UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Newbie Trainer
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

Im a complete novice when it comes down to training and gym equipment and I need some help getting started with a routine.

Im 24 years old, im 13 stone and i'm 5ft11. I need help on building my arms up there fairly skinny and I need help losing weight on my body, ive got a beer gut which isnt cool and im slowly beginning to get man boobs (they need to go :confused1: )

Its about time I stopped being so lazy and done something about it, So I have recently joined a gym. Because I am not use to lifting weights and not confident with them I am going to stick with the weight machines for now so theres less chances of hurting my self because I dont know what I am doing.

I would appreciate it so much if somebody could put me a routine together focusing on losing weight on my torso and building up muscles on my arms and legs.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to reading you replies :)

·
For 5% off at myprotein.co.uk use code MP15618462
1,360 Posts
In a nutshell. Combine a mixture of cardio and weightlifting, focusing on compound movements such as Bench Press, Shoulder Press, Squat, Deadlift, Pull ups, Dips, Rows.

Start with 12-15 reps and up to 3 set per exercise, until you get your technique spot-on and then start to go heavier once you have the confidence.

Diet and rest is very important, even more so than training itself.

My advice would be, don't go in too hard to begin with, find yourself a good routine, sort your diet out and go from there.

·
"Our Keith's miles bigger than you"
3,176 Posts
How do.

Well done on joining the gym.

5'11'' and 13st aint a bad position to be starting from at all.

You need a complete routine, not just one for arms and legs. Besides, working other muscle groups indirectly work your arms. Problems can arise with posture if you neglect some muscle groups but work others.

As you're a complete beginner you won't know that fat can't be removed from just one place at a time (in your case, it's your torso), it's something that you have to accept. Weightloss takes time.

No issues with sticking with the machines at first. They're ideal for you.

You haven't indicated being super physically fit is a goal so, regular low intensity cardio like fast paced walking for 45 mins either as soon as you wake before eating anything, or straight after your weights session. Preferably every day. But as often as you can manage.

As you lose weight, you'll get fitter anyway.

What's your diet like?

I wouldn't reccomend squats and deadlifts for a complete beginner.

Stick with the leg press machine to 'mimic' squats.

Deadlifts are very hard and can be dangerous when done wrong.

·
Newbie Trainer
17 Posts
suliktribal said:
How do.

Well done on joining the gym.

5'11'' and 13st aint a bad position to be starting from at all.

You need a complete routine, not just one for arms and legs. Besides, working other muscle groups indirectly work your arms. Problems can arise with posture if you neglect some muscle groups but work others.

As you're a complete beginner you won't know that fat can't be removed from just one place at a time (in your case, it's your torso), it's something that you have to accept. Weightloss takes time.

No issues with sticking with the machines at first. They're ideal for you.

You haven't indicated being super physically fit is a goal so, regular low intensity cardio like fast paced walking for 45 mins either as soon as you wake before eating anything, or straight after your weights session. Preferably every day. But as often as you can manage.

As you lose weight, you'll get fitter anyway.

What's your diet like?
Thankyou for the advice its much appreciated, My diet wasnt the best before I started the gym it involved alot of takeaways but dont worry I have cut them out. I eat alot of tuna chicken and pasta at the moment but havnt really thought about a strick diet as of yet.

How many reps/sets would you recommend me to do? I can comfortably managed between 25 - 35kg is more weight and less reps better?

Everybody seems so helpfull and friendly on here unlike some forums thanks agian :thumb: ps if I do cardio after eating a meal will i lose weight? or should I eat after cardio? sorry for sounding stupid I will get to grips with it

·
"Our Keith's miles bigger than you"
3,176 Posts
niceguy1 said:
Thankyou for the advice its much appreciated, My diet wasnt the best before I started the gym it involved alot of takeaways but dont worry I have cut them out. I eat alot of tuna chicken and pasta at the moment but havnt really thought about a strick diet as of yet.

How many reps/sets would you recommend me to do? I can comfortably managed between 25 - 35kg is more weight and less reps better?

Everybody seems so helpfull and friendly on here unlike some forums thanks agian :thumb: ps if I do cardio after eating a meal will i lose weight? or should I eat after cardio? sorry for sounding stupid I will get to grips with it
You're welcome.

In general, more weight is better for strength and size. You may have heard the popular myth "light weight and high reps to tone"

In general, lifting light weights isn't good for growth because your muscles can easily handle it and dont become stressed enough to adapt (grow).

A good rep range to start of with would be 3 sets of 10. Use a weight that's heavy enough to make the 9th rep hard and 10th rep very hard.

Once you can easily do 10 reps on all 3 sets, add more weight. (might take weeks or months, be patient)

The idea behind not eating before you do cardio (if you choose to do it when just woke) is that basically, there's no fuel in your body (food) so it HAS to use fat for energy.

That's why I also said after weights is good too. Less fuel because you've just used it up lifting weights, so your body is more likely to use fat.

Don't eat a meal before working out. You'll feel awful!

·
Newbie Trainer
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
suliktribal said:
You're welcome.

In general, more weight is better for strength and size. You may have heard the popular myth "light weight and high reps to tone"

In general, lifting light weights isn't good for growth because your muscles can easily handle it and dont become stressed enough to adapt (grow).

A good rep range to start of with would be 3 sets of 10. Use a weight that's heavy enough to make the 9th rep hard and 10th rep very hard.

Once you can easily do 10 reps on all 3 sets, add more weight. (might take weeks or months, be patient)

The idea behind not eating before you do cardio (if you choose to do it when just woke) is that basically, there's no fuel in your body (food) so it HAS to use fat for energy.

That's why I also said after weights is good too. Less fuel because you've just used it up lifting weights, so your body is more likely to use fat.

Don't eat a meal before working out. You'll feel awful!
I'm off to the gym now with your advice I'm feeling very motivated. Iv noticed your from rochdale I live near bury :)

·
Newbie Trainer
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
suliktribal said:
Yep, Rochdale unfortunately!

How was the workout?
Ha ha Rochdale is'nt that bad :whistling:

work out when well but im suffering today, I cant lift my arms above my head is this normal?

I done 10 extra minutes on cyling and running than the previous session so that was good, I struggled with the weights tho couldnt manage many set as my arms were still aching from mondays session.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.