UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey

Over the past few months I've lost my motivation. On the few occasions I've gotton back on track, only to just screw it up again and making excuses. For some reason, when I get bad news or stressed I fall in to old habits of drinking wine in the evenings and escaping through tv (other than wine my diet stays good). I'll do that for about a week and get fed up of feeling lazy and so get back to a good diet and exercise again, but it doesn't take much for me to fall back into the wine and tv again!! I feel like a yo yo! I know that I can be incredibly motivated and focussed, as I have been in the past, but I just seem to have lost it. I know that changing habits can be very difficult (people often have to try and try again) and I'm determined to break this little cycle I've gotten in to recently...

Anyone else experienced this? If so, what do you do to get out of the cycle and actually stick to change?
 

·
Yes thats me in my avi
Joined
·
202 Posts
finding a regular training partner can help enormously with keeping up motivation as its seldom both of you will be low at the same time. Saying that a good training partner is very hard to find. until you find one just look at pics of muscley people and use muscle envy to drive you, it works for me.

good luck

jb
 

·
Solid Gold
Joined
·
6,442 Posts
its the other way round for me, i find it hard to be lazy and really buzz off training... not particuarly how it makes me look but how i feel when i am training...

you really need to set out a plan and a target, go for it and let nothing stand in your way!!!

If you lapse call yourself all the biggest loser names going lol
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JBWILSON said:
finding a regular training partner can help enormously with keeping up motivation as its seldom both of you will be low at the same time. Saying that a good training partner is very hard to find. until you find one just look at pics of muscley people and use muscle envy to drive you, it works for me.

good luck

jb
You're right about the training partner issue...I don't actually know anyone who would be able to join me. Which is very frustrating.

Well, muscley pics won't help me too much as Im not aspiring to be really muscley. In the past I used to focus on the women I wanted to look like and make myself feel so **** about myself that I'd be desperate to improve myself...maybe I'll start focussing on images of women I aspire to look like again, thanks.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kezz said:
its the other way round for me, i find it hard to be lazy and really buzz off training... not particuarly how it makes me look but how i feel when i am training...

you really need to set out a plan and a target, go for it and let nothing stand in your way!!!

If you lapse call yourself all the biggest loser names going lol
I'm like that when I get back into training but somehow, despite knowing how good I feel at the gym, something happens and I stop. Makes no bloody sense!

I'm hoping that simply airing my lack of motivation on here will get me more focussed...
 

·
Real men eat Pork Scratchings for protein!! 49.5g
Joined
·
646 Posts
I'm not going to be any help as my training is like a yo-yo. It will go well for a while and I start making improvements only to get injured or pre-occupied with life.

Sadly for me the gym has become a hobby that I do as I enjoy it but I don't live the lifestyle. I could be so much bigger or defined etc if I lived it but I just can't keep it going. I have resided to the fact that there are more important things in life, other things that make me smile more than vanity.

Maybe I am on the wrong forum. :D :D

A decent training partner is key imho. Even on the nights you cannot be bothered they will make you do it and push you too so that you come out of the gym feeling pleased with yourself.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
God said:
Why not create a plan. Maybe 3 months of gym workouts and diet and set some targets for along the way that could be to do with measurements, body weight or maybe strength. That way your working towards something rather than just trying to improve.
I agree, trying to just improve is too vague. When I was at my peak I used to keep measuerments (don't bother with weight as that doesn't matter to me). I'm not even fussed about my strength...exercise for me is mostly about vanity and feeling fit. So yeah, I will take measurements. I suppose I've put that off as it means facing the fact that I've got to get off my **** and back on track.

Little Ron said:
I'm not going to be any help as my training is like a yo-yo. It will go well for a while and I start making improvements only to get injured or pre-occupied with life.

Sadly for me the gym has become a hobby that I do as I enjoy it but I don't live the lifestyle. I could be so much bigger or defined etc if I lived it but I just can't keep it going. I have resided to the fact that there are more important things in life, other things that make me smile more than vanity.

Maybe I am on the wrong forum. :D :D

A decent training partner is key imho. Even on the nights you cannot be bothered they will make you do it and push you too so that you come out of the gym feeling pleased with yourself.
Yeah, used to have a gym partner which was great but their programme and commitments meant that we couldn't go at the same time. Then again, I do find my training quite personal and quite like going off on my own and being in my head whilst working out...kind of therpeutic. I've already picked up my diet again which is start...but again, I fear the yo-yo affect!! :rolleyes:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
chilisi said:
I like having some time off when i'm feeling that way... maybe your burnt out and your body is asking for a rest...

