UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Spartan Warrior
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I want to incorporate deadlifts into my routine.

What's the most optimal set/rep range to focus on getting stronger? 5x5?

I already Squat and RDL twice per week.

Currently doing Legs/Push/Pull/Off/Repeat

Squat on Leg day, Bench on Push day & Deadlift on Pull day is what I'm thinking

·
Super Moderator
12,691 Posts
Looks fine but I would keep the deadlift to just a couple sets.

5x5 deadlifts is too much volume for any appreciable amount of time.

You could do 2x5 and then use the same weight for a couple sets of just below the knee block pulls performed EXACTLY like you would deadlift IE don't just because it's a block pull break it past the knee then slide it up the quad as you try to limbo under the bar.

Pull it in the same way you would a deadlift from the floor / get into the position you would be in when the bar gets to just below the knee in an ordinary deadlift and perform your block pulls like that.

This will build the prime movers without taxing the s**t out of your CNS pulling heavy from the floor for 5x5.

You won't find any credible strength programs prescribing 5x5 on deadlifts. It's a unique lift from a recovery and CNS demand perspective.

·
Spartan Warrior
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks fine but I would keep the deadlift to just a couple sets.

5x5 deadlifts is too much volume for any appreciable amount of time.

You could do 2x5 and then use the same weight for a couple sets of just below the knee block pulls performed EXACTLY like you would deadlift IE don't just because it's a block pull break it past the knee then slide it up the quad as you try to limbo under the bar.

Pull it in the same way you would a deadlift from the floor / get into the position you would be in when the bar gets to just below the knee in an ordinary deadlift and perform your block pulls like that.

This will build the prime movers without taxing the s**t out of your CNS pulling heavy from the floor for 5x5.

You won't find any credible strength programs prescribing 5x5 on deadlifts. It's a unique lift from a recovery and CNS demand perspective.
I'll do 3x5 then I think. Something about 2 sets just doesn't sit right :lol: . I havnt got blocks so would below the knee rack pulls suffice? If so I'll do 2 sets on that making it 5 in total.
Reset after every rep is mandatory I assume? or can you pause for a 1 sec at the bottom and lift again?

I also want to do an "A" & "B" workout for my squats and bench. I'm doing 3x8-10 for them at the moment but my "B" workout I'm thinking 5x5? Would this be okay as it's not as much of a cns batterer like the deadlift? Purpose for "A" & "B" is obviously one day strength, other day "hyper trophy"

·
Super Moderator
12,691 Posts
I'll do 3x5 then I think. Something about 2 sets just doesn't sit right :lol: . I havnt got blocks so would below the knee rack pulls suffice? If so I'll do 2 sets on that making it 5 in total.
Reset after every rep is mandatory I assume? or can you pause for a 1 sec at the bottom and lift again?

I also want to do an "A" & "B" workout for my squats and bench. I'm doing 3x8-10 for them at the moment but my "B" workout I'm thinking 5x5? Would this be okay as it's not as much of a cns batterer like the deadlift? Purpose for "A" & "B" is obviously one day strength, other day "hyper trophy"
Nothing magic happens after 2 sets, You actually get about 85% of the muscle protein stimulation from the very first set and it drops off exponentially from there.

But the main thing is you enjoy it and if 3 is more fulfilling than 2 then have at it, just be wary of recovery.

I don't quite follow the premise for strength and hypertrophy in these examples of 5x5 or 3x10, they're both going to build muscle and strength.

Strength based programming is about an entire meso cycle, it's not achieved from a particular rep range but rather a long term goal culminating in a peak of strength.

Otherwise you're simple training with progression which is what all lifters should be doing.

Re the deadlift questions, yes it's a deadlift as in dead stop. Rack pulls are fine provided you emulate your deadlift position from just below the knee and perform the lift as a partial deadlift rather than some bullshit ego lift that many like to do with rack pulls and block pulls. It's about building the prime movers of the deadlift in the same ROM and movement pattern without hammering your CNS like from the floor pulls do.

My best mate has succesfully pulled 340kg (his max 350) with an entire training cycle of block pulls and low handle trap bar to allow for more frequency without frying his CNS. Few weeks back on the straight bar and he hit a 340kg and has since hit 350 as mentioned.

The deadlift is more a display of strength rather than a builder of once you start to get stronger.

You obviously need to practice it to get strong at it but it's certainly not a high volume lift, it differs from all others in that respect. Do just enough to ingrain the movement pattern and then focus on building the prime movers around it without burning out; squat, RDL, barbell row, block pull ect.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts