UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was buzzing about me and my girlfriend and kid finnaly renting our own place. But went pub and mate said it aint your though is it and made me feel bit of a failure. We both work me and my girlfriend but cant get a mortgage and support our little one so had to rent for 600 a month and just think i should at least be able to get our own house so need a goo dpick me up lol

·
Growing old disgracefully
3,788 Posts
For a minute I thought you meant he was saying the kid wasn't yours but I know what you mean now. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. Property prices are still incredibly high despite the recent falls so you're not the only person struggling to get their foot on the ladder. Personally, I don't see how such high values can be sustained and wouldn't be surpised if we see a major correction over time. Your mate will not be so smug then if he's got 30K worth of negative equity hanging round his neck.

·
Banned
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ian_Montrose said:
For a minute I thought you meant he was saying the kid wasn't yours but I know what you mean now. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. Property prices are still incredibly high despite the recent falls so you're not the only person struggling to get their foot on the ladder. Personally, I don't see how such high values can be sustained and wouldn't be surpised if we see a major correction over time. Your mate will not be so smug then if he's got 30K worth of negative equity hanging round his neck.
agree mate, all i do is work gym and play with my kid i dont drink any more so i can afford to take the misses out or but my son a new toy and cloths so long as there happy im ok just wound me up cause way he said it. Im bustin my balls doing 20 hours over time every month to get money for a ring to engage. Wish there was help out there for us people that want to work get on the ladder cause then i have something to leave my son behind. In mean time i want to enjoy the move to rented house and give my lad a good birthday GOOD TIMES

·
Newbie Trainer
16 Posts
Culturally, I think us Brits are conditioned to want to buy properties but in Europe, especially places like Sweden and Norway, it's more usual to rent. In Italy, it's so hard to get a property that most Italians don't leave home until they're well into their 30s. My sister married an Italian man and he was 40 before he left home.

I don't think you're a failure. It sounds like you have a nice little family unit and you're moving forwards in life!

·
Sporting 21 inch pythons brother
1,509 Posts
Agree with Ian, there are positives and negatives to renting but the same is true of ownership too; negative equity, costly repairs etc. Also, it can be soul destroying to decide to move and then wait whilst a multitude of couples, families, time wasters etc are shown round your house to no avail and in the meantime you dream home is snapped up by someone else.

Also, if you buy a property with someone and later separate it really can be a nightmare mate, trust me. Much easier to give the landlord a months notice and fcuk off!!

·
Getting HUGE!
1,393 Posts
Chin up mate, sounds like you have done good. You are looking after your mrs and kid and have just rented a flat :thumb:

Your "friend" is probably jealous and trying to undermine you. People don't like to see other people happy or doing well for some reason!

I always think worry about your own s*it and not what others are doing.

·
Growing old disgracefully
3,788 Posts
The best things you can give to your son will come from playing with him and everything else that goes into your relationship. You've got to remember when you eventually shuffle off your mortal coil he'll not be a kid any longer, he'll be a mature man capable of making his own way in the world. The values, ethics and knowledge you bestow him with in his formative years will be far more valuable to him than leaving him a poxy house in your will. Enjoy your new home and as far as the ring goes, if your girl is worth having she'll love you for what you can afford to put on her finger now even if it isn't the Koh-i-noor.

·
Extreme Labs Ambassador
11,577 Posts
He's right in a way mate. Was renting for 4 years, then the other month i thought "this is stupid" paid off 20'000 in total of someone elses mortgage.

So we have moved back with her mum and dad (which is going awesome after 3 months) and are saving for a mortgage and our wedding and honey moon to hopefully the maldives!

·
Premium Member
17,863 Posts
I couldnt care less about renting and affording a house. Ill happily rent for the rest of my life, what use is a house to you when your old and in a home dying anyway.....

I know many say that you should buy so can sell it when your old, rent then and live off the money you got for the house. But life is for living when your young and i would sooner spend my money on me rather than a massive mortgage.

