UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Bulking Nicely
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how many of you actually look at adding weight to the bar each session? or do you just go to the gym and go failure on what ever exercise you do?

·
www.maximumsports-nutrition.com
71 Posts
That a good open question, at the moment im prepping for a show so naturally my strenght and body weight are falling, after the show depending of i qual ill be looking to get everything back up. Having said that tho, im a bodybuilder not a power lifter so not overly bothered about PBs and more bothered about the success of the work out. If you look at Nana Manu who turned pro this year, he always says a lighter weight is better to get the mind muscle contraction ect. I suppose its to the individual, i know i can grow with sensible training ect but i suppose everyones different.

max

·
Banned
1,897 Posts
Yep, nice and structured. Aim to add weight to atleast 3 of my 5 workouts. Each week up the opposite ones so everything moves forward progressively. If i try and up all at the same time i tend to fatigue too soon.

Is easier to maintain weights and more fun seeing each of them move forward each time.

·
Retired
6,805 Posts
If you want to give yourself the best possible chance, plan to start light and add weight each week. When you stall, either deload or switch things up somehow.

Those who go in every week and go to failure on exactly the same weights each session will probably always use those weights, and will probably always stay the same strength/size/etc.

·
5,257 Posts
Progression is the key in my opinion, and to progress you have to know where you were in the first place and where you are now. I keep a journal and record reps and weight every session. I then aim to beat the weight from the last session. I even use a stop watch to ensure I am not cheating myself. If I have 90 second rest periods I will stick to that throughout my programme. I also believe in sticking to a programme and giving it a chance to work, that for me is at least 3 - 4 months. If I stall, I change the programme, if not I will plod on until the gains stop, however long that may be.

·
The Devil told me to do it
382 Posts
About 6 weeks ago i started making a journal of my workouts, and aim to add 2.5kg each week, at the min i am managing to do it although i think i am now reaching my limit, but i will keep trying

·
Bulking Nicely
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
my trouble is i always start to heavy and with in 3 weeks i have to deload lol, going to start a 5x5 with big lifts this week and start light and see how i go, ive been hitting the gym for a few weeks with no structured progression just goin failure, it just seems pointless.

all these people who say keep the body guessing mix it up every week, how are you supposed to see progression with weights, thats just my opinion though

·
3,635 Posts
i always try and add weigh or a rep each week. this is why io dont mention pb in my journal as i expect to do better than last week every week. i havent really done 1 rep max so i hit pbs nearly every week every other week if not

·
5,257 Posts
Gza1 said:
my trouble is i always start to heavy and with in 3 weeks i have to deload lol, going to start a 5x5 with big lifts this week and start light and see how i go, ive been hitting the gym for a few weeks with no structured progression just goin failure, it just seems pointless.

all these people who say keep the body guessing mix it up every week, how are you supposed to see progression with weights, thats just my opinion though
If you start to stall, change the rest periods. You may not realise how long you are waiting between each set. If you have been waiting for say 3 mins, drop down to 90 seconds, you will find it difficult to hit the same rep range and therefore decrease the weight to compensate. You could also superset which would make thing even harder.

I dont believe in mixing it up too often. Keep to a programme for at least 12 weeks to see if its working. You body will still grow as it will have to continue to cope with the weight increases every week. Just my opinion though.

·
5,257 Posts
I think the high street muscle mags have got a lot to answer for with the stupid routines they give out which is why a lot of people think chopping and changing is good. The mags over complicate everything.

Keep it simple, that is the key. Compound exercises, progression, intensity, healthy diet and rest. Nature takes care of the rest = Muscle bound sex god:)

·
Future Mr.O
664 Posts
i need to change my routine round abit and structure it. i always do compounds so dont really know what to change to, i keep my rest short less then 90sec mostly.

might change to a 5x5 as i like it last time i did it and love lifting heavy, start light and add each week then when the weight progresion stalls try upping the reps

·
Looking Freaky
600 Posts
GymMad said:
Same here :thumbup1:

Keep a journal to keep a log of your workouts / progress :)

Aim to beat it each week!
This is the best way to do it, as you know exactly what you are aiming for when you go in. Obviously you're not going to beat your previous amount of weights/reps everytime, but it lets you know when you are making progress.

In terms of having a structured program or not. I normally have the skeleton of a workout in my mind before I go to the gym but don't mind changing around a few exercises once I get there if somebody is using the equipment or I feel like a change.

·
I LIKE EGGS. EGGS LIKE ME.
599 Posts
Going to failure often is a very bad thing. Gives your CNS a damn good thrashing.

I follow a programme. Not necessarily add weight each week. My programme dictates monthly increases.

·
Looking Freaky
772 Posts
i've used a training log for the last 10years and it's the best training partner you can have. i simply will NOT do less than i wrote down the week prior. it saves me remembering every rep of every exercise also.

i do follow a structured program, based on correcting my weak body parts. exception is the last 4weeks prior to a show as i know recording my reps and weights then would just break my moral.

some people will be genetically fortunate enough to gain on weekly free styling, but personally i'd rather work with structure and a plan. seems to work best in education, medicine, military etc.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.