UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Newbie Trainer
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went down to the butchers for the first time ealier to have a look on what sort of deals they could do me with chicken. all of it is free range normal £7.50/kg or if i buy bulk ~£50 worth i would be given a price of £6.18/kg. what do you think of this price, fairly average/good?

what sort of price do you pay per kg usually?

·
Team Weeman(TM)
1,848 Posts
£4 ish a kilo and its good stuff.

Find a local wholesale butchers and send your monthly meat shopping his way in cash, you think he's gona say no? Just buy a big freezer :)

·
Newbie Trainer
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
StephenC said:
£4 ish a kilo and its good stuff.

Find a local wholesale butchers and send your monthly meat shopping his way in cash, you think he's gona say no? Just buy a big freezer :)
hmm looks like i need a bit more looking around then as £6.18/kg was given as the price they supply to pubs and restaurants at. still works out cheaper than supermarkets and better stuff but if people are getting £4/kg damn that would be much better.

where would i find a wholesale butcher?? guess you arent talking about buying bulk from the normal local butcher.

·
Everybody wants to be GOOD, but not many are prepa
1,345 Posts
\T/ said:
went down to the butchers for the first time ealier to have a look on what sort of deals they could do me with chicken. all of it is free range normal £7.50/kg or if i buy bulk ~£50 worth i would be given a price of £6.18/kg. what do you think of this price, fairly average/good?

what sort of price do you pay per kg usually?
I get free range chicken breast from my local butcher for £5.00 per KG

:thumb: :thumb :

·
Enjoys a good poo on works time
2,843 Posts
One butcher charges £25 for a 5kg catering pack, another charges me £6.50/ kg and from their own farm. The water that coems out of the ctering pack chicken when defrosted is ridiculous, so you get what you pay for.

·
Newbie Trainer
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lou said:
I get free range chicken breast from my local butcher for £5.00 per KG

:thumb: :thumb :
:cursing:rrghh not cool! lol i need to find a better butcher :lol: although it is very good quality chicken

·
Newbie Trainer
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BillC said:
One butcher charges £25 for a 5kg catering pack, another charges me £6.50/ kg and from their own farm. The water that coems out of the ctering pack chicken when defrosted is ridiculous, so you get what you pay for.
yeah i suppose you're right, just need to find the cheapest place possible that is still good quality.

·
Newbie Trainer
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wjames said:
in my arear, farmfoods sell 1 kilo for £4.50 but tesco have just reduced there value chicken 1kg for £3.75
may just be my personal experience but even tesco's fairly expensive chicken has really poor quality quite tough lots of gristle all the way through it

·
Team Weeman(TM)
1,848 Posts
\T/ said:
hmm looks like i need a bit more looking around then as £6.18/kg was given as the price they supply to pubs and restaurants at. still works out cheaper than supermarkets and better stuff but if people are getting £4/kg damn that would be much better.

where would i find a wholesale butcher?? guess you arent talking about buying bulk from the normal local butcher.
Try n find one thats located in an industrial unit etc

Most high street bucthers will get thier meat delivered to them in useable cuts. Ive seen me walking into my butchers and one of the guys will be hacksawing a pigs head off:lol:

Maasai said:
I just started a similar thread about this earlier, do you mind if i ask the name a location of your wholesaler mate? Im in lanarkshire daily for work, could stop by if its near.
Its in Blochairn Market mate, C&C meats.

I've been going a while and get a fair but of stuff of off him for various people so get some excellent deals but as long as your willing to take a 10kg box of chicken then it should be around £4.50 and kilo.

His fillet steak is something else... Duno if you read RS007's journal but he eat nothing but this and eggs the day before a show as it's so damn good:thumb:

·
Newbie Trainer
97 Posts
if you're not opposed to buying from an online butchers, and willing to buy in bulk, then i can recommend you have a look at westingourmet.com which is where i get my chicken from, I buy 20kg at a time, for £99, which comes in 5kg packs, very well packaged with icepacks and insulation in the boxes to keep the meat fresh. At just under a fiver a kilo when bought in such bulk, the pricing isn't bad, and their quality is excellent, the fillets average around 220g fresh, and shrink by only a tiny amount when cooked, which shows they're not pumped full of water like you'd get from the cheap supermarket chicken.

They sell cuts of steak and other meat to, but i havn't tried anything other than chicken from there currently.

·
Cutting properly this time 1lb a week until I am h
634 Posts
chris1991 said:
if you're not opposed to buying from an online butchers, and willing to buy in bulk, then i can recommend you have a look at westingourmet.com which is where i get my chicken from, I buy 20kg at a time, for £99, which comes in 5kg packs, very well packaged with icepacks and insulation in the boxes to keep the meat fresh. At just under a fiver a kilo when bought in such bulk, the pricing isn't bad, and their quality is excellent, the fillets average around 220g fresh, and shrink by only a tiny amount when cooked, which shows they're not pumped full of water like you'd get from the cheap supermarket chicken.

They sell cuts of steak and other meat to, but i havn't tried anything other than chicken from there currently.
Will have a look at that cheers.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.