UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
621 - 640 of 690 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
17th June

Creeping Death Week 4, Session 6 (Legs - Pump):

(60 seconds rest in between sets unless specified otherwise)

Cardio Work:
  • 30 minutes outdoor cycling - Gorgeous weather again!
Legs Session:
  • Lying leg curl 12, 10, 8, 6 - Routine asked for seated leg curl but there isn’t a seated machine in this gym so went for lying instead. Slow negatives and a brief pause at the bottom of each rep.
  • Leg press 4 x 10 superset with walking DB lunge 4 x 8 each leg - Plenty of warm-up sets on leg press to establish a working weight which is becoming difficult by rep 10. Walking lunges killer in 27 degree heat!
  • Seated calf raise 6 x 15 - Held the final rep of each set in the stretch position for 10 seconds. Used the Hammer Strength machine here as I feel much more calf engagement than the other seater calf machine we have.
That’s it for today. Surprisingly low volume for this routine but it’s all John included and I don’t want to be adding in extra things as there is probably some logic in this session being lower volume. Maybe the sessions are ramped up and become more difficult in week 5.

As mentioned above, it’s a beautiful day today. My Mrs has been filling the paddling pool up in the back garden. Going to get some nice food in from Tesco and spend the day outside in the sun. Hopefully get a bit of a tan.

Quick video of pump, vascularity through the roof due to the heat today.
I want those little sideways lines. Looking good

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
17th June

Creeping Death Week 4, Session 6 (Legs - Pump):

(60 seconds rest in between sets unless specified otherwise)

Cardio Work:
  • 30 minutes outdoor cycling - Gorgeous weather again!
Legs Session:
  • Lying leg curl 12, 10, 8, 6 - Routine asked for seated leg curl but there isn’t a seated machine in this gym so went for lying instead. Slow negatives and a brief pause at the bottom of each rep.
  • Leg press 4 x 10 superset with walking DB lunge 4 x 8 each leg - Plenty of warm-up sets on leg press to establish a working weight which is becoming difficult by rep 10. Walking lunges killer in 27 degree heat!
  • Seated calf raise 6 x 15 - Held the final rep of each set in the stretch position for 10 seconds. Used the Hammer Strength machine here as I feel much more calf engagement than the other seater calf machine we have.
That’s it for today. Surprisingly low volume for this routine but it’s all John included and I don’t want to be adding in extra things as there is probably some logic in this session being lower volume. Maybe the sessions are ramped up and become more difficult in week 5.

As mentioned above, it’s a beautiful day today. My Mrs has been filling the paddling pool up in the back garden. Going to get some nice food in from Tesco and spend the day outside in the sun. Hopefully get a bit of a tan.

Quick video of pump, vascularity through the roof due to the heat today.
Sexy

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #625 ·
Spent some time in the sun. Had a blow-up bed in the back garden and a little paddling pool. The water was too cold to really sit down in it TBH, but was still nice. Fell asleep for a while but had to come back inside because I could feel myself burning. Got 2 cans of pre-mixed Long Island Iced Tea (GOAT cocktail in my opinion) and a pizza to throw in the oven. Going to watch some TV and drink the cans. My alcohol tolerance will be almost nonexistent so even 2 should mellow me out. Will be putting a small order in so I have everything on hand that I require for a small competition prep cycle shortly. Whether I end up competing or not isn’t 100% certain yet as I’m still having some days where I’m crapping through the eye of a needle over a dozen times, but either way I’ll run that kind of cycle at some point in the not so distant future as it’ll allow me to get some good footage for Instagram and maybe take advantage of a free photoshoot with one of my in-the-closet Instagram followers. I figure having profession quality images of my physique looking completely dialled in will be useful going forward to use on a website or w/e. Tomorrow is Pull. May come slightly off plan and attempt a pull-up record. I’d like to hit 40+ in a set.

·
Premium Member
Full Body Routine.
2,312 Posts
The little paddling pool is the little guy's isn't it, talking of which, I noted he was trying to steal your limelight in a few recent photos, he's there in the background! 👍

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #627 ·
18th June

Creeping Death Week 5, Session 1 (Push):

Cardio Work:

• N/A - Training with a friend on limited time so had to miss cardio
Push Session:
  • Machine press 3 x 8 - Used a Primal plate-loaded incline. Excellent piece of kit and great contraction.
  • Pin press 5 x 5 - Worked up to 160KG for top set. My mate couldn’t go above 70KG because his weakest point is the bottom of the press and he couldn’t use his usual chest bounce to generate momentum.
  • Dips 3 x 8 superset with Pec-deck fly 3 x 8 - Routine recommended stretch push-ups but there was no kit to accommodate so subbed in Pec-deck fly.
  • Cage press 4 x 8 - Concentrating on being explosive.
  • Machine rear delt fly 4 x 15 - 1 second contraction with each rep. Excellent pump.
  • Triceps push-down 4 x 12 - used rope attachment.
  • DB overhead extension 4 x 10 - emphasis on deep stretch and held for a second with each rep.
Had a pull session scheduled but my mate messaged me this morning asking if I wanted to train with him and said he was due a chest and tricep session, so opted for push instead. Will do pull tomorrow.

