UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Stopped buying protein from bulk and my protein around 5 months ago. I used to pick up one or two other things also which I no longer do. I suspect there will be a lot more people like me. I have been a loyal customer since they started up supplying their protein in big clear poly bin bags. Good luck replacing guys like me who have been in it for the long run. I've made the switch to real food and won't be back. By the way, guess what, I haven't lost any muscle and have continued to make gains in muscle and strength.

Changed out the powdered protein for real food sources which has been surprisingly easy as there are so many good quality low priced protein sources from the likes of Lidl and aldi. You just need to think about and plan out your meals a little bit better, but it's pretty easy adjusting once you get into the groove of it.

I get the cost of living impact will be a driver on prices, but has any other commodity outwith energy seen as high an increase in price as protein powder.....I mean have we seen such increases in the price of any other dairy products, cheese, milk, etc? If not, you can only assume that the likes of myprotein and bulk are taking the piss.

It's only a good business model if people buy your product.....time will tell.

·
Premium Member
7,477 Posts
Dunno, but I reckon there must be a semi-industrial whey market (animal feed etc.) where 25kg sacks are cheap as chips…

There again it might just be my blue-sky thinking 😆 View attachment 216464
There used to be until my protein signed like a 25 year deal to buy it all and started pumping their prices up. All bulk suppliers are absolutely price gouging.

·
Premium Member
3,050 Posts
Boycotted them this month, I’ve been buying them the last few years as I like the isolate however the last 6 months or so have been a joke - they obviously track the website too and increase loyal customers more.

when I signed into my account and applied a discount code it was about 25£ a kilo maybe more, then when I used the wife’s phone without an account and used the same discount code it was about 20-21£ a kilo.

This month I brought ON gold standard, 4.5kg for £80 so much cheaper, albeit not isolate. I refuse to use my protein now after the above.

also just hate the ‘massive up to 80% off’ bullshit emails, promos etc when it’s just an uplifted price to start with. Dishonesty at its core

·
Registered
495 Posts
Boycotted them this month, I’ve been buying them the last few years as I like the isolate however the last 6 months or so have been a joke - they obviously track the website too and increase loyal customers more.

when I signed into my account and applied a discount code it was about 25£ a kilo maybe more, then when I used the wife’s phone without an account and used the same discount code it was about 20-21£ a kilo.

This month I brought ON gold standard, 4.5kg for £80 so much cheaper, albeit not isolate. I refuse to use my protein now after the above.

also just hate the ‘massive up to 80% off’ bullshit emails, promos etc when it’s just an uplifted price to start with. Dishonesty at its core
Don't even bother looking at the sites now when I receive the 50%, 80% texts / emails as I know it will just be bullsh!t with even their lowest prices protein still anywhere between £20-£30 per kg, lol.

There must be some amount of mugs still out there if the current pricing strategy is hitting their forecast targets.

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
Some examples

- Applied Nutrition 2KG - £35 - 67 servings - 20g protein per serving - Whey protein (0.52p per 20g protein)

- Optimum Nutrition Whey 2.2KG - £49.99 - 73 servings - 24g protein per serving - (0.68p per 24g protein)

- MyProtein Impact Whey 1KG - £39.99 - 40 servings - 21g protein per serving - (0.99 per 21g protein)

edit; granted this is not with any discount codes applied to MyProtein, however I would much prefer ON or Applied if it was close price wise with discounts added

My question is why would you buy MyProtein when you could by ON or Applied Nutrition who are better in my opinion anyway and nearly half the price per serving.

·
Registered
47 Posts
MP are still one of the cheapest if you buy a 5kg bag an apply their fairly standard 45% discount.

Other brands are also charging more for whey. It is a larger issue. A lot of shops are having to put their prices up as the brands are charging more due to increased costs to stock their products.

I spoke to someone yesterday who owns a supplement brand. He was offering a discount code on all items except the Whey as he would be making a loss on it.

·
Premium Member
7,477 Posts
Some examples

- Applied Nutrition 2KG - £35 - 67 servings - 20g protein per serving - Whey protein (0.52p per 20g protein)

- Optimum Nutrition Whey 2.2KG - £49.99 - 73 servings - 24g protein per serving - (0.68p per 24g protein)

- MyProtein Impact Whey 1KG - £39.99 - 40 servings - 21g protein per serving - (0.99 per 21g protein)

edit; granted this is not with any discount codes applied to MyProtein, however I would much prefer ON or Applied if it was close price wise with discounts added

My question is why would you buy MyProtein when you could by ON or Applied Nutrition who are better in my opinion anyway and nearly half the price per serving.
It's not just them. It's all bulk suppliers now.

Scum bags

·
Premium Member
7,477 Posts
MP are still one of the cheapest if you buy a 5kg bag an apply their fairly standard 45% discount.

Other brands are also charging more for whey. It is a larger issue. A lot of shops are having to put their prices up as the brands are charging more due to increased costs to stock their products.

I spoke to someone yesterday who owns a supplement brand. He was offering a discount code on all items except the Whey as he would be making a loss on it.
No, they're not.
180 quid with 45% off isn't the cheapest by far.

·
Premium Member
7,477 Posts

The full price for isolate on there is 268 quid for 5kg.

They'd need a 90% off to make it even interesting 😂

·
Premium Member
7,477 Posts
I just can't believe that any sane person are buying at these prices, or that they can be selling much.
Yup.

Mental. Actually cheaper buying steak on a gram for gram protein basis.

Imagine how much beef of your choice you'd get fro nearly 300 quid.

Concentrate is about 170 for 5kg. Can buy individual 1kg bags from home bargains etc for much less. Even with 50% off at my protein.

Not paying 85 quid for protein powder.

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts

I smell an MP brand ambassador here 🐀

·
Registered
47 Posts
£180 with 45% discount for 5kgs (200 servings) is 49.5p per serving. What reputable brand is cheaper than that??

49.5p per serving is cheap compared to all other products out there on the market. ON is 60p per serving. Even applied nutrition is more expensive and they're one of the cheapest reputable brands out there.

No, they're not.
180 quid with 45% off isn't the cheapest by far.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts