UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Newbie Trainer
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told deadlifts were a great thing to do as part of my training regime so when i was at the gym i planned to do 3 sets of 10 reps of 60kg to start as ive never done them before.

On my 1st set i finished the 10 and the weight seemed easy enough but after a few mins i got a little light headed and my breathing got really bad and i was really struggling to breathe at all so i laid down until i recovered.

Im concerned about what happened and have no idea why that happened so does any one else have any ideas or better still actually experienced the same thing ?

ive never attempted to do them since out of concern.

·
5% off myprotein MP269006
2,421 Posts
Deadlifts are a good exersize :thumbup1:

Learn to do them properly thought as it could cause an injury just like any other exersize!

Ask someone to show your proper form and how to breath when doing it :thumbup1:

Dont hold your breath, there are loads of videos on youtube with how to do them properly!

·
Still Pumping
39 Posts
Hello mate...i find dead lifts to be really hard on the body,it feels to me like the most intense cardio workout ever..i get very out of breath and light headed afterwards.

Just take it easy and start off light,keep good form and take time out between sets.

Im sure others with more experience will add to this post.

good luck.jamie.

·
5% off myprotein MP269006
2,421 Posts
xxxsecurity said:
im not clear on what i did wrong to be honest lol

do you think it was due to holding my breath ?
Deadlifts and squats always make me a bit light headed / dizzy but before learning how to do it properly it was alot worse :thumbup1:

Can you not get the gym instructor in the gym you use to show you?

boofstien said:
With deads you really need to get your form right or you will suffer. Study the form but here is a couple of quick tips in no particular order:

1.) lift through the heels not the balls of the feet

2.) Keep your sholders shrugged up and back throughout to protect you sholder structure.

3.) Try to have you legs and back extend at the same time ie: dont straighten legs then back.

4.) Use big plates otherwise the bar will be too low

5.) Slide the bar up the shins and keep the bar close to the body throughout.

6.) dont bend the arms - see the arms as chains with hooks on the end.

7.) rest and grow.

·
Even if it's too heavy....lift it!
2,173 Posts
xxxsecurity said:
it was a strange reaction as my breathing really struggled as if i had been severely winded to the point where i nearly passed out.
do you mean by winded you had trouble breathing due to pain/restriction?

or you just had problems breathing because you felt faint? anything over 200 buddy and i see stars for 10 seconds a wee bit after finishing 1st set. weird, the other sets i am ok with.

·
Newbie Trainer
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
restriction definitley, i could only breathe in very short sharp bursts its kinda hard to explain but i felt my chest getting very tight with the difficulty in breathing, im far from an expert but it was like being winded and all i can think of is that i held my breath possibly.

·
Test Enth with a few little blue hearts. MP65688
1,498 Posts
Breathing is essential in deadlifts IMO, Breath when yuo life and release when go down, keep it controlled.

When you've finished your set, slowly get up, taking controlled deep breathes.

Also, do it parallel to a mirrior (allows you to monitor your back, if its bent you will have a more serious injury).

·
Premium Member
9,827 Posts
You might just need to get used to it. Like has been said make sure you are breathing correctly. Squats and dealifts are about the hardest lifts you can do. Learn to do them well and everything else is a walk in the park.

·
Batman
712 Posts
I get light headed after deads and squats, I guessed it was due to the sheer amount of blood flowing down hill.

Quickly wears off providing diet isn't particularly ****ty.

·
Even if it's too heavy....lift it!
2,173 Posts
xxxsecurity said:
restriction definitley, i could only breathe in very short sharp bursts its kinda hard to explain but i felt my chest getting very tight with the difficulty in breathing, im far from an expert but it was like being winded and all i can think of is that i held my breath possibly.
you could of pulled a muscle mate, or if your new to the game worked a muscle hard that you'd never worked before!

was the pain more round to one side on the chest? some people seem to mess their obliques when deadlifting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.