just quieter. Went out for the first time in years the other week (obviously) and my ears were ringing for days after.
Yes mate, so ACS above do the pro17s which are completely flat, meaning they attenuate the sound 17dB without any effect on the audio fidelity. If you make it quieter than this, you start losing the highs or lows and messing up the sound. I own a pair of these aswell that I wear to gigs and I strongly recommend them. They’re abit expensive but they’re a small Price to pay if losing your hearing through loud noise exposure is the other option. As they’re custom moulds, super comfy too. I also only use flat headphones and earphones for the same reason of wanting to hear music without any influencing.

·
Newbie Trainer
2,589 Posts
Yes mate, so ACS above do the pro17s which are completely flat, meaning they attenuate the sound 17dB without any effect on the audio fidelity. If you make it quieter than this, you start losing the highs or lows and messing up the sound. I own a pair of these aswell that I wear to gigs and I strongly recommend them. They’re abit expensive but they’re a small Price to pay if losing your hearing through loud noise exposure is the other option. As they’re custom moulds, super comfy too. I also only use flat headphones and earphones for the same reason of wanting to hear music without any influencing.
Thanks for that. Best order the one's that come with a cable attached. Don't want to drop those on the floor and lose them at that price :oops:

·
Premium Member
1,859 Posts
Thanks for that. Best order the one's that come with a cable attached. Don't want to drop those on the floor and lose them at that price :oops:
Good idea. I lost one of em at a gig once, they gave me a discount for a single replacement and they keep the mould profile for ages. Their customer service is spot on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts