UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,310 Posts
That's where i used to keep mine too, until i watched a documentary showing how easy it is for a thief to run a wire coathanger through the door letterbox to pull the keys out and just open them up.
Yeah, that's the potential downside

Hence why a hook nearby but out of sight/reach is the better alternative

At least if the keys are in the door, then you'd be in the house already.

Better chance of catching them and battering them

·
Premium Member
23,362 Posts
Yeah, that's the potential downside

Hence why a hook nearby but out of sight/reach is the better alternative

At least if the keys are in the door, then you'd be in the house already.

Better chance of catching them and battering them
“Beware!! Anal intruder inside” signage may work.

·
Non Nissan Note Driver
4,380 Posts
I've been taught on my fire training, that the ideal place to leave the house keys is either in the door, or on a hook right next to the door.
Just for immediate access in case of a fire, then you and all the family members know exactly how to escape as quick as possible
I have a twist lock on my main door which is handy and I leave my keys in a box further back from the door.

With regards to alarm: What do you need it to do? Alert neighbours youre in distress or just let you know if someone’s inside if you’re away.

any normal installation alarm will do what you need. I wish I had got ring for the user interface et

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Depends if you mind a bit of tinkering? But I use home assistant, with zigbee motion sensors and door sensors, then you’ve got an alarm and can use it to automate things too like lights, send alerts to phones etc. can add cameras too, anything’s possible with it really.
Mines set up to automatically activate and deactivate the alarm when the house is empty/not empty.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts