UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I was under the impression you could subtract the fibre from the number of carbs in a food to get the actual carb content, as your body can't process the fibre or something along those lines.. Now as I'm currently doing the anabolic diet, during the week I aim to eat less than 30g of carbs a day, so watching carb intake is pretty important.

For example. KP Salted Peanuts, 100g contains 7.8g of carbs, but 6.2g of fibre.

Does that mean its 7.8-6.2 = a total of 1.6g of carbs which I need to count towards my daily total? For i'd best clear this up incase I was potentially holding my progress back!

·
Advanced Personal Trainer & Nutrition Advisor. Boa
3,527 Posts
You would count 7.8 mate that's the amount of carbs fibrous or not in the peanut

Aren't mp nuts processed though?

·
Getting bored sh1tless....
5,016 Posts
Dude, I think you're looking far too deeply into things.

Do you really think that's going to make a morsel of difference to your physique??

Jeez, and I thought I was bad :lol:

·
Banned
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I still want an answer wasn't really after opinions! I'm following the anabolic diet where you're not meant to eat more than 30g carb a day, obviously if i'm eating 2-3x this due to an error of knowledge it defeats the object. I know a few extra carbs won't hurt me but you get what you give, the better my diet, the better the results.

·
Read Only
35,526 Posts
WannaGetStacked said:
Okay so I was under the impression you could subtract the fibre from the number of carbs in a food to get the actual carb content, as your body can't process the fibre or something along those lines.. Now as I'm currently doing the anabolic diet, during the week I aim to eat less than 30g of carbs a day, so watching carb intake is pretty important.

For example. KP Salted Peanuts, 100g contains 7.8g of carbs, but 6.2g of fibre.

Does that mean its 7.8-6.2 = a total of 1.6g of carbs which I need to count towards my daily total? For i'd best clear this up incase I was potentially holding my progress back!
dietry fibre is not processed by the body at all so do not count towards your daily carb amount...

for those that say don't count carbs can i ask why not?? you can only continue to make progress if you know what your eating then you know what to alter....maybe counting carbs or looking deeply into the diet side of things with stop him using to much gear to bridge the gap that is made by him not counting carbs??

·
Unless you're a bodybuilder you only rent food
5,555 Posts
WannaGetStacked said:
I still want an answer wasn't really after opinions! I'm following the anabolic diet where you're not meant to eat more than 30g carb a day, obviously if i'm eating 2-3x this due to an error of knowledge it defeats the object. I know a few extra carbs won't hurt me but you get what you give, the better my diet, the better the results.
No - the number of carbs that are turned into energy is the number of carbs given - in the case of the nuts, 7.8 gms.

Fibre does not count as carbs as it can't be turned into energy.

But, as others have said, don't count carbs and calories. There's no way of predicting how many you need each day. Just look in the mirror: if you're getting porky or not losing flab, reduce the carbs.

The only thing that may be wrong with salted peanuts is the salt content: the nuts and oil are good but of course are high in calories so contribute a lot to your daily intake of energy. Cut carbs before fats, though.

Just watch your total salt intake to avoid water retention and raised blood pressure. Don't forget though that a big bodybuilder taking in lots of water will need a good deal more salt than the average person. Cramp can be one of the first signs of too low a salt intake.

·
Getting bored sh1tless....
5,016 Posts
I didn't say don't count carbs, as I believe they should be counted. As you say Paul, how can you track progress without counting them??

My point was why bother count the fibrous carbs? IMO it is verging on too anal :)

·
5,555 Posts
chrisj22 said:
I didn't say don't count carbs, as I believe they should be counted. As you say Paul, how can you track progress without counting them??

My point was why bother count the fibrous carbs? IMO it is verging on too anal :)
There's no point whatsoever in counting carbs or calories.

Despite all the nostrums, it's impossible to predict or know how many calories and therefore carbs you need each day: your daily routine, activities, workouts and the weather temperature will change and therefore your calorie needs.

If you eat the same fixed calculated amount every day you'll gradually get fatter or more and more lack energy unless you're porky.

The only thing you must count is your daily protein intake.

And you need fats to make your testosterone work and for energy before you need any carbs.

In fact you don't actually need to eat any carbs at all to survive and gain muscle, except that some vits and bioflavonoids come in carbs like fruit.

The easiest way to tell if you're getting too many calories is to look in the mirror every day...

·
Read Only
35,526 Posts
Prodiver said:
No - the number of carbs that are turned into energy is the number of carbs given - in the case of the nuts, 7.8 gms.

Fibre does not count as carbs as it can't be turned into energy.

sorry mate but this is wrong many foods give the amount of carbs including fibre, oats being a prime example for every 100g of oats there are approx 60g carbs this includes 9g of fibre which can be dismissed as it has no use in the body....

chrisj22 said:

this is my point he wants to know should he count them?? and the answer is no, they have no use....

Prodiver said:
There's no point whatsoever in counting carbs or calories.

Despite all the nostrums, it's impossible to predict or know how many calories and therefore carbs you need each day: your daily routine, activities, workouts and the weather temperature will change and therefore your calorie needs.

If you eat the same fixed calculated amount every day you'll gradually get fatter or more and more lack energy unless you're porky.

The only thing you must count is your daily protein intake.

And you need fats to make your testosterone work and for energy before you need any carbs.

In fact you don't actually need to eat any carbs at all to survive and gain muscle, except that some vits and bioflavonoids come in carbs like fruit.

The easiest way to tell if you're getting too many calories is to look in the mirror every day...
again mate this is wrong.....you do need to count both carbs and fats as well as protein.....especially when dieting....no it is not an exact science but then nothing is.....

so why only count protein when daily due to stress and tiredness, training and non training days your required amounts change just as you have pointed out with carbs and fats.....

if you approximate your calorific needs then drop 500cals a day then you will not get porky as you put it you will drop weight until your body adjusts and then you will need to drop your cals again....now if you are not counting all the macro's how do you drop the cals sufficiently enough to allow your body to yet again burn fat??

there as always exceptions to this rule but they are just that exceptions and not the norm.......i can guarantee you that 99% of the guys and girls out there will need to count carbs/fats and protein to make steady gains in either muscle mass or fat loss......

i will say you can gain and drop weight without counting macro's but IMO the amount of muscle you will burn when trying to lose fat will be more and the amount you will build when trying to gain will be less.....

·
Advanced Personal Trainer & Nutrition Advisor. Boa
3,527 Posts
Agree totally with what pscarb is saying

If you don't know exactly what is being put into you body from every makro how can you adjust to make a change?

If You only keep on top of your protein intake what is going to give you the energy to build muscle? If your protein intake is spot on but carb and fats too high you will be putting on fat

Carbs will replenish glycogen stores which protein won't, if you under eat carbs you will not have the energy in the gym to break down the protein fibres and make use of the protein you are intaking

·
attack on 2011
405 Posts
Paul is spot on! If you don't see progress and haven't counted what your eating or your not seeing sufficient progress then OBVIOUSLY you need to sort your diet out and count everything, meal plans etc. To say you don't need to is just ludicrous how would anyone achieve a decent physique like that. Especially a comp ready physique aswell.

·
5,555 Posts
Pscarb said:
sorry mate but this is wrong many foods give the amount of carbs including fibre, oats being a prime example for every 100g of oats there are approx 60g carbs this includes 9g of fibre which can be dismissed as it has no use in the body....

this is my point he wants to know should he count them?? and the answer is no, they have no use....

again mate this is wrong.....you do need to count both carbs and fats as well as protein.....especially when dieting....no it is not an exact science but then nothing is.....

so why only count protein when daily due to stress and tiredness, training and non training days your required amounts change just as you have pointed out with carbs and fats.....

if you approximate your calorific needs then drop 500cals a day then you will not get porky as you put it you will drop weight until your body adjusts and then you will need to drop your cals again....now if you are not counting all the macro's how do you drop the cals sufficiently enough to allow your body to yet again burn fat??

there as always exceptions to this rule but they are just that exceptions and not the norm.......i can guarantee you that 99% of the guys and girls out there will need to count carbs/fats and protein to make steady gains in either muscle mass or fat loss......

i will say you can gain and drop weight without counting macro's but IMO the amount of muscle you will burn when trying to lose fat will be more and the amount you will build when trying to gain will be less.....
I thought I made it clear. Fibre does not count as carbs. If the calories stated were worked out from the weight of food including the fibre, it's incorrect labelling.

