UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I have trained for 22 years with small breaks at times. Then I had a forced break for 10 years. Did lose some muscle due to a leg issue and lying on my bed for months. Been back 3 years. I have always progressed a full body routine - 3 times/week. Currently it is the same, but the odd time it is 2 times/week - getting older! Always trained in a gym, but currently I have been using a Multi Gym. I'm a natural bodybuilder.

55 years old
5ft 8inches
11 stone (approx currently)
Waist = 31inches

My routine (currently):-

Seated rows 3×15 - 100lbs
Chest press 3×15 -100lbs
Lat pull down 3×15 - 100lbs
Pec deck 3×12 - 65lbs
Upright rows 3×12 - 55lbs
Back press 3×12 - 55lbs
Shoulder rises 3×12 - 20lbs
Bicep curls 3×12 - 45lbs
Tricep pull down 3×12 - 45lbs
Leg extension 3×12 - 90lbs
Leg biceps 3×12 - 70lbs
Calves 3×20 - 75lbs and own weight
Dead lift 3×15 - 155lbs
Kick backs 3×15 - 10lbs (one leg)

Would like to be 11.5 stone and lose small love handles. Good swimmer but must take that up again. I walk a lot and plan to do some more exercises to get rid of the love handles.

Fits of strength in the past, my NEW motorcycle fell of it's stand, I managed to stop it hitting the ground and when I got a better hold off it, I just picked it up, couldn't believe it - 400lbs. I could get hold of a Renault 4 van by the rear arch and lift it until the wheel was off the ground, light van though.

Protein powder I use is USN all in one muscle fuel. Love it, I do the training to have the shake... Sure USN are coming out with a better version, seen a picture of the new tub. It will have 6 sources of protein (currently 5) and top quality, read on the new tub - Whey concentrate and isolate, casein, milk concentrate and soy isolate. Can't remember the 6th.

I will post regularly, but I doubt there will be anything outstanding.. 😉

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Fight off the fat with food.

Pineapple.

A compound in the fruit called bromelain works with other enzymes to help break down and digest fats. It also aids appetite suppression and increases fat excretion.

Yogurt.

For years dairy products such as yogurt were demonized for their fat content. But in an analysis of studies examining yogurt consumption and body composition, more than half the research found a positive link between eating yogurt and lower body fat levels. The combination of calcium, which metabolises fat and gut healthy bacteria is behind the benefit.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No training today but walking!

I have bought something that might benefit my bodybuilding. It's a supplement. Read on:-

Ashwagandha - KSM66 with 5% Withanolides.

It is a medicinal herb that has been used for 3000 years. The best part of the herb is the root. The best extract is KSM66 with 5% Withanolides. There has been 14 years R&D on this extract of the herb to perfect it. Any trials that have been progressed have used this extract too. I have bought this extract after a lot of investigation.

There are numerous benefits for taking this supplement, but for me and bodybuilders the benefits are:-

1. Reduces stress and the stress hormone Cortisol. Cortisol is catabolic and can inhibit protein synthesis making muscle growth harder. Cortical can reduce testosterone.

2. Increases testosterone by up to 17% in trails.

3. Increases strength and muscle size in trails.

4. Reduces body fat in trails.

5. Increases energy, so you perform better in the gym.

6. Better sleep as it calms you.

7. Improves memory.

I have bought 500mg capsules. The extract I have bought and mentioned above is the most potent. 500mg equates to nearly 9g of the normal, as all parts of the herb are used. I am still looking at dosage but 2 capsules a day look good to start with. I haven't started using the supplement yet but will shortly and I will keep you updated. I have spoken to my GP and he said "go ahead."

If you feel you might try it, please do your own investigation, there are some health conditions where the use of ashwagandha would be a bad idea! Please make up your own mind on this!!!

I note there is already a thread on this supplement on this Forum.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Training tonight, same routine as above with some music. Played a disco once, so tainted to those records...💥

Then I'll have my USN shake, look forward to it.... 👌 Just bought another two tubs at great prices - H&B.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Energy drink I use is Tenzing. Natural energy from plants. You don't get the energy crash like you do with drinks full of synthetic caffeine, artificial mood boosters and sugar.

Tenzing is all natural, made purely from plants, including Indian gooseberries, green coffee, green tea, guarana and lemon. It also contains Himalayan rock salt, which is one of the best options to keep your electrolyte levels balanced so you stay hydrated before, during and after exercise. Packed also with vitamin C, a natural fuel for energy production. 55 calories a can.

Taste is OK too.

Can be bought a major supermarkets.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Should have mentioned in my original starter post was what I was like prior to my forced break, when I trained for 22 years with the odd small break. Hoping to get back there too.

Max weight = 11.75 stone
Chest expanded = 45 inches (very near)
Waist = 29 inches
Shoulder to shoulder = 20 inches (is that now)
Never measured my legs, but could not get them in 30" waist jeans.

