UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Gym Addict
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bit random, just voicing my thoughts

Apparently thai bodybuilders are mainly homosexuals; would you be interested in bodybuilding if you were brought up in thailand? or outside of the western culture influence?

how much of your interest in bodybuilding is influenced by society/culture?

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
I don't think my interest in bodybuilding is influenced at all by society or culture.

When I was 5ish years old. I can remember looking at my brothers The Hulk comic and thinking, "I want muscles like him".

I don't do it to make myself popular with people, I do it because I want to do it.

·
Gym Addict
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
roadwarrior said:
I don't think my interest in bodybuilding is influenced at all by society or culture.

When I was 5ish years old. I can remember looking at my brothers The Hulk comic and thinking, "I want muscles like him".

I don't do it to make myself popular with people, I do it because I want to do it.
Do you not think you have been influenced on a subconscious level?

Everyone as a child wants to be a super hero.. what do super heroes have usually look like... I watched a documentary a while ago showing how the action man figure has changed over the years from a average persons physique to a little plastic sted head

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
When I was 5ish I never knew anyone with muscles. The only people with muscles were in the comic books. I never wanted to fly or even be super strong I just wanted muscles like The Hulk.

I've been in this sport for a very long time and I've found people who do it to impress others or pull women just don't stick at it and they just disappear.

I don't do it to impress anyone, I rarely go anywhere to show off my muscles and I often train at the gym when it's empty and I'm the only person there (no one to impress) which is why I've been doing it for almost 32 years.

·
Cowboy: You got a one track mind you know that! Aj
616 Posts
Sum people i know try and call me gay etc because i do bb'ing but only because they are small inferior weaklings who eat **** all day :thumb: i do it for me and me only. I'v not been influenced in anyway except when i seen lou ferrigno and sed omg i wana look like that :lol:

·
Extreme Labs Ambassador
11,577 Posts
roadwarrior said:
When I was 5ish I never knew anyone with muscles. The only people with muscles were in the comic books. I never wanted to fly or even be super strong I just wanted muscles like The Hulk.

I've been in this sport for a very long time and I've found people who do it to impress others or pull women just don't stick at it and they just disappear.

I don't do it to impress anyone, I rarely go anywhere to show off my muscles and I often train at the gym when it's empty and I'm the only person there (no one to impress) which is why I've been doing it for almost 32 years.
I like training at 7.00am as there is no one there and i dont have to go through a meal plan with someone i dont know that well, for them then to say "oh i cant be a.rsed to cook all that, i'll just go subway and get a salad or something". Idiot!

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Peter V said:
I don't know about culture, I think bodybuilding usually starts from people's confidence issues, insecurities and small men complexes lol.
I partly agree with you there.

But in my case I didn't know how big I was going to be when I was 5. I was doing chins and press ups at 7. At 9/10 my eldest brother gave me his Charles Atlas Dynamic Tension training course. That's when the bodybuilding bug really took a hold. I was then lifting weights when I was 11 (there was a weight set at school). I'm soon to be 42 and I'm still going strong.

·
Banned
9,878 Posts
Peter V said:
I don't know about culture, I think bodybuilding usually starts from people's confidence issues, insecurities and small men complexes lol.
Nope not always, my dad used to own a gym and i was groomed from a little boy to be an athlete and in my head i always pictured myself like my dad when i grew up and now i am, same height but bigger muscles :D

Not saying im a proper athlete but i always knew from a boy that i would never accept being your average guy

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
^King Leonidas^ said:
Sum people i know try and call me gay etc because i do bb'ing but only because they are small inferior weaklings who eat **** all day :thumb: i do it for me and me only. I'v not been influenced in anyway except when i seen lou ferrigno and sed omg i wana look like that :lol:
I find most people are very positive about my muscles. I did find lots of jealousy when I used to go to night clubs when I was younger. The answer to that one now is I don't go out. I own a house with a big garden and I stay happy in it.

·
Looking Freaky
600 Posts
I think everybody who is into bodybuilding properly (trains hard 4-5 days a week, watches their diet, spends a lot of money on supps and gear etc.....) is into because they enjoy it and not because they feel pressured by pop culture to conform. If anything current pop culture makes guys like JLS and Robert Pattison (the guy from Twighlight (sp?) ) their gods, they are seen to be the ultimate in how a modern young man should be. None of them are particularly muscle bound - before anyone posts pics I know the guys from JLS do workout but none of them look above 11.5 stone.

People who are into bodybuilding IMO are seperating themselves from the current pop culture, so certainly aren't doing it to conform to society.

·
Extreme Labs Ambassador
11,577 Posts
I get told im weird and not many people like how i look (only weigh 15.5 stone, but am 5 foot 9).

Apparently i have "taken it too far" (cool!)

If i wanted to fit in with society, i would stop. I want to carry on till i cant gain anymore!!

·
Cowboy: You got a one track mind you know that! Aj
616 Posts
PowerHouseMcGru said:
I get told im weird and not many people like how i look (only weigh 15.5 stone, but am 5 foot 9).

Apparently i have "taken it too far" (cool!) :thumb:

If i wanted to fit in with society, i would stop. I want to carry on till i cant gain anymore!!
Society bites ass anyway :thumbup1: we are the outlaws :tongue:

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Yeah! Bodybuilding is a whole lifestyle. It's not playing 5 a side footy once a week and then going and getting ****ed afterwards.

I train at a sports complex where they play 5 a side footy. Two teams were in the court. One of the teams waiting to go on after them were all eating McDonalds Cheesburgers.

Great sport and great lifestyle.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
PowerHouseMcGru said:

Apparently i have "taken it too far" (cool!)

I'm pretty ripped all year around and I think people seem to be more impressed by this. I get asked to show people my abs all the time. In fact many people think I do martial arts as I have body resembling Bruce Lee or so they say.

·
Gym Addict
427 Posts
While I agree that people get into bodybuilding for themselves, healthly life-style ect

why do you think it is mainly confined to western society?

going back to my earlier example of thai culture and the association between bodybuilding & homosexuality.. do you think you be interested in bodybuilding if people percieved you as gay? If you say 'yes i still would' I challenge you to walk through your town centre wearing a tight pink tank top and some pink hot pants.. see if your really impervious to people's perception... also upload it to youtube so i can have a laugh lol

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
I have lots of gay friends so if I was worried about being classed as gay I wouldn't have any gay friends.

I can't see why having muscles should be linked to being gay. Do people think Arnold or Lou are gay?

My gay friends don't wear pink clothes. Why would they want to? Never mind walk down the town centre wearing such clothing.

·
Cutting properly this time 1lb a week until I am h
634 Posts
I've always had a heavy build. Everyone used to tell me as a teenager that I'd be massive if I worked out. It hasn't quite worked out like that though. I guess I still look big next to mere mortals and I feel good in clothes. It's just with my top off my body fat can annoy me. I think it'll take years to get the low fat high muscle combo I desire but I'm prepared to do it. Hopefully there will be less alcohol temptation as my friends settle down with children etc as it's my biggest weakness. I do it to feel strong and good about myself.

·
Gym Addict
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
roadwarrior said:
I have lots of gay friends so if I was worried about being classed as gay I wouldn't have any gay friends.

I can't see why having muscles should be linked to being gay. Do people think Arnold or Lou are gay?

My gay friends don't wear pink clothes. Why would they want to? Never mind walk down the town centre wearing such clothing
in western culture muscles aren't linked to being gay, quite the opposite. Thats my point.

I'm talking about perceptions. Would you agree that a man wearing a pink tank top and hot pants would generally be percieved as gay? I know they don't lol just an example

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.