UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Vanity is a Sin
6,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I may have mentioned before i have a bad back:yawn: Now I recently got some good advice from THS (thanks a lot mate) on squatting and have started again with 4 sets 12 reps and perfect form past 90 degrees (although THS advised 20's), started at 105kg and now upto 120kg (not big weights but ample enough to increase metabolism and core strength) tbh I could hardly breath after I'd finished the last set, so that is going well, bonus is after squats day my back feels better that ever:thumb:

Its got me thinking about deads again, the thing is I don't really want to go completely crazy as deads are the real killer on the back for me (I also love em), but, if I do deads (12 reps again and perfect ROM and form) do I have to go to failure or near failure, i was thinking of doing the same again except maybe holding a little more back, will it still be the excellent mass builder if not going to 100% balls an all. I was also wondering if partials are better than nothing at all, starting with bar maybe 18inch off ground in the cage, taking a lot of the strain off my lower back:beer:

·
EFBB Winner
3,552 Posts
I always prefer lower reps with Deads but I suppose this is a special situation.

Still personally I feel you more likely to strain/Injure your back as you start to fatigue when your form is less than prefect.

Id pick a weight you'd normally get 10 reps with (on the edge) and do a few solid sets of 5-6.

Powerlifters train for speed and pull every rep regardless of weight as if there was 300k on the bar. For Bodybuilding I would slow the reps down some and squeeze them out.

You can experiment with various heights/ranges maybe working back to full range as you get more confident.

In answer to your question though, Id say no, not to failure in this instance.

·
it rubs the lotion on its skin---or it gets the ho
1,508 Posts
thats good advice,i wudnt push deads if it means form is lost--invitation for injury,a great exercise properly done,one of most damaging if abused

·
Ex-mod
4,744 Posts
As long as you really watch your form (get someone who knows what they're talking about to spot you) you should be fine going hard on dl's! Back in the day I used to always start back with deads (20 reppers for warmup , 60kg - 100kg - 140kg and then work up in weight whilst dropping reps to failure. Once a month I'd got for low reps but not more often than that - I was a bodybuilder afterall ;) ) and it was the most fun I could have with my pants on. ;)

·
fat ginger
11,441 Posts
partials will work you just fine as well Tel,i gave up on deads from the floor a cple of years ago as i was saying in shauns getting massive blog,crippled me,been doing rack deads now for a cple years and they feel fantastic,i feel the focus of the contraction on my back far better than i ever did doing full range deads,and i'm yet to have any lower back/nerve damage from doing them this way either:)

·
Gym Addict
314 Posts
I'd rather partials than none but IMO nothing beats full deads with the best form possible. I dont sacrifice form for heavy weights and show patience in progression and iv been fine after an injury. My oaf mate who shifts a lot more than me , Sh*t form , nearly crapping when he reps, laffs at me. I'll have the last laugh im sure. Either that or he'll just get bigger lol

G

·
Partials hit the back just as much as from the floor, the floor activates more leg muscle fibers.

In your situation and in every situation failing on a deadlift is a bad idea, i would stick with sets of 6-8 reps using a weight you could do 10 reps with, deadlift is very taxing its not like other exercises where you have to go to complete failure to make the most of it.

G

·
(get someone who knows what they're talking about to spot you)
on a deadlift ?????

Dont go to faliure doing large amount of reps, i personally think i does not help, i have gone heavy and fail during the lift but i never have gone to failiure on lighter medium weights.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.