·
i love cabbage...
1,385 Posts
PowerHouseMcGru said:
He's right in a way mate. Was renting for 4 years, then the other month i thought "this is stupid" paid off 20'000 in total of someone elses mortgage.

So we have moved back with her mum and dad (which is going awesome after 3 months) and are saving for a mortgage and our wedding and honey moon to hopefully the maldives!
slow down on your juicing then....you selfish juicer... :tongue:

·
Extreme Labs Ambassador
11,577 Posts
coflex said:
slow down on your juicing then....you selfish juicer... :tongue:
lol. I already told her, the only way we are doing it is if it don't effect my food bill and my gear bill (gear is only 80 a month as i dont use huge amounts and food is way way more, even though i buy value).

·
HULK SMASH!!!
8,495 Posts
kieren1234 said:
I couldnt care less about renting and affording a house. Ill happily rent for the rest of my life, what use is a house to you when your old and in a home dying anyway.....

I know many say that you should buy so can sell it when your old, rent then and live off the money you got for the house. But life is for living when your young and i would sooner spend my money on me rather than a massive mortgage.
Well my house I like to spend money on it, to enjoy it

So I have installed a jacuzzi outside, a sauna, a big climbing frame\slide for my daughter and a big fck off cinema system in lounge

A slate bed pool table in my kitchen\diner

If I was renting, would I fck spend all that money on some other fckers house

Each to our own tho, I like to live in comfort :)

·
Getting HUGE!
1,621 Posts
kieren1234 said:

I hear what you are saying...but essentially you are just paying off someone elses mortgage rather than your own??

·
Premium Member
17,863 Posts
jw007 said:

So I have installed a jacuzzi outside, a sauna, a big climbing frame\slide for my daughter and a big fck off cinema system in lounge

Wow, fancy a room mate??

I know exactly what you mean, although i do take pride in my home (rented), i would rather spend money on my partner, myself than the house.

·
Premium Member
17,863 Posts
Kate1976 said:
I hear what you are saying...but essentially you are just paying off someone elses mortgage rather than your own??
So be it then, i just simply cannot afford a mortgage of my own. We pay £320 a month rent, for a 1 bedroom apartment which is adequate for us at the minute, to get a house would cost us more than £600 a month.

Maybe when we are in better jobs, i may look at buying but doubt it, just rent a house so i can have a dog to take on my cardio mornings lol.

Looking good in the avi too Kate!!

·
Extreme Labs Ambassador
11,577 Posts
jw007 said:

Yeah same mate. Thats why i want my own, so i can do up the garden for when i have kids and that.

Decorated the rooms in the rented house but always held back on things i really wanted to do as i knew i could be out at any point within a months notice!

·
Getting HUGE!
1,621 Posts
kieren1234 said:
So be it then, i just simply cannot afford a mortgage of my own. We pay £320 a month rent, for a 1 bedroom apartment which is adequate for us at the minute, to get a house would cost us more than £600 a month.

Maybe when we are in better jobs, i may look at buying but doubt it, just rent a house so i can have a dog to take on my cardio mornings lol.

Looking good in the avi too Kate!!
Ah I hear you :) Due to personal circumstances, I part own 2 houses but also rent and it drives me bonkers to be paying off someone elses mortgage!

Cheers mr !

2,488 Posts
jw007 said:

like wise

when i get my deposit saved up ill have my own house which ill extend my self

just put a 2 story extension on my parents house (with some help on things i cant do, plumbing ect)

just spent a fortune on my room, 50" plasma, new king size bed ect

comfort for me to :thumb:

·
What doesn`t kill me, Only me makes me stronger !!
139 Posts
Think yourself lucky you haven`t been to the dentist today for an extraction of your eye tooth and bone having to come with it.

I`m in pain, can`t work out and really pi55ed off.

So you`re not the only one down today, hope that makes you feel better lol

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.