UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
22/6'6/128kg/Trying to become a monster
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, was looking for a bit of advice for hopefully improving my deadlift. I've got a pretty weak initial pick up on the deadlift and was wondering if there was anything I could do to strengthen this aspect of the lift particularly? Or is it just a case of carry on as I am and eventually it will improve? Cheers

·
Looking Freaky
662 Posts
when i deadlift i never pick the bar from the ground, i do mine on the squat rack, i found it did my back right it, my deadlift was about 50kg, im now at 105kg :) keep ur form right and keep adding say 2.5kg each set, and increase each week, worked for me :)

·
in a quest to grow and attain abs together
3,851 Posts
Ooomoo do you mean you put the bar onto the catchers of the squat rack and lifted from there? If so its a rack pull buddy :) different from a deadlift, all back and no leg drive used :beer:

Op what do you mean about your initial pick up? Describe what happens when you lift? Might just be a case of lower the weight and go from there

·
Newbie Trainer
18 Posts
Your deadlift will increase, like all exercises, over time.

Just make sure you concentrate on your form and each week try to keep progressing, whether thats by reps or added weight.

·
EFBB Winner
3,530 Posts
You've obviously heard sh!t loads about form and the importance of it.

Deads and squats require preaty much impeccable form. start off light and work from there. I find I start to round my back if I try to go to heavy.

I think hamstrings play a big part in the initail lift, as does grip strength, some maybe work on strengthening up the hams.

·
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers for all the replies. I agree, I make sure my form is as good as it can be, may suffer sometimes if im pushing it but that's only natural surely. I've managed to get to 3x5 with 150kg last back workout, no straps but using a belt, but i'm finding it hard to progress any further due to finding the first part of the exercise so hard.

@Ryan16 - By initial pick up i'm on about literally getting the bar of the ground, almost like i've got no power to drive it up off the floor. Might sound daft but once i've got the weight up it really doesn't seem so difficult to rep, it's just getting it up in the first place.

·
3,635 Posts
true what ryan said about doing them of a rack are rack pulls and take alot of the ham work out of the lift..

i always find the initial part of the dl the hardest, i put this down to weak hamstrings so i have started rack pulls ( like i said takeds hams out ) then do sldl to strengthen hams on leg day.

i have my dl up to 230kg for reps now and im not the biggest, i find at the start of the lift, look up to the ceiling, ar$e out (like a duck ) and drive with hips.

·
Test Enth with a few little blue hearts. MP65688
1,498 Posts
Personally this is what I do everytime;

Set the bar up and be paralell towards a mirror you can look at your technique and form (start of light) so you can monitor technique and form compfortably, this you will notice how much legs, how much vack your using.

Build the weight up and try and notice.

Once I got heavy I use less legs (although I shouldn't) but its a lot more comfortable for me.

Try using straps too!

·
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
warren_1987 said:
true what ryan said about doing them of a rack are rack pulls and take alot of the ham work out of the lift..

i always find the initial part of the dl the hardest, i put this down to weak hamstrings so i have started rack pulls ( like i said takeds hams out ) then do sldl to strengthen hams on leg day.

i have my dl up to 230kg for reps now and im not the biggest, i find at the start of the lift, look up to the ceiling, ar$e out (like a duck ) and drive with hips.
Might have to give these rack pulls a go for a bit, cheers for the advice.

Also did a bit more reading and box deadlifts came up, apparently there good as when you return to normal deadlift they feel like partials or something, anyone given them a go at all?

·
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
CJones said:
You've obviously heard sh!t loads about form and the importance of it.

Deads and squats require preaty much impeccable form. start off light and work from there. I find I start to round my back if I try to go to heavy.

I think hamstrings play a big part in the initail lift, as does grip strength, some maybe work on strengthening up the hams.
Cheers for the advice, I definitely will try get them up a bit.

I really want to reach a 200kg deadlift as it's probably my favourtie lift. If not i'll just have to start using height as an excuse :tongue: :whistling:

·
Premium Member
1,071 Posts
ooomoo said:
i mean i rest the bar on the rack, about waist heigh and lift it off there rather than the floor, dosnt do ur back in then lol
how can you deadlift with the weight starting at waist height? surely a dead lift has to be done from the floor, otherwise its not a dead lift and a totaly difrent exercise? :confused1:

·
UKBFF NORTH EAST SCOTTISH CHAMPIONSHIPS 2011, JUNI
1,352 Posts
Quinn92 said:
Hi guys, was looking for a bit of advice for hopefully improving my deadlift. I've got a pretty weak initial pick up on the deadlift and was wondering if there was anything I could do to strengthen this aspect of the lift particularly? Or is it just a case of carry on as I am and eventually it will improve? Cheers
if your weak point is the beggining then do deficits ;)

this will improve the start of your deadlift

google and research "deficit deadlifts"

good luck buddy :thumb:

·
whether you think 'you can' or think '
317 Posts
hey pal, technique is the key for deadlifts. master the technique and the weight will increase.

my main focus when i do mine is a fast drive thru the legs when lifting, but got to focus on form first

·
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dazzaemm2k7 said:
if your weak point is the beggining then do deficits ;)

this will improve the start of your deadlift

google and research "deficit deadlifts"

good luck buddy :thumb:
Cheers buddy, definitely going to give these ago for a while, appreciate the advice :)

spiderpants said:
hey pal, technique is the key for deadlifts. master the technique and the weight will increase.

my main focus when i do mine is a fast drive thru the legs when lifting, but got to focus on form first
Cheers for the input fella, think I might drop the weight for a bit and really focus on a fast drive like you said, keeping good form of course :)

·
Looking Freaky
662 Posts
jimmy79 said:
how can you deadlift with the weight starting at waist height? surely a dead lift has to be done from the floor, otherwise its not a dead lift and a totaly difrent exercise? :confused1:
AHHHHHH!!!!!! think i need to draw a picture lol...

I dont do the deadlifts waist height, the bar is resting on the rack at waste height, then i pick the bar up, and then i lower the bar to almost touching the floor then back up, after 8 reps i put the bar back on the rack at waste height to rest... get me now? :lol: :lol:

of i try and lift the bar straight from the floor it pulls muscles as im around 100kg`s now

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
ooomoo said:
AHHHHHH!!!!!! think i need to draw a picture lol...

I dont do the deadlifts waist height, the bar is resting on the rack at waste height, then i pick the bar up, and then i lower the bar to almost touching the floor then back up, after 8 reps i put the bar back on the rack at waste height to rest... get me now? :lol: :lol:

of i try and lift the bar straight from the floor it pulls muscles as im around 100kg`s now
You're probably not dropping your hips low enough, so you're using too much lower back and not enough hip drive.

Sumo Deadlifts are usually harder to break from the floor, conventional deadlifts are harder at the top of the movement.

If you're struggling from the floor with a conventional deadlift it's because you're not dropping your hips low enough.

·
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Switched from conventional deadlift to box deadlifts / deadlifts from a deficit today, dropped the weight a fair bit and really felt it. Tryed to get my hips as low as I could and really drive up, going to stick with them for a while then go back to conventional see if it helps.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.