UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I recently figured out that in order for me to lose fat I will have to eat 1600 calories a day but I am confused about macros and their importance. If i hit my calorie target but go over on fat or carbs or protein is that bad and will that hinder my goal of losing fat?? Because I am finding very hard to get everything bang on as one will spill over or maybe two macros will be over?

Any help would be great thanks.

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
Hi,

I recently figured out that in order for me to lose fat I will have to eat 1600 calories a day but I am confused about macros and their importance. If i hit my calorie target but go over on fat or carbs or protein is that bad and will that hinder my goal of losing fat?? Because I am finding very hard to get everything bang on as one will spill over or maybe two macros will be over?

Overall calories are what matter, don't over complicate things.

Going under/over by say 30 cals won't matter much in the long run.

Macros.

1g per lb of body weight in protein (150lb person = 150g protein).

set fats to 75g

Rest rest of calories from carbs.

What do you weigh in lbs?

Your carbs look super low to me.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Hi,

How are you tracking them? Yeah all to do with calories. Protein obviously the most important as the general idea is to keep it high in a cut to hold onto muscle (especially if your natty) with the carbs and fats up to yourself. More calories in a gram of fat than a carb though so keep that in mind. Doesn't matter really going over macros as long as you stay within your calorie goal

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Overall calories are what matter, don't over complicate things.

Going under/over by say 30 cals won't matter much in the long run.

Macros.

1g per lb of body weight in protein (150lb person = 150g protein).

set fats to 75g

Rest rest of calories from carbs.

What do you weigh in lbs?

Your carbs look super low to me.
My weight is 179.6lbs my crappy scales said i was 174 yesterday(ordered some new ones last night).

When i worked out my TDEE it was 165g protein, 73g fats and 82 carbs. With 1643 calories.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How are you tracking them? Yeah all to do with calories. Protein obviously the most important as the general idea is to keep it high in a cut to hold onto muscle (especially if your natty) with the carbs and fats up to yourself. More calories in a gram of fat than a carb though so keep that in mind. Doesn't matter really going over macros as long as you stay within your calorie goal
I used a TDEE calculator to figure it, as suggested by a member on this forum and will track them on My Fitness Pal.

So as long as I hit my calories I will still lose weight and not hinder it by going over on protein, carbs or fats?

I don't aim on going over by a lot but from what I have seen when I typed in what I will eat it does go over just a bit...Macros wise.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
I used a TDEE calculator to figure it, as suggested by a member on this forum and will track them on My Fitness Pal.

So as long as I hit my calories I will still lose weight and not hinder it by going over on protein, carbs or fats?

I don't aim on going over by a lot but from what I have seen when I typed in what I will eat it does go over just a bit...Macros wise.
Yes. You could eat double cheeseburgers every day and lose weight if it matched your calorie goal

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
Yes. You could eat double cheeseburgers every day and lose weight if it matched your calorie goal
Yes technically this is true, and I've seen a video somewhere of a guy doing the exact same thing.

The problem with this is the fat content will probably far outweigh the protein/carb ratio, so at 1600 calories a day, you'd probably only get 2, which of course would leave you starving later in the day.

It's not a problem to eat what you want, just be aware of the calories and usually carbs involved and the offset against the calories you will have to make.

·
Registered
6,941 Posts

You really need to hit your protein macro, this is to minimise muscle loss whilst in a deficit.

Ask yourself this question:

Do I want to lose weight and look the best I've ever looked?

If the answer is yes, then try your best to stick to your calories and your macros.

Usually people who struggle to make macros are just eating the wrong things.

It's obviously more difficult if you're living at home and Mum or Dad is buying the shopping and your having to eat 'just what there is'.

If your buying your own food there shouldn't be a problem.

Post up what you eat on a daily basis or take a screenshot of what you had in MFP yesterday and we'll see what can be done.

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
My weight is 179.6lbs my crappy scales said i was 174 yesterday(ordered some new ones last night).

When i worked out my TDEE it was 165g protein, 73g fats and 82 carbs. With 1643 calories.
So in theory, whilst protein macro was down slightly (165g as a pose to 179g) the macros were just about right.

Studies have shown that 0.8g protein per lb of body weight is adequate.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You really need to hit your protein macro, this is to minimise muscle loss whilst in a deficit.

Ask yourself this question:

Do I want to lose weight and look the best I've ever looked?

If the answer is yes, then try your best to stick to your calories and your macros.

Usually people who struggle to make macros are just eating the wrong things.

It's obviously more difficult if you're living at home and Mum or Dad is buying the shopping and your having to eat 'just what there is'.

If your buying your own food there shouldn't be a problem.

Post up what you eat on a daily basis or take a screenshot of what you had in MFP yesterday and we'll see what can be done.
I don't really eat breakfast so for lunch I have had either fusilli pasta with tuna in spring water, white rice and chicken breast or oatmeal and scrambled egg. For dinner I have been having either mince beef and onion(seasoned with garlic etc.) with white rice, or steak/fish or chicken. I know I need to add veggies in there as well. I am living at home currently and my mum and sister don't really buy much healthy stuff in so I have to get them to pick things up here and there for me. I also will have maybe two coffee's but with a small amount of milk and 2 sweeteners and then drink water only and for a snack will have a banana or something like that.

It's very low calories One day came to literally 1050 calories.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.