UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Newbie Trainer
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I really need anybody's advice on this one please so don't hesitate... comment and let me know what you think :thumb:

About 3years ago now, I registered with LAfitness for a 12months contract. After about 4months, I left and cancelled my DD. I received a few lettres from them saying they would send debt collectors and after a few months I never from them again.

Im now thinking of rejoining LAfitness (a different branch closer to my home as LAfitnes is the only gym near me) but am a little worried.What if they still have name somewhere (blacklist or something) and reject my application and decide to take me to court or something.

Anybody knows anything about what could/couldn't happen to me?

·
Kadampa.org
2,914 Posts
a very dirty tactic that they used to use, not quite sure if are allow to use that tactic any more, I think that now a days you just need to write to them in 30 day notice to cancel membership.

I doubt it very much that they would keep those records from 4 years back, go there and ask them, you have nothing to loose now or if you can't face them phone them or e-mail them with your query (just don't tell them about old stories, go fresh as new customer)

just a bit of input, but wait for more replies

·
Banned
162 Posts
tell them why you had to cancel previously, if they want your custom, im sure they will understand what your circumstances from before...

failing that, do as the above says and use a different name or address...

·
Nabba Wales
128 Posts
Dont worry about it just go along and sign as a new member, dont mention the past. I dont know any clubs that do any credit checks when a member signs so they wont have records. If they still had you on record for anything they would have contacted you by now even if just to offer you a new membership.Besides like all us club owners they need your custom short term or long.

·
1,195 Posts
direct debit with a different name wouldnt go thru unless you used someone elses account,

be honest and aks for an account which u can canx with 30 days notice

LA fitness are money grabbers as most gyms and will fight to sign you up

·
UKBFF NORTH EAST SCOTTISH CHAMPIONSHIPS 2011, JUNI
1,352 Posts
they'll be doing you a favour by not letting you re-join

- L.A FAGness !

- L.A wee.skinny.posers.ness

- L.A why.is.our.gym.called.LA.when.its.not.even.in.losangeles.ness

lol :D

·
Getting HUGE!
1,393 Posts
Doing it under a new name will never work as the direct debit will be in the wrong name!

Also, would not surprise me at all if they still have your details on file - it will all be computerised so they are not exactly going to throw it in the bin!

What may not match up is your address....if you have moved, that might work as bet they track people by name / address, not bank account details.

I don't think it would do any harm just to apply and see what they say. Very unlikely they will come after you for a 4 year old debt. Maybe worth having another option on standby though.

·
Newbie Trainer
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dazzaemm2k7 said:
they'll be doing you a favour by not letting you re-join

- L.A FAGness !

- L.A wee.skinny.posers.ness

- L.A why.is.our.gym.called.LA.when.its.not.even.in.losangeles.ness

lol :D
loool you guys thanks for your advice...I was also thin king of registering with my boyfriend he wanted to register me as a gift so maybe if we do it this way there would be no risk as he would be the account holder right??

·
Premium Member
12,597 Posts
Ask if you can buy 6 months membership for cash.

I would seriously doubt they'll have you on record. If they were to let you rejoin without raising the previous debt then really thas doiung you a favour as its implied that they are willing to forget the previous debt in favour of the new business.

In reality unless there is hundreds of pounds to pay a gym is unlikely to take you to court, most bailiff companies will return the debt to the finance companies after non payment and ask them if tehy want to take it further and go to court which costs hundreds so most just write it off.

·
Newbie Trainer
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Kezz said:
cant you just go to a different gym instead.. if i had been threatened with debt collectors they would never get another penny from me EVER!!!!
LAfitness is the only gym close to my home but i guess i'll have to consider that option too :sad::sad::sad:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.