UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Newbie Trainer
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all!

i've been training on and off for the couple of years, but have decided to do it properly and seriously now.

one part of my body which i think is really lacking is my back.

this is mainly down to lack of exercise on the back, which i have now decided to change, as without a fairly decent sized back then i wont make any decent gains as personally i think the back muscles play a big part on the other aspects of getting more mass.

so how do i go about this?

i have been doing pull downs on the machine, assisted pull ups (about 20kg) and rows. i have seen people doing bent over rows but i am not sure if my lower back can handle it....

what would you advise for me in order to get larger lats and a stronger back?

any help would be great! thanks in advance :)

·
dude i'm hungry
514 Posts
trickymicky69 said:
i dont think people need to do any more than

deadlift

chins

some sort of row
i agree, i think dealift, bent over row and pull ups are essential and are the main exercises of every back exercise i do. but im just saying that

a heavy lat down with strict form as part of a superset or by itself is also

good..just by no means a replacement for the above mentioned

·
Looking Freaky
598 Posts
Give Chins a go mate, using bodyweight.

I have done 3 back days with them up to now.

Think I managed over the 3 sessions

4, 4, 4, 4, 4

6, 4, 4, 4, 4

7, 5, 4, 5, 5

or somethink like that, thats in about 2 weeks I have added 6 reps onto my workout, I'm aimint to get to 4 sets of 10 then start adding weight.

Used to always use lat assist but since changing to this, I have once again getting DOMS so they are difinately working.

James

·
bashing the bishop
1,818 Posts
Rob070886 said:
i agree, i think dealift, bent over row and pull ups are essential and are the main exercises of every back exercise i do. but im just saying that

a heavy lat down with strict form as part of a superset or by itself is also

good..just by no means a replacement for the above mentioned
i agree.

my point is made by the amount of people in the gyms that can actually do chins vs the amount of people that can do lat pulls.

pulling your body against gravity with weight added is the ultimate show of strength,

along with deadlift and squat.

·
dude i'm hungry
514 Posts
trickymicky69 said:
i agree.

my point is made by the amount of people in the gyms that can actually do chins vs the amount of people that can do lat pulls.

pulling your body against gravity with weight added is the ultimate show of strength,

along with deadlift and squat.
too right man, yeah that shows you've got a bit of strength when you can do. i do also enjoy doin' lat downs though..never before pull up's though.

·
dude i'm hungry
514 Posts
j.m. said:
Give Chins a go mate, using bodyweight.

I have done 3 back days with them up to now.

Think I managed over the 3 sessions

4, 4, 4, 4, 4

6, 4, 4, 4, 4

7, 5, 4, 5, 5

or somethink like that, thats in about 2 weeks I have added 6 reps onto my workout, I'm aimint to get to 4 sets of 10 then start adding weight.

Used to always use lat assist but since changing to this, I have once again getting DOMS so they are difinately working.

James
Dude if you can then do sets of about 6,8 with with weight, in my oppinion you will get mor eout of that than doing a set of ten without any

weight

·
Poor Spectacle Choice
7,307 Posts
People dont chin because its hard.Same as the excuses for not squating,its hard.The harder the exercise the more productive it is.Start with bodyweight chins, adding weight.Same for dips.if your not strong enough to do 6 good slow reps,do negative reps till you are.dips as well, then squats and deadlifts.these four movements will take you all the way.how much bigger do you think yuor gonna be when you can chi/dip with 100lb around your waist?

·
Looking Freaky
598 Posts
Rob070886 said:
Dude if you can then do sets of about 6,8 with with weight, in my oppinion you will get mor eout of that than doing a set of ten without any

weight
Suppose your right mate, was just thinking of getting to 10 then adding weight & etting to 10 again, then keep building up, or would I be better getting to sets of 7's or something & then add weight & keep building it up to lower weights?

·
Newbie Trainer
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well i weigh 66kg..

i have taken on board what u all suggest, and i think i will be doing pull ups as well as assisted ones and some rows. will have a stab at deadlifts and ask one of the PTs to show me the proper way.

many thanks guys!!

·
Looking Freaky
598 Posts
Do the chins before the assisisted ones if you do decide to do them both, although i would stick to the bodyweight ones.

You will knacker yourself out before the better exercise if you dont.

I usually do some light warm up sets of rows & lat assist before doing heavy sets of deadlifts, chins & rows.

·
Start a stupid thread....and i will rip you a new
7,687 Posts
it will take time to sus out which exercises suit you best,its horses for courses so to speak.my advice for back training is chins,deads,bent over rows.....make sure that you squeeze for maximum effect.

best of luck with your training..we are all here to help.

·
Hulking Out!
1,950 Posts
as above start your deadlifts you wont regret it. i'm going to have to disagree with you on a personal basis with chins trickymicky.i can handle 3 sets of 8 wide grip no problems and 3 sets of 12 pullups.no swinging..but it absolutely positively gives me shoulder problems (wide grip more so) if i do it on a regular basis, so generally i stick with heavy pulldowns. but for more people, you're probably right. lat pulldowns are easier in terms of if you can do 150kg lat pulldown and u weigh 100kg, i'm pretty sure you couldnt do chins with 50kg strapped to you. also see WAY too many people turning that lat pull downs into a ...lat..row..swinging..abomination. use a lighter weight and control it properly.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts