UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Getting HUGE!
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening ladies and jerks :D

Looking for some advice regarding the one and only BT. My situation; 2 years ago I started uni, prior to this I had my own flat and used BT for my phone/broadband. So I pay what they are due and close my account, no outstanding debt to them. Done and dusted says I at this point.

Few months later.. about December time 08 I check a statement and BT have actually charged me for a couple extra months, cheeky c*nts. I contact Pakist.. sorry.. British Telecommunications, and they agree that they have made a mistake and that they will send me what I'm owed.

I forgot about the whole thing until about August last year and didn't even notice that no cheque had been sent, so I contacted them again and they confirm they are sending a new cheque out - which I recieve! And it's missing my first initial somehow. So the bank won't touch it. Again, I did't really need the money so I forgot about it. I found the old cheque while cleaning a couple months ago, so thought I'd try again and I have had 4, yes 4 'confirmed' cheques sent to me allegedly, none if which have materialised after 4 different calls to them. On each, I have gone over my details with them, confirmed my address, told them the problem, and nothing is turning up.

They are taking the p*ss and I could really do with the money at the moment :cursing:

Any ideas? I was thinking about getting trading standards involved or something? Cheers folks

·
Unless you're a bodybuilder you only rent food
5,555 Posts
Call BT head office in London (Google is your friend) and ask to speak to the Chairman. You will of course be refused :rolleyes: so demand to speak to his secretary or assistant.

If asked why say that BT owes you money, you have had nothing but bad service, and you want something done.

You'll be put through to someone in head office who will sort it...

·
Gym Addict
98 Posts
If you paid by direct debit you may be able to claim back through your bank by filling out a direct debit indemnity form. Your bank will then deal with it on your behalf.

Oftel is the body who deal with communications complaints they should help you if the above is not an option. Good luck. :thumbup1:

·
Training like a mad man
858 Posts
biggest bunch of ****ers ever mate i used to work for them the only thing you can do is harass them try going through to disconnections that's usually in this country so you can at least get some sense out of them

·
5,555 Posts
angieM said:
If you paid by direct debit you may be able to claim back through your bank by filling out a direct debit indemnity form. Your bank will then deal with it on your behalf.

Oftel is the body who deal with communications complaints they should help you if the above is not an option. Good luck. :thumbup1:
Oftel are useless for private complaints! :rolleyes:

Always go to the top - Chairman's office - and persist!

·
Banned
5,342 Posts
Prodiver said:

Always go to the top - Chairman's office - and persist!
You will never get to the Chairman's office PD :lol: You write a letter, he won't read it, it will be dealt with by the complaints department.

You ask to speak to the Chairman, good luck with that one :rolleyes:

·
Gym Addict
98 Posts
Prodiver said:
Agreed but at least they speak english :lol:

I work for a bank, indemnity form is always for best bet in these situations as a direct debit is a legal agreement. Call your bank first as you may have to make an appointment, there is limited staff that can carry these out.

·
Motivated again
456 Posts
Well I don't think that trading standards will be much help on an overbilling issue from a couple of years ago, if you want to make on this (unfortunately it means spending to get a bit more back, the court costs are based on the amount you are claiming for) you should go to money claims online (small claims court online) make a case for the amount that you are owed, plus interest, take at a reasonable figure (base it on credit card interest because you could argue you would have paid off some of your balance on said credit card), plus money for the time you have spent for correspondence, telephone calls from a mobile, stationery and time etc (there is a limit of something like £50 per day placed on time and I don't know how much correspondence time you could blag) . If you give it a go, BT will simply settle for the amount due to the fact that they will have the hassle of going to court and have a judge ruling in favour for the poor badly treated consumer. Guessing you could blag a reasonable amount. If you don't want the outlay, just detail the claim in writing to BT threatening small claims and they might pay out regardless to save time and effort. If you choose the latter option address the letter to someone pretty far up the BT ladder.

·
5,555 Posts
LittleChris said:
You will never get to the Chairman's office PD :lol: You write a letter, he won't read it, it will be dealt with by the complaints department.

Wrong. I've done just that and got through to the Chairman's office at least 3 times in the last 2 or 3 years. An impeccably polite intimidating rant works wonders.

Tell them their company, complaints department and procedures are simply inferior as is their behaviour if they brush you off and they must do better...

Don't even bother writing a letter.

·
Motivated again
456 Posts
LittleChris said:

Agreed but if you can get a letter to anyone senior or an email it gives them an opportunity to b0110ck one of their juniors and tell them to resolve it. Trust me, not many senior managers or directors want a letter on their desk saying bad things. I have dealings with several big companies and know how they react to complaints.

·
Motivated again
456 Posts
Prodiver said:
Wrong. I've done just that and got through to the Chairman's office at least 3 times in the last 2 or 3 years. An impeccably polite intimidating rant works wonders.

Tell them their company, complaints department and procedures are simply inferior as is their behaviour if they brush you off and they must do better...

Don't even bother writing a letter.
Trust me a polite well worded letter can work wonders. You won't get the same response from calls, the chairman of BT will have several P.A.s and you need to get them on board, a call from a customer will get re-routed, a letter will get read and if it seems genuine they will direct it to someone of note or maybe even let the addressee know about the letter.

·
5,555 Posts
whackedout said:
Trust me a polite well worded letter can work wonders. You won't get the same response from calls, the chairman of BT will have several P.A.s and you need to get them on board, a call from a customer will get re-routed, a letter will get read and if it seems genuine they will direct it to someone of note or maybe even let the addressee know about the letter.
From my own experience - as I said above - a phone call to the top level is quicker and more effective. Course you need to know what to say to manipulate the call and not get blanked...

·
would like to point out that he is great
9,191 Posts
bt are cr*p, when i moved into my house I found out that just before moving out the previous owner had set up a brand new call package at about £40 a month

I phoned up to transfer the line over and got stung with a bill at the end of the first month for £40 (I think it was about £40), i rang up and basically got told that I'd rung up and asked for it despite my pleas that I didn't know any of the numbers on the F&F list, I then had to pay them about £250 to cancel it which is all i needed when I only wanted the phoneline for internet anyway

·
Getting HUGE!
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys

I did a good few hours worth of research last night as I couldn't sleep.. some of the stories regarding BT's customer services were f*cking shocking! I have no idea why they aren't on Watchdog on a weekly basis! And if that show isn't on any more.. they could give BT their own series!

I have managed to track down the name, office address & phone number of several CEO's and I'm in the process of writing one of them a letter. I have read about customers problems being sorted within 24 hours by contacting senior staff, I'll keep record of any correspondence from now on so that if my problem is still ignored.. I'll have more ammunition to use against them if I do end up taking this to small claims.

Reps have been awarded :)

·
Even if it's too heavy....lift it!
2,173 Posts
angieM said:

fantastic advice.

also, i think the Financial Obundsmen Service (spelling??) should be able to help. they are f*cking rapid at service too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.