UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Newbie Trainer
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys - am struggling with biceps. Although an old git at 48 I train 5 times a week as follows

monday - legs 45 mins and 45 min ABS class

Tuesday - 10 min run and 1 hr biceps and chest

Wednesday - 10 mins cross trainer and 1 hr triceps and back

Thursday - 45 min spin class

Friday - mix up of whatever I fancy and 45 min spin class

Doing well but my biceps justvery very slow in growing . All other parts of body doing OK.

Have tried variety of exercises inc cable pull downs ez bar curls, isolated bicep curls , preacher curls etc . Also tried high weigh low reps and low weight high reps. SHoudl I do Biceps and chest more than once a week?. :confused1:

Getting me really frustrated. Any advice or help would be much appreciated. By the way I have dropped to 14 st 2 lbs from 16 st 8 lbs and taken almost 4 " of waist and put on chest.

·
Banned
711 Posts
first off well done mate, good going losing that weight etc,

Biceps and triceps are without doubt the two most overtrained bodyparts, which will hinder their growth as they never fully recover before you pound them again.

first off, think of how the muscle works, biceps contract your arm, so whenever you do your back, the pulling motion works your bi's also, same goes for triceps, because they extend the arm, they get trained when you do chest and shoulders,

so on tuesday, you train biceps and chest but also your triceps when doing chest, then the next day before your tris have recovered you train them again, and also then train your biceps when doing your back, so mabey you are overtraining??

dont do as many sets that focus just on either your bi or tri's, and train tris with chest, and bis with back, and see how you get on.

..remember you dont grow when you train, you grow when you recover, so make sure you leave plenty of time to recover and train the bodypart once a week.

·
The League of Shadows
1,311 Posts
I'd simply switch your Wednesday routine and your Thursday routine to give yourself a rest/cardio day between the weights sessions. That way, you'll recover much better and should see some growth.

·
it rubs the lotion on its skin---or it gets the ho
1,508 Posts
concentrate on making gains on bench,dips ,chins,rows and arms will grow as a result

stop doing them-do big exercises only and they will grow,seems daft but true-put 40lb on your bench press over a few months and triceps will be bigger,chinand row heavier and biceps will grow--bonus is ,so will chest,lats,shoulders

·
Gym Addict
215 Posts
Paul_TT said:
Guys - am struggling with biceps