I would consider a week or 2 off. In that time, write up your goals, diet plan and training program.

Eat drink and be merry, then come back ready for buisness.
As much as I like the idea of convincing myself that I deserve a break..I know that I don't!! I've gotten a bit stuck in a rut I think. I'm not actually happy being away from exercise...I feel crap and lazy! I need to switch off that voice in my head that says 'you deserve a drink' or 'work today and hit the gym tomorrow morning'...I never used to have that little demon in my head but he can't stay because I'm determined not to let that myself go bit by bit, till I'm older and thinking 'what the hell...what happened..you're a blob!'
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,342 Posts
Jeremy Kyle said:
Katy with Graham and the teams support wed like to help you motivate yourself, the first step is to figure out what causes lack of motivation then wed like to work on that as a group, graham changes lives he really is a miracle worker
:thumb:
 

·
.
Joined
·
5,257 Posts
Try to remember the reasons why you started training in the first place. Write a list and read it over and over. A couple of examples are: I want to look great in my bikini on the beach. I want to fit into that size 8 dress and look amazing. I want to prove to all the people who think I will fail that I can do this. I want to prove to myself I can do this. Etc.. Etc..

Depending on what your training goals are, you are only looking at a few hours of your time a week to get you where you want to be.

So, get off your butt and get going girl. Go Go Go.

Save the wine for your planned cheat meal. It tastes better when you dont drink all the time anyway.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ANGLIK said:
Try to remember the reasons why you started training in the first place. Write a list and read it over and over. A couple of examples are: I want to look great in my bikini on the beach. I want to fit into that size 8 dress and look amazing. I want to prove to all the people who think I will fail that I can do this. I want to prove to myself I can do this. Etc.. Etc..

Depending on what your training goals are, you are only looking at a few hours of your time a week to get you where you want to be.

So, get off your butt and get going girl. Go Go Go.

Save the wine for your planned cheat meal. It tastes better when you dont drink all the time anyway.
That hits home actually....makes me feel like a right pathetic lazy **** when I can't even be bothered to manage a few hours a week!! I'll keep telling myself that, thanks :)

oliver Roberts said:
for me personaly. when i lose all motivation to carry on going, i look at my old pics when i was a right fatty. keeps me going
Yeah, I've been looking at old pics when I looked just how I wanted to...but my goals are kind of different now and the pics just make me depressed!! What's silly is that it really wouldn't take that much work to see big changes!! Well, I'm determined to get active again tomorrow morning, before the day starts...start as I mean to go on...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Captain Hero said:
I find it easier to stick to things if you have an overall Aim, a plan and a way to show yourself you are making progress.
Thanks, I've decided to use measurements to monitor my progress and keep my motivated...haven't done it for years, but when I did it made a difference...my plan will be to stick to workouts on the same days at the same times each week so that nothing interferes :)
 

·
Football Fantasy - Real Faketeam
Joined
·
695 Posts
I feel exactly the same right now.

I was ill at the start of this month for a week and a half and since then I haven't been able to re-start.

I've been once and I just feel like I can't be ar5ed! I dunno what is wrong with me.

I've just been eating what I want, when I want, the same with drink.

I'm getting on my own nerves. For the last 2 Mondays I've been re-starting with passion... but it hasn't happened.

Maybe this Monday though eyy :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
UnitedFan said:
I feel exactly the same right now.

I was ill at the start of this month for a week and a half and since then I haven't been able to re-start.

I've been once and I just feel like I can't be ar5ed! I dunno what is wrong with me.

I've just been eating what I want, when I want, the same with drink.

I'm getting on my own nerves. For the last 2 Mondays I've been re-starting with passion... but it hasn't happened.

Maybe this Monday though eyy :)
Ha ha, sounds just like me. Glad I'm not alone! I'm getting on my own nerves too!
 
G

·
I like having some time off when i'm feeling that way... maybe your burnt out and your body is asking for a rest...
Thats the very best way sometimes- trying and trying when your really not motivated is like ****ing into the wind sometimes- not gaining / just maintaining- have a total month off and if training was a part of your normal routine you will start to miss it - take a full month off even if you are dying to get back then you will see a big difference and will be motivated more than before.

Its good to rest joints, tendons ligaments that can get worn so deserve a rest
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top