We'll have to disagree about counting carbs and calories. I believe counting carbs and cals is a mistaken crutch for most would-be bodybuilders working out and eating to grow. I observe that it doesn't help most guys but just makes distracts them with the wrong focus and objectives.

The exception is where a bodybuilder is actually on a tight diet cutting for a comp, and has a true measure and strict control over several weeks of their carb intake, so that they can increase or reduce it finely.

Dutch Scott posted on a thread yesterday pointing out that you won't lose any muscle by undereating so long as you eat protein, work out and still have some bodyfat, which is what I was taught by a nutritionist.

·
5,555 Posts
OJay said:
Agree totally with what pscarb is saying

If you don't know exactly what is being put into you body from every makro how can you adjust to make a change?

If You only keep on top of your protein intake what is going to give you the energy to build muscle? If your protein intake is spot on but carb and fats too high you will be putting on fat

Carbs will replenish glycogen stores which protein won't, if you under eat carbs you will not have the energy in the gym to break down the protein fibres and make use of the protein you are intaking
Please read what I wrote very precisely again.

You cannot actually know what your calorie requirements/gms of carbs needed are - any figures are mad stabs in the dark for most. You'll only get fairly close on a strict comp prep diet.

Of course most will get a fair proportion of their energy from carbs. But - quoting a nutritionist - you don't really need any carbs at all to have energy to work out - protein and fats will do.

It's easy to tell if you haven't enough energy - calorie figures won't tell you this - how you feel will! I'm frequently told by exhausted bodybuilders "I can't be lacking energy - I'm eating 500 gms carbs (or whatever) a day..." Duh!

Course what they usually need is less carbs and more fat.

·
Banned
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm still confused though.. So fibre can't be digested and doesn't count. BUT, do I MINUS the fibre figure from the carb figure? Does that carb figure include fibre? Or are they being mentioned as two seperate figures, in which case I should account for all the carbs specified on a regular food packet, but ignore the fibre.

·
Read Only
35,526 Posts
Prodiver said:
I thought I made it clear. Fibre does not count as carbs. If the calories stated were worked out from the weight of food including the fibre, it's incorrect labelling.

We'll have to disagree about counting carbs and calories. I believe counting carbs and cals is a mistaken crutch for most would-be bodybuilders working out and eating to grow. I observe that it doesn't help most guys but just makes distracts them with the wrong focus and objectives.

The exception is where a bodybuilder is actually on a tight diet cutting for a comp, and has a true measure and strict control over several weeks of their carb intake, so that they can increase or reduce it finely.

Dutch Scott posted on a thread yesterday pointing out that you won't lose any muscle by undereating so long as you eat protein, work out and still have some bodyfat, which is what I was taught by a nutritionist.
i am sure i made it clear as well.....labelling does count the fibre in both the carb amounts and the calories just check the labelling for Oats....

sorry mate but i disagree with you analogy of the not counting carbs/fats and only counting protein....if you just eat carbs willy nilly then you will get fat but hey if your goal is to look fat then hey thats the game plan.....the truth is that most have to have an idea what they are eating otherwise they will get fat.....FACT.....those who are more accurate with their macro's do not gain loads of fat and build muscle more effectively.....

if you undereat in carbs and fats but eat enough protein then the body will break the protein down for energy again this is FACT.....so if you have no idea then how do you know that the protein you are eating is preserving muscle or is being converted to simple carbs for energy??

having no idea in what you are eating makes no sense that's like saying just jab a load of gear don't measure what your taking as you will still build muscle....

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.