UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a bit confused about fruit, i.e. insulin spike, unwanted carbs if cutting, etc.

So my question is: Should we be eating fruit for bodybuilding and if so, when (cut or bulk) and at what time of day is the best time to eat it and for what reason?
 

·
Rising from the ashes
Joined
·
8,231 Posts
Cliff said:
Just a bit confused about fruit, i.e. insulin spike, unwanted carbs if cutting, etc.

So my question is: Should we be eating fruit for bodybuilding and if so, when (cut or bulk) and at what time of day is the best time to eat it and for what reason?
apart from the odd banana, and almost frozen grapes when I crave sweet n crunchy on a prep, I am not a fan of fruit really.

Can't put my finger on why, just never been that into it.

I tend to think sugar is sugar on a diet, and Id rather have a coffee with two sugars as a treat, rather than an apple.

I know this is ignoring all the other claimed benefits of fruit... but there you are.

oh wait

I eat tonnes of that mandarin cheese cake out of Tesco - and as they themselves say, every little helps :lol:
 

·
Unless you're a bodybuilder you only rent food
Joined
·
5,555 Posts
Just to add some fuel to the fire :wink: :

Different fruits contain different proportions of fructose and glucose, either separately, or together as sucrose. Apples for instance have much more fructose than glucose.

Fructose causes much less of an insulin spike than glucose or sucrose, and has a much lower GI.

Now a lower insulin spike is considered to be beneficial at some times, and a higher spike at others.

Anyway, fruit is good for bodybuilders because it contains vits, minerals and anti-oxidant bioflavonoids; fruit acids help digestion of proteins and fats; also, fruit carbs are shorter-lived than other complex carbs and so make controlling your carb intake easier and more predictable.
 

·
Test Enth with a few little blue hearts. MP65688
Joined
·
1,498 Posts
Prodiver said:
Just to add some fuel to the fire :wink: :

Different fruits contain different proportions of fructose and glucose, either separately, or together as sucrose. Apples for instance have much more fructose than glucose.

Fructose causes much less of an insulin spike than glucose or sucrose, and has a much lower GI.

Now a lower insulin spike is considered to be beneficial at some times, and a higher spike at others.

Anyway, fruit is good for bodybuilders because it contains vits, minerals and anti-oxidant bioflavonoids; fruit acids help digestion of proteins and fats; also, fruit carbs are shorter-lived than other complex carbs and so make controlling your carb intake easier and more predictable.
Great advice there!

I like to keep my fruits for time of the day where i'm low down on energy or i'll have a few cherries, banana and a whey shake after the gym. I find it helps a lot.

As with everything, its all about moderation. Try and get more "super fruits", they're packed with nutrients (such as raspberries, blackberries, cherries and red grapes).

However, I myself can fall victim to the sweet taste...I've had 400g of cherries each day quite a few times...Now i've developed a talent with my tounge and i can speed eat them, suppose it'd be great if i were gay.

:lol:
 

·
Unless you're a bodybuilder you only rent food
Joined
·
5,555 Posts
Superfruits!?

I've always considered raspberries, blackberries, cherries and red grapes normal fruit and have always eaten loads.

Redcurrants, whitecurrants, blackcurrants, strawberries, loganberries, plums, cherryplums, apricots, peaches, nectarines - MMMMM! Delicious!
 

·
Test Enth with a few little blue hearts. MP65688
Joined
·
1,498 Posts
Prodiver said:
Superfruits!?

I've always considered raspberries, blackberries, cherries and red grapes normal fruit and have always eaten loads.

Redcurrants, whitecurrants, blackcurrants, strawberries, loganberries, plums, cherryplums, apricots, peaches, nectarines - MMMMM! Delicious!
Only considering them super fruits due to recent studies claiming their high anti oxidant and vit c values, which are highly benefitial to any athlete or health nut.

Damn i'm getting hungry now, two tubs of cherries in the fridge, tub of strawberries, bunch of bananas, tub of grapes, apples, pear (apparently very good due to fibre content), oranges.

I want to make a fruit smoothie, shame parents are in bed. Wake up call? :lol:

So if you had to live on one fruit, which would it be then?
 

·
Unless you're a bodybuilder you only rent food
Joined
·
5,555 Posts
Well, my absolute favourite fruit is raspberries! :thumb:

Amazing flavour like nothing else...

Raspberries, raspberries and cream, raspberry pavlova, raspberry pie - cheat day feasts! - MMMMM!
 

·
Member
Joined
·
348 Posts
i just read an article on george farah the nutritionist of branch warren and he said if you leave fruit out of your diet you are making a big mistake because they are full vits antioxidants etc which we need
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,863 Posts
I took some advise recently. I was struggling to get my food in for the day as apetite was dreadful and full all the time. I have added an apple into two of my main big meals each day, and now my apetite is so much better and i am hungrier all the time. ITs due to it helping with the digestion of protein and carbs like Patrick has said. This in itself is good enough reason for me to add in fruit every day. and apples are alot lower g.i carbs than other fruits so suits me too.......
 

·
Optimum nutrition Rep
Joined
·
10,834 Posts
kieren1234 said:
I took some advise recently. I was struggling to get my food in for the day as apetite was dreadful and full all the time. I have added an apple into two of my main big meals each day, and now my apetite is so much better and i am hungrier all the time. ITs due to it helping with the digestion of protein and carbs like Patrick has said. This in itself is good enough reason for me to add in fruit every day. and apples are alot lower g.i carbs than other fruits so suits me too.......
you must know some clever people :whistling:
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top