UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Looking Freaky
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically I came to the end of my last routine and have just started a new job and gym etc so I thought now is as good as time as any to get knuckled down with a solid routine/plan

So far im thinking of doing 3 WO's a week (mon-wed-fri)

and quite like the look/reviews of Lyle Mcdonalds generic bulking routine ( http://jcdfitness.com/wp-content/dow...outine_FAQ.pdf ) basically a 3-4 Upper/lower body split

but the thing is Im aiming mainly to build my upper body as my legs are already big as I focused alot on squats and deads in previous routines (and cant afford to allow my work trousers to get skin tight! around my quads! )

so I was thinking of doing Upper / Lower / Upper and repeating every week (not alternating) in abid to just maintain legs. Does this seem ok?

The exercises are these;

Upper (Mon-Fri)

Bench Press/Seated Chest press machine (dual axis so its more like db bench press) (3-4 sets, 6-8 reps, 2-3 min rest)

Seated Underhand Row/BO Row (machine) (same reps/sets as above)

Sholder Press (machine/DB) (2-3 sets, 10-12 reps, 2 min rest)

Seated Pulldowns (machine) (will start alternating with chins)(same sets as above)

Preacher curl (machine/bb) (1-2 sets, 12-15 reps, 1.5min rest)

SkullCrushers (same sets as above)

(the reps/sets/rests are as laid out by Lyle Mcdonald. Im not sure about the 12-15 range but am willing to try it)

Lower (Wed)

BB Squat (3-4 sets, 6-8 reps, 2-3 min rest)

Lying leg curl (machine for hams) (same as above)

Leg press (machine) (2-3 sets, 10-12 reps, 2 min rest)

Seated Leg curl (machine / hams) (same as above)

Leg Extensions (Machine / Quads) (same as above)

Standing Calf raises (machine) (3-4 sets, 6-8 reps, 2-3 min rest)

Core work (back extensions / crunches & leg raises) (1-2 sets, 12-15 reps, 1.5min rest)

Does this sound ok to get started on? I know theres alot of machine work there but my when I go to the gym the free weights are rammed packed and the machines seem to be working ok

I Think there may be alot in the lower day but I only hit it once a week so I wanted to hit it hard!

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Im currently working out my calories so that I gain a steady ~.5 lb a week and after about 6 weeks on this routine I will deload and deciede wether to bulk more or go on a mini cut

Cheers for reading!

·
Advanced Personal Trainer & Nutrition Advisor. Boa
3,527 Posts
In all honesty looks ok, personally I couldn't do it that way I'd prefer to do a push/legs/pull split since you are repeating the same every week as opposed to alternating between them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.