UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Up until "97, I worked in Spain for a few years, before that I travelled the USA, France etc, working on beaches and where ever I could to sustain my lifestyle.
Came back in '97 as became a dad, and ended up bringing him up alone.
Promised myself that when he's old enough, Im back travelling again. So.......the time is near!

Im looking at Jan '23 to make the move fully to Thailand. Next year spending a couple of months, looking at condos etc. and making sure my business can run with me working remotely. (It will as did this in Budapest couple of years ago).
Top gym where I'll be living too.......major bonus!!!

Anyone else have similar plans or dreams of starting again?

·
Getting HUGE!
4,671 Posts
Honestly, when I was a lot younger and a lot less educated/informed, I use to say the same thing, this country is shit. But many years later, I honestly think we have it quite decent for the most part, not just including the "basics" that we all take for granted. We have one of the best support systems in the world, along with education, citizen's rights etc... it's not perfect by any means, by there is a reason we are ranked either top 5 or in top 10 of global economies.

I loved Thailand though, it would be a toss between there and Dubai, based on where I have been so far

·
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly, when I was a lot younger and a lot less educated/informed, I use to say the same thing, this country is shit. But many years later, I honestly think we have it quite decent for the most part, not just including the "basics" that we all take for granted. We have one of the best support systems in the world, along with education, citizen's rights etc... it's not perfect by any means, by there is a reason we are ranked either top 5 or in top 10 of global economies.

I loved Thailand though, it would be a toss between there and Dubai, based on where I have been so far
I couldn't do Dubai as internet calling is blocked, and my business runs on a VOiP system. But to be honest, the place doesn't do anything for me.

I know Thailand is a bit of a 3rd world country, also lots of corruption etc, but....I love the place. Got many friends over there too.

My original plan was 6 months Spain then 6 Months Thailand, but Brexit put a stop to that with only 90 days stay in a 180 day period!

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
I dunno, where else are you going to get a climate as great as ours? we get to enjoy 4 distinct seasons in this country and it is only when you stay elsewhere for an extended time that you appreciate this. One of the most beautiful sights I have ever seen is the rolling green fields of England from a few thousand feet on a flight back from Iraq.

Also, although they are getting a lot of stick recently, if I ever found myself in a real dodgy situation and the police are called I would rather be in the UK at that precise moment than any other country on earth.

·
Premium Member
3,064 Posts
Up until "97, I worked in Spain for a few years, before that I travelled the USA, France etc, working on beaches and where ever I could to sustain my lifestyle.
Came back in '97 as became a dad, and ended up bringing him up alone.
Promised myself that when he's old enough, Im back travelling again. So.......the time is near!

Im looking at Jan '23 to make the move fully to Thailand. Next year spending a couple of months, looking at condos etc. and making sure my business can run with me working remotely. (It will as did this in Budapest couple of years ago).
Top gym where I'll be living too.......major bonus!!!

Anyone else have similar plans or dreams of starting again?
Yeah. Wanna move to Thailand myself. Have a 7 year old boy though so gotta wait till he’s old enough to leave school etc.

·
Getting HUGE!
4,671 Posts
I dunno, where else are you going to get a climate as great as ours? we get to enjoy 4 distinct seasons in this country and it is only when you stay elsewhere for an extended time that you appreciate this. One of the most beautiful sights I have ever seen is the rolling green fields of England from a few thousand feet on a flight back from Iraq.

Also, although they are getting a lot of stick recently, if I ever found myself in a real dodgy situation and the police are called I would rather be in the UK at that precise moment than any other country on earth.
1000% agree with you regarding our justice system and even our political system. Again not perfect but othrt countries just scare me in comparison.

Like the US, even with just a "witness" with no colloborating evidence against you, it's still enough to have you found guilty of a crime. I think we are also alot more diverse in our acceptance of ethnic backgrounds compared to most others although again Thailand most are extremely friendly and respectful of each other from my experience.

·
Premium Member
6,422 Posts
I used to think I want to move somwhere but had kids. Got divorced would never leave my kids now. What I did instead is buy a two bed apartment on the north coast of Northern Ireland which I’m more than happy with. I go up most weekends off or periods off work. When not using i rent out cheap to family and friends who just leave it as they found it.

Eventually I plan to retire on the northcoast of Northern Ireland which is a much better place than south Armagh.

·
Newbie Trainer
1,746 Posts
Whenever I think of anyone wanting to move to Thailand I immediately think of ageing balding british pervets who want to suck off young boys 🤷‍♂️

·
Gym Addict
4,365 Posts
it's not perfect by any means, by there is a reason we are ranked either top 5 or in top 10 of global economies.
Unfortunately Brits seem to overestimate how well of we are as a country and/or how poor the rest of the world is. The standard of living for the average man on the street in the U.K. is comparable to countries like Malta and only slightly better than Israel.

And we are falling fast. 100 years ago we were the richest country in the world. By 1960 we were 12th richest, by 1990 we were 24th, today we are the 32nd richest country (GDP per capita).

·
Non Nissan Note Driver
3,465 Posts
I wont be. I'll be taking a long rent on a condo. Very cheap at the moment for 12 month agreements. Looking around £250 per month for 1 bed 1 bath, fully furnished, views etc, pool.
Great place to live.

If you’ve been, you know, if you haven’t, you’ll never understand. Said the same to my mates and they got back and they’re like yeh there’s no way to explain.

·
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Whenever I think of anyone wanting to move to Thailand I immediately think of ageing balding british pervets who want to suck off young boys 🤷‍♂️
Why is it, only some people come to this conclusion? Must be something that makes them think this?
Others mention ladyboys, but you say young boys.....Worrying!!!

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Agree with @lewdylewd who said the brits over estimate how good we have it here (compared to other first world developed nations), in the past for sure but in the last 15 years no chance.

Our quality of life is average, the weather is shit, the house prices are so over inflated for tiny sq ft its a joke, wages are relatively low compared to other first world nations for comparable experience, everything other than supermarket food/second hand cars is very expensive, we are one of the most cramped/over populated islands on earth, our education is actually average (look at our lack of language ability) & unproductivity, our public services are so over extended. we have completely lost our identity as a nation & our police are a soft touch + we have a poor mentality towards diet/health (fat man of Europe)

There are many countries in Europe & Asia far ahead of us.

Enjoy Thailand, great place.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
That would be Cambodia, never went there when I was a single guy traveling for that reason. Has some lovely spots from what I have seen and heard but the friggen stigma associated with it.

·
Premium Member
9,018 Posts
...... You think Thailand is a better place than the UK........ 🙄

It's the murder gun capital of the whole of South East Asia.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts