UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Getting HUGE!
Joined
·
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want to ask your advice/opinions on this. My cars not been well and eventually got worse and I found there was water mixing with the oil.

I thought it was the head gasket, the car was still starting fine and even running fine (even tho I wasnt driving it about). So I tried getting it back to the guys that had just rebuilt it a few months ago (as it was an older car and in need of a new rebuild) but they havent got room for it as they were fully booked.

I found another guy that was well established and had a good rep, after a few weeks I called them to see how its doing and he tells me that he was going to call me to tell me that they have stripped the entire engine and every nut and bolt is out the engine bay!

I told them i was expecting it to be just the head gasket like we 1st spoke about, and wasnt expecting a full engine removal and strip!

So, he tells me it will be at least £900 for the strip and machine work and another £400 for the labour (and thats only at this stage!) so I said not to do anymore! I will take it back to the guys that originally did the build to fix it.

So now they wat £400 for the labour! and as the machine work hasnt yet been done they are going to let me know how much they are going to charge on to for the machinists time to check all the parts that need machining!?

So I'm prob looking at around £700 without having any work done and just getting a large box of bits that used to be my car engine.

Do I have any leg to stand on here? Do I have to pat all this money? as I didnt agree to having the entire engine stripped and wasnt told they were going to strip it until I called them myself.

I am going to have to pay to get my car transported back home to me as well.

Just wondering what you guys would pay? How much would be acceptable amount to pay someone to 'just check' the car? as its had no work done, apart from stripped out....which I didnt agree to.

But I do understand that its taken him time to do that, and I was only expecting just the head gasket to be done? Do i still pay for the head gasket even though its not been done?

I dunno what to pay for anymore, but I'm a bit gutted paying to have my car turned into a box of nuts and bolts!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,863 Posts
I would pay fcuk all because they havnt done what you asked them to do, but done everything you didnt ask. If anything they should be paying you to get it sorted now its in bits!!!!!!!

If there was water mixed with the oil, the head gasket would be the very first thing to check so why they have completely stripped the engine is beyond me.

I would seriously advise a visit to the Citizens Advice Bureau.
 

·
Beat the Bastards
Joined
·
1,253 Posts
tell him bollocks, cnut should have done as you asked then given you a call with a diagnosis or if anything else needed doing, block test only takes 5 mins to look and see if some liquid changes colour. Yes as Kieran says, take it further they will more than likely cop for the bill themselfs.
 

·
Getting HUGE!
Joined
·
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kieren1234 said:
I would pay fcuk all because they havnt done what you asked them to do, but done everything you didnt ask. If anything they should be paying you to get it sorted now its in bits!!!!!!!

If there was water mixed with the oil, the head gasket would be the very first thing to check so why they have completely stripped the engine is beyond me.

I would seriously advise a visit to the Citizens Advice Bureau.
Thanks mate, I was thinking about Cit Advice just as I was writing this on here... I might do that tomorrow then. The more I think about it, the more it seems crazy they didnt even let me know they was taking the entire engine apart!
 

·
Getting HUGE!
Joined
·
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nobody said:
tell him bollocks, cnut should have done as you asked then given you a call with a diagnosis or if anything else needed doing, block test only takes 5 mins to look and see if some liquid changes colour. Yes as Kieran says, take it further they will more than likely cop for the bill themselfs.
Thats what I thought when he said he 'was' going to call me. But when I'm on the phone I dont like be act like a wnker... and just try and be decent... I didnt want to have a go at him about it...as he's still got my car.
 

·
Extreme Labs Ambassador
Joined
·
11,577 Posts
need to get some legal junk available to threaten them with if the start getting shi.tty. If they think you know your stuff then they wont answer back as they should realise you could take them to court and get even more money.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,863 Posts
Bulk1 said:
Thanks mate, I was thinking about Cit Advice just as I was writing this on here... I might do that tomorrow then. The more I think about it, the more it seems crazy they didnt even let me know they was taking the entire engine apart!
Disgusting mate. Get onto them asap and dont leave it too long. Do you have proof of any quotes they gave you for the HG doing?
 

·
Getting HUGE!
Joined
·
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
PowerHouseMcGru said:
need to get some legal junk available to threaten them with if the start getting shi.tty. If they think you know your stuff then they wont answer back as they should realise you could take them to court and get even more money.
Thanks, I think I will speak to another garage who I know and ask them what they think, or how they would go about charging me? and also give CIT advice a call.

He said he's going to call me back when he's got the total costs...so it could be tomorrow.. not sure if I should tell him then that I dont think I should have to pay that or not.
 

·
Getting HUGE!
Joined
·
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
kieren1234 said:
Disgusting mate. Get onto them asap and dont leave it too long. Do you have proof of any quotes they gave you for the HG doing?
No, it was over the phone.. but that was going to be around £300.
 

·
Getting HUGE!
Joined
·
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
chrisj28 said:
The guy in the garage is a chancer by the sounds of it.
Something else he said was... he was charging me for the 1 and half days labour taking the car to bits...(he wasnt aggressive or anything though) that was the labour.
 

·
Getting HUGE!
Joined
·
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The thing is that I'm not sure about is....I took it there agreeing to have the head gasket done? so I have agreed to have the engine worked on... but when I called it wasnt what I agreed to. So, he has done a lot of work on it.. but i think he was trying to diagnose the fault. So I dont know if thats my responsibilty as I asked to have the head gasket fixed and he's looked into it?
 

·
Gym Addict
Joined
·
418 Posts
unfortunately with cars unless you spend time assessing the damage (which could mean a strip down you don't know the issue). So no matter how harsh it is I would expect to pay the labour costs of the strip down. However he should of discussed this before he started!!!
 
1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top