Tried out a new gym nearby called Strength Collective. It’s on the smaller side but all of the gym is brand new Primal gear. Some great kit in there. Think I will pop in every so often to mix it up as there’s plenty of kit you don’t really see in other gyms round here and you can pay in for one-off sessions at a fiver a go. Definitely worth it. The lighting is really good in there too.

Mrs feels terrible today following her operation. Really lethargic and irritable. I’ll be staying out of harms way and visiting my family for a bit I think.
Joint Shoulder Muscle Bodybuilder Sleeve

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #631 ·
19th June

Creeping Death Week 5, Session 2 (Pull):

Cardio Work:

• 45 minute outdoor cycle
Core:
  • Hanging leg raise 4 x 25
  • Decline sit-up 4 x 20
Pull Session:
  • Meadows row 4 x 8 - These are now included in pull sessions for weeks 5, 6, 7 and 8 and will replace one arm DB/barbell row. I prefer them.
  • Rack pull 5 x 5 - Pulling from mid-shin area. Keeping back very tight throughout.
  • Straight arm push-down 4 x 8 superset with pull-over 4 x 8 - Went single arm on straight arm push-down again as I feel much better contraction in lats.
  • Face pull 2 x 12 - Used dual D handles.
  • EZ bar curl 4 x 8 - 5 second negatives. Used a tip from a video I watched a few days ago about flexing the bicep more at the top and felt a much better contraction/pump.
  • Preacher curl 4 x 8 - 4 second negatives.
Performed well but was one of my least favourite workouts from this program so far due to the exercise choices. I prefer more rowing/pull down movements to be included. This had too many pull-over/face pull type movements included for my liking. Seemed weird to use 2 EZ bar movements for curls and slow negatives on both too. Hopefully next pull session is a bit different.

Going to pin some Test and Primo later. It’s been like 2 weeks since I’ve pinned anything and been very intermittent with dosing my orals. I’ve kind of dropped the ball with things lately because I’ve not felt 100%. Thankfully managed to hold decent condition but I know I could be looking and performing much better if I did everything properly so need to get back on it!

Optitropin arrived so will be including a low dose of GH soon. Mainly just for sleep/general well-being/recovery but will be interested to see if it has any impact on body composition. Been a few years since I used any. Will report back on the quality of the Optitropin as I have never used it before. Only really used Ansomone, Hyge and Genotropin previously.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #632 ·
Got some shingles brewing on my stomach now. Had it before in the same place. Like an itchy sore on the lower ab area just underneath the belly button. Apparently caused by stress. You can get some antiviral meds for it but the Doctor said it only makes a marginal difference in how fast it clears, so I won’t bother. Must be under a bit of stress at the moment with that, the stye and my colitis flaring up a bit. Need to start meditating or something I think.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #633 ·
On the coaching front, been happy with this kid’s progress over 8 weeks. Recommended a quick fat-loss period to prime him for gaining some muscle afterwards. Around 18lbs difference between the two pics. Doesn’t appear to have lost any muscle. Strength has remained similar throughout. Fitness improved due to regular cardio sessions. Hasn’t needed too much handholding, just assign macros/calories and away he goes until the following week. Going to start increasing calories from this week onwards and think he’ll be able to make some solid gains.
Joint Skin Shoulder Muscle Organ

·
Premium Member
7,918 Posts
On the coaching front, been happy with this kid’s progress over 8 weeks. Recommended a quick fat-loss period to prime him for gaining some muscle afterwards. Around 18lbs difference between the two pics. Doesn’t appear to have lost any muscle. Strength has remained similar throughout. Fitness improved due to regular cardio sessions. Hasn’t needed too much handholding, just assign macros/calories and away he goes until the following week. Going to start increasing calories from this week onwards and think he’ll be able to make some solid gains.
View attachment 216636
Looks way better already mate, good job!

·
Premium Member
7,918 Posts
View attachment 216636
18 pounds in 8 weeks - what calorie defecit level bro?

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #638 ·
18 pounds in 8 weeks - what calorie defecit level bro?
The deficit with food intake was 600 and then I added in some extra steps/cardio which burned an additional 400 so total deficit was 1000 which averaged about 2lbs loss per week and some water weight on top for the first week or two.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #639 · (Edited)
Random ramble about dieting coming in.

For me, the best way to get and stay lean is through making gradual changes to my calorie intake and energy expenditure.

I've tried every trick in the book in the past - crash dieting, intermittent fasting, making myself puke after devouring a cheat meal (not my produdest moment), Clen, T3, Adderall, Sibutramine - the list goes on. The only thing I never bothered to try is DNP because I work in an office environment and didn't fancy being sat at my desk sweating buckets.

The more drastic methods have shown some results in the short-term, but cutting down to low body fat takes time. What I've also found is that it's very easy to rebound afterwards and undo the progress entirely. If you want to stay lean, you need to do it in a more sustainable way.

In terms of drugs, Clen makes me feel incredibly anxious and impacts the quality of my sleep, T3 makes me extremely flat and weak which effects the intensity of my training and stimulants like Sibutramine and Ephedrine give me a disgusting jittery wired feeling. In my opinion, it's not worth sacrificing your daily quality of life or jeopardising your training/recovery for the small fat-loss benefits you might get from the drugs.

In terms of diet, if your deficit becomes too large too quickly, hunger will become an issue. You want to avoid spending the entire day feeling starving if you can help it. You'll also lose strength and fullness which is going to be detrimental to your training.

Ideally you want to be in a position where you're not too hungry, you're mentally alert, you're still able to train at a reasonable intensity and you're still recovering with a lot of good quality sleep.

The best way to check all of those boxes for me has been to make gradual adjustments and cut over a longer period of time with a combination of calorie restriction and increased activity.

I'll usually start my cut with a deficit created through calorie restriction of ~300 calories and then a further ~200 calories of extra activity on average over the course of the week. The extra activity can be anything you like. I usually aim to increase my daily step average and add some light LISS cardio sessions, power walking on the treadmill at maximum incline.

When reducing calories, I don't make any radical changes to my diet. It's easy to chip off 300 calories per day without even really noticing through small tweaks like swapping semi-skimmed milk for skimmed, using sweetener rather than sugar in a brew, cooking one meat meal in Frylight rather than olive oil and so on.

So you can start your diet/weight-loss without even feeling as if anything has changed. You're not going to feel the impact of a 20-minute walk here and there or a sweetener in your brew rather than a sugar. This means you can start chipping away at your body-fat with minimal stress.

I usually try to weigh myself at the same time each day with the same scales in the same location for consistency. I take a note of my weight each time and will look at the median weight at the end of the week to account for any fluctuations. As long as the median is dropping by 1lbs a week, I keep things the same. Once I'm not hitting 1lbs loss, I'll reduce calories, increase activity or a combination of the two by 150 calories per day. The first 1-2 rounds of the decrease can usually be made with further small tweaks like the ones mentioned above, as I go deeper, I'll usually look at reducing the carbs in the meals that are not around my workouts first. I'll always try to keep some carbs in pre and post-training if I can help it.

Once I'm quite deep in to the diet, my maintenance could have dropped a decent amount compared to when I started, but it's never overly noticeable as long as I'm achieving the deficit through a combination of calorie restriction and activity. If it was just one or the other then it would be much more noticeable because I'd either be eating considerably less or spending a lot of time doing cardio, when it's a combination, that is never an issue.

I never tend to set a goal weight. I'll stop cutting when I'm happy with what I see in the mirror. It seems pointless aiming for some arbitrary number to me, unless you're doing something specific like fighting or competing at a certain weight class. By the time I get there, I never feel too burnt out because I've done it gradually over a long period of time and I usually take the same approach with bulking, slowly adding calories as a sudden jump in calories/body weight effects my sleep, blood pressure and digestion.

It might not be to everybody's liking, but it's worked well for me. In the past when I've done more intense cuts and used fat-burners, more often than not I would start eating like a pig as soon as I wanted to start gaining and would lose my condition and feel awful within a matter of weeks. Slow and steady with gradual changes has suited me much better. If you're on a massive time crunch then maybe it's not for you. But maybe plan ahead a little more next time and avoid that time crunch in the first place. And if the bulk following the cut follows the same principle, you'll never have a great deal to lose to begin with.

The end result is you've lost all of the fat you wanted to, you've maintained strength, you've not lost an ounce of muscle mass, you've not had to suffer/feel hunger and you've not put your body under stress running fat-loss drugs. The only negative is that it must be done over a slightly longer period of time.

621 - 640 of 690 Posts