UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm off down into France in me car on Sunday, starting a contract down there and need wheels (for gym, etc).

I've been accross one time on the chunnell on my bike but probably go ferry this time.

Is the ferry well sign posted, straight forward?

Is it better to book by web or just pay when there as there seems to be a few operators.and if I miss the boat I book can I just get the next or would they charge again?

·
Banned
10,291 Posts
Book mate, can be a lot cheaper! Where in France are you going? Missus Family have a place in the south of france and do it a lot to St Malo and that is easy enough. Normally about £100 each way.

Calais will be cheaper tho as more crossings and more operators.

·
Kadampa.org
2,914 Posts
I done that a few times

booking online in advance is a peace of mind, I missed the boat (coz of traffic) and they putted me through the boat after that, no problem

G

·
Uriel said:
I'm off down into France in me car on Sunday, starting a contract down there and need wheels (for gym, etc).

I've been accross one time on the chunnell on my bike but probably go ferry this time.

Is the ferry well sign posted, straight forward?

Is it better to book by web or just pay when there as there seems to be a few operators.and if I miss the boat I book can I just get the next or would they charge again?
i take it that means work because its definatly not pleasurable there:D

·
Premium Member
22,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
akalatengo said:
I done that a few times

booking online in advance is a peace of mind, I missed the boat (coz of traffic) and they putted me through the boat after that, no problem
does it matter which operator? they all seem about the same cost, I looked at P&O and Norfolk Line so far

·
Kadampa.org
2,914 Posts
Uriel said:
does it matter which operator? they all seem about the same cost, I looked at P&O and Norfolk Line so far
check the one that have more boats per day so if you missed one you can jump to the next

I think Norfolk Line has very few boats compare to P&O (but not quite sure)

·
Newbie Trainer
20 Posts
Uriel,

Just one idea of routing, if you dont want to go any where near Paris

Portsmouth - St Malo overnight ferry with Brittany Ferries

Drive to Rennes then follow signs to Le Mans - Tours - Bourges Then on to Clermont F

Its approx 6.5 hour drive if you stick to the limits.

Id book before but it is possible to buy the same day of travel.

Hope this helps

·
Banned
10,291 Posts
GG1 said:
Uriel,

Just one idea of routing, if you dont want to go any where near Paris

Portsmouth - St Malo overnight ferry with Brittany Ferries

Drive to Rennes then follow signs to Le Mans - Tours - Bourges Then on to Clermont F

Its approx 6.5 hour drive if you stick to the limits.

Id book before but it is possible to buy the same day of travel.

Hope this helps
I'd go this route too TBH, still a hell of a drive!

Defo book the over night and get some kip tho, nice and fresh for the road.

·
EFBB Winner
5,283 Posts
just back from france last wk, i used norfolk line and it cost 79quid return for me the misses and her car, went dover to dunqerk. we went to loches in the middle of france but used the motorways on way down and got stung roughly 80euros in tolls, on way back set the sat nav for avoid tolls, added 2hrs onto the journey but a far nicer drive than motorways

·
Kadampa.org
2,914 Posts
gym rat said:
just back from france last wk, i used norfolk line and it cost 79quid return for me the misses and her car, went dover to dunqerk. we went to loches in the middle of france but used the motorways on way down and got stung roughly 80euros in tolls, on way back set the sat nav for avoid tolls, added 2hrs onto the journey but a far nicer drive than motorways
they way I see it is £40 and hour, no way, plus as you said is a nice drive

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.