UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Newbie Trainer
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive basically had my first weights session in a year as I tore ligaments in my chest, spent a year partying and hoping it would recover and it appears it healed incorrectly. Further treatment is supposed to have corrected it but it remains but that is not what this is about. I had my appendix removed about 2months ago, was a slightly bigger op than the norm.

Despite being off the weights and partying i am a pretty athletic guy and will always be doing some sort of sport/exercise or I go brain dead. My cardio fitness is still very very good despite dropping a lot of muscle and replacing it with fat.

However today was a tester session for me, I planned to go very light in order to suss out where my recovery was. It still seems chest dips are out (how i injured myself in the first place.) Aside from that I was lifting nearly 50% of what I was lifting before (DB bench).....and it felt a stuggle!? I was very very shocked I dont think I would have struggled as much as that early into when i started lifting. I also noticed my strength sapped fairly quickly. For example I used to be able to bang out 3 sets of 10reps of chins with added weight. With no added weight today I managed 8.....then 6....then 4. In fairness I was doing antagonist training so was doing pressups in between this with a minutes rest, but its still so so so far off where I was, I was not expecting this at all.

Anyone gone through this have any tips? Seems far too steep a drop.

·
.....train hard or fcuk off!!!
2,041 Posts
What did you expect mate, you said you havn't done any weights in a year!!!

You'll prob get you strentgh back quicker than it took you to build it up in the first place coz of muscle memory, but a year is a long time, just have a bit of patience and don't rush in and get injured again!! :thumbup1:

·
Newbie Trainer
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True, am being a bit retarded I guess, was just shocked by the level of the drop.

One thing that is confusing me is how hard to go at it from the off. For example I was thinking of running a starting strength routine for 6-8weeks to get my strength back up. But I also want to go back to football, and get into either boxing/taekwondo or both! To be honest this wouldnt have worried me before as I was used to training multiple times a day but now im worried if im this active, it will hold back gains in the gym - especially due to time constraints and therefore not eating enough.

Im guessing most would advise to go slowly at it?

·
.....train hard or fcuk off!!!
2,041 Posts
As long as you eat enough calories you'll grow, but if your doing football, boxing and tae kwando you'll need a fcuking sh!tload!!! :)

Seems you want to be a jack of all trades, master of none!!

BBing takes a LOT commitment to be done well, far more than i put in........and i put in quite a bit!!

·
Newbie Trainer
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Suppose its a bit true, I have no aspirations to be a BB or PL, at 22 would be too late I imagine anyway. I aim towards becoming a more and more powerful athlete.

But yeah think im best limiting myself to footy, boxing and weights at the moments till my recovery is improved enough to handle everything

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.