Always have had broad shoulders (some say from swimming), so much so, people have said to me - have you left the coat hanger in that sweatshirt!

Today also, I have progressed to get rid of small love handles:-

Seated Russian Twists. 3 × 12
Lying Leg raises 3 × 12
Bicycle 3 × 12
Side Planks (Various)

Walking around my area.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Eggs for cracking heart health.

First we were told eggs aren't good for you and now they are! To keep your heart healthy eat more eggs.That's the simple verdict of a huge joint UK - China study of more than half a million people, which found that eating eggs daily can reduce your risk of dying from cardiovascular disease by 18% and decreases the odds of suffering a stroke by 28%. The research was published in the journal Heart.

Previous research that suggested egg consumption should be limited because of dietary cholesterol has been largely discredited, unless you have underlying cholesterol issues or a family history of similar problems.

Now experts agree that the high quality protein, fats and essential nutrients - eggs are one of the few foods to contain vitamin D - make them the ideal go to breakfast.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
No training today, as a pub near me, with great owners/chefs, has started the Sunday roasts again.... Everything is cooked properly and worth working training
around this day!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Growth Hormone - How to increase it naturally.

I have investigated this area for quite a while and this is the food element that will increase it:-

1. Eggs (Best food)
2. Vitamin C
3. Pineapple
4. Gojo berries
5. Greek yogurt - organic plain
6. Nuts
7. Raw chocolate
8. Fish
9. Bananas

This is the exercise element that will increase it:-

1. High intensity training (weights)
2. Best on empty stomach
3. HIIT - high intensity interval training

These are other general ways to increase it:-

1. Lose body fat
2. Fast intermittently
3. Arginine supplement
4. Reduce sugar intake
5. Don't eat a lot before bed
6. Sports drink around exercise
7. Sleep 8 to 10 hours
8. Avoid sugar after workouts

Hope this helps with your training. Give it a try, the information is from experts.

·
I Lift...Honest
7,461 Posts
Should have mentioned in my original starter post was what I was like prior to my forced break, when I trained for 25 years with the odd small break. Hoping to get back there too.

Max weight = 11.75 stone
Chest expanded = 45 inches (very near)
Waist = 29 inches
Shoulder to shoulder = 20 inches (is that now)
Never measured my legs, but could not get them in 30" waist jeans.

Always have had broad shoulders (some say from swimming), so much so, people have said to me - have you left the coat hanger in that sweatshirt!

Today also, I have progressed to get rid of small love handles:-

Seated Russian Twists. 3 × 12
Lying Leg raises 3 × 12
Bicycle 3 × 12
Side Planks (Various)

Walking around my area.
I dread starting to do ab/core work again
Not done any in years and I know its gonna cripple me!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Testosterone - How to increase it naturally.

Investigated this area for quite a while and these are general ways to increase it:-

1. High intensity workouts ( weights)
2. Sleep 8 to 10 hours
3. Lose body fat
4. Vitamin D
5. Zinc
6. Magnesium
7. Balanced diet with protein
8. Stress reduction
9. Pomegranate juice for reducing stress
10. Limit alcohol
11. Quinoa

Left out herbs here. Hope this helps and the information is from experts.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
The protein powder I use is USN Hardcore All in One (Lean) Muscle Fuel Anabolic - Strawberry flavour. It is not a mass gainer.

Per serving gives:-

Calories = 568kcal
Protein = 53g
Fat = 2.6g
Carbohydrate = 77g
Creatine = 5g
HMB = 1g
Added BCAA's
Host of vitamins

The 3 scoops serving is too much unless you add more than the suggested amount of liquid, it is to thick. Most users take 2 scoops with skimmed milk (50g protein in total) or other and the shake is just the right thickness. I have the 3rd scoop later on.

I have tried numerous Protein powders, but lately I have had to forget about Whey as concentrated Whey instigates spots to develop on my skin. In fact any concentrated protein seems to do it now. Especially the one small scoop equals about 30g of protein.

The USN protein I use above is 3 larger scoops, thus a larger serving (not as concentrated) and spots do not develop. Also the multiple source of protein might help. Reason I stick with it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fit at any age!

Your 40's

Weight training in your twenties often felt like a competitive sport, but now you should be past the point of trying to match the numbers on your neighbours bar. That doesn't have to mean taking yourself out of the game, however. In your 40's you won't bulk up as quickly as you used to, so focus instead on maintenance: staving off muscle loss and the accompanying drop in metabolism. Don't be wary of working at high intensity - your body can still handle it. Just ensure that you give yourself a full day's recovery time between workouts. You're in it for the long haul. Avoid injuries by learning proper technique and lessen the weight if need be. Up the reps. Mobility matters, so don't skip the warm ups. Stability and activation work are vital for postural alignment and joint mobility. They boost your lifts too: spend 10mins warning up the muscles you're focusing on at the start of each session.

Your 50's

This is the age at which most people hang up their Metcons, but you're not most people. According to tests conducted on men over 50, a regular fitness programme can stave off "age-related" declines in energy and testosterone. But your greatest imperative? Protecting your brain. A study by sports scientists found that raising your heart rate also improves thinking and memory. So stop chasing PB's: high rep training is the smartest way to keep your brain and body sharp. If you aren't feeling strong on a particular day, work at a reduced intensity. But still train. Train for symmetry using lighter weights with a high rep count. Still work to failure but you are avoiding injuries. One guy is happier with his body now than when he was in his twenties. Choose quality over quantity. Focus on performing exercises with good form and a full range of motion. Don't rush either. If you are having trouble with your joints, modify your exercises, lower the tempo but don't skip training. A study of older adults found that strength training reduced osteoarthritis pain by 35% and increased lower limb strength by 33%. Ensure you are built to last.

Train for 40mins five times a week and you can reverse cellular ageing by nine years!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Train slow to boost your growth.

The weights on the bar aren't everything. Mastering the "time under tension" lifting method will help you smash through plateaus to unlock new muscle. Perfect your form and you'll add inches in weeks.

Why it works.

Upping your time under tension (TUT) will fast track your gains. The heavy science:-

Mind to muscle - During slow eccentrics and partial reps, you can vividly feel the targeted muscles working. The improved connection between your mind and muscles carries over well when it comes to lifting.

Damage limitation - In contrast to heavy sets, the lighter weights used in TUT methods, such as drop sets, cause less joint damage yet still builds muscle. You'll be able to recover more quickly between your sessions.

Faultless form - Because you're concentrating on controlling the weight, you're better able to focus on your technique. Enhancing your lifting form leads to improved muscle contractions, greater growth and fewer injuries.

Partial Rep.

Using only a specific range of motion for a move: stopping before locking your joints, say, or even halfway up the rep. Not only does it extend your time under tension, it also targets the weakest part of the lift. Means earning new PB's when you perform the full move.

Slow Eccentric.

Deliberately slowing the speed at which you perform the "lowering" phase of your lift. It damages muscle fibres - which results in more nutrients reaching your muscles for repair and growth.

Pause Rep.

Holding an isometric contraction, muscle tensed, at the bottom of a move before lifting. During an isometric hold, the body can activate more motor units than usual, it is a test of strength, as you can't use any momentum to produce force, only your muscles.

Drop Set.

Performing your sets to just short of failure, then reducing the weight and continuing with more reps. Compared to standard sets that only combat the first layer of your muscle fibres, drop sets activate the deepest muscles. Remember: even though you may reach a point of failure with one weight, you haven't yet reached absolute failure.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Training tonight completed - Full body routine as described above. No point me typing all that out as no change to weights. Only use a tablet and don't seem to be able to cut and paste. No issues but hoping to increase the weight on all exercises soon.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I've always been a Natty bodybuilder. I don't knock any bodybuilder who does different. I can see the attraction of getting some "help" with building your body. When I started training there were a few that got big quick but I didn't think anything about it really. Being Natty, you have to accept you will probably not get massive, I struggled to get to 12 stone. I went in a local competition twice but I knew I would not win, I wanted to do it just to take part as the event was run by the owner of the gym I attended. Bodybuilders actually said to me after - "you were the only one that looked natural and had the best arms." I was happy I did it, but it was nerve-wracking for me especially the few minutes on the stage on your own doing your routine with 500 sets of eyes looking at you. Some competitors have more front than Blackpool and get a kick out of it, not me. I'm happy though doing it the way I have and are doing it now. No complaints and again I have no issue with what others bodybuilders do and never have.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Core exercises progressed. Found a free Core Manual I got with Men's Health a while ago. It's a 100 pages. 80 exercises and other information. I'll pick some out of this Manual and change the exercises from time to time. Some of the exercises need equipment too, which I don't have, so they are out.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My routine (currently):-

Seated rows 3×15 - 100lbs
Chest press 3×15 -100lbs
Lat pull down 3×15 - 100lbs
Pec deck 3×12 - 65lbs
Upright rows 3×12 - 55lbs
Back press 3×12 - 55lbs
Shoulder rises 3×12 - 20lbs
Bicep curls 3×12 - 45lbs
Tricep pull down 3×12 - 45lbs
Leg extension 3×12 - 90lbs
Leg biceps 3×12 - 70lbs
Calves 3×20 - 75lbs and own weight
Dead lift 3×15 - 155lbs
Kick backs 3×15 - 10lbs (one leg)
Training progressed tonight. Full body routine as above. No change. Back is playing up slightly but it will be OK. Put it down to the dead lift, hard to do as you are pulling on a cable and you need your feet on multigym plates to stop it tilting. It wouldn't go far though as it is up against a wall. Had my USN shake, going to change it to semi skimmed milk from now on.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts