UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I'm completely new to this forum and to bodybuilding so excuse me for my lack of knowlege and understanding.

I was told that its impossible to gain muscle and to lose fat at the same time.

I was wandering can someone explain why to me in simple terms? If you can please word it in a way to best minimise confusion and maximise clarity.

From my understanding if you are eating say 200 calories less than your body uses in a day, your body will 'burn' into your fat storage for energy. However if you are eating high levels of protein that build the muscle and have a sufficient amount - no protein deficit in your diet, shouldn't that build your muscle up? So eating less calories overall but eating enough protein for muscle growth, while working out with weights and cardio should technically burn your fat storage while rebuilding muscle?

Now I'm not concerned with weight or mass too much although thats a byproduct in this equation, I'm only concerned witht the losing of body fat in physical appearance and gaining of muscle in size and appearance also.

Thanks for taking the time out to read this and thanks in advance for replying. I don't intend to cause arguments only wish to learn and understand.

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
Think of the body like a scale. It can be tipped on side or the other but not both sides simultaneously. If you're new to bodybuilding you can recomp to an extent but I feel this is just an illusion, and it won't last long. Even on drugs you can't really do both. Your body is doing one or the other. Even if your only eating protein, if you eat too much you'll put on fat. You have some reading to do

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I know i do have a lot of reading. I do believe you can't do both because I trust the more experienced members' advice over mine at this stage. It's just I don't like blindly following, I prefer to gain explanations and reasonings to confirm and solidfy the belief.

Im not saying to eat more protein than you need, that it turns into fat. Im saying to eat the right amount.

cant you lose fat by decreasing calories, while gaining muscles with sufficient protein maybe? I mean calories and nutrients are different things. You can have less calories but still have the same amount of protein.

I don't mean to come off stubborn or argumentative, its just i havent had a clear enough answer that I cant question anymore.

·
Premium Member
25,608 Posts
The basics of it is. ....

To build muscle you need to be in a calorie surplus

To lose fat you need to be in a calorie deficit

Obviously you can't do both at once hence why a lot of people bulk and cut.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The basics of it is. ....

To build muscle you need to be in a calorie surplus

To lose fat you need to be in a calorie deficit

Obviously you can't do both at once hence why a lot of people bulk and cut.
So muscles are not built purely on protein, it needs calories even if thats not in the form of protein?

If you are in a calorie surplus diet doesn't all the extra calories just turn into fat since its not being used?

·
Premium Member
25,608 Posts
So muscles are not built purely on protein, it needs calories even if thats not in the form of protein?
Yes and yes

Yes protein builds muscle but yes overall calories are needed too.

For example if you were in a calorie deficit on high protein you would lose fat and the high protein would help preserve the muscle.

When you bulk you can lower protein and up carbs and fats and you'll build muscle

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes and yes

Yes protein builds muscle but yes overall calories are needed too.

For example if you were in a calorie deficit on high protein you would lose fat and the high protein would help preserve the muscle.

When you bulk you can lower protein and up carbs and fats and you'll build muscle
Thanks alot. Makes more sense than when i started the thread.

One more thing... :tongue:

If when you are cutting you are losing fat and muscle, and when you are bulking you are gaining muscle and fat. Then wouldn't doing one after the other just end up with the same result as you started? Like cancel each other out?

Or is it that when you cut you lose more fat than muscle, and when you bulk you gain more muscle than fat?

·
Kinky lil Hussy
7,083 Posts
Thanks alot. Makes more sense than when i started the thread.

One more thing... :tongue:

If when you are cutting you are losing fat and muscle, and when you are bulking you are gaining muscle and fat. Then wouldn't doing one after the other just end up with the same result as you started? Like cancel each other out?

Or is it that when you cut you lose more fat than muscle, and when you bulk you gain more muscle than fat?
Not quite, if you cut but keep protein high them your aim is to drop water and fat whilst the protein helps maintain the muscle you've gained.

When you bulk there are two types. Clean or dirty, again the theory is if you clean bulk your attempting to add mass whilst keeping fat low, dirty bulk...... Your just trying to add sheer mass, and anythings game :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think one major problem with my understanding of this topic is that I don't know what the body would prioritise in what order.

When talking about cutting immediately my head thinks that the first thing the bodys doing is burning fat and doesnt need to get involved with the muscle repairing and leaves that to continue seperately.

when talking about bulking my mind just thinks extra calories = first thing your body does and prioritises is converting those calories into fat. But im sure thats where im wrong.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DLTBB that is a nice counter argument. That's what I was trying to explain but i think i didnt state clearly enough. There's so many sites saying you can do both and so many saying you can do one or the other its so hard to know what to believe. Thank you everyone for contributing though.

Can anyone also answer why your muscles need calories to build and grow? Like i know muscles need protein but why calories? If you add a calorie surplus wouldn't it be converted to fat because its a surplus?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
With that website link in mind, and lets say its true. Would that mean you can possibly only add muscle and lose fat if you are cutting. Because your body taps into and burns the fat while your protein intake helps with the growth of your muscle.

whereas when you are bulking your body can't tap into storage because theres more than enough energy in your diet.

complicated stuff out here...messes with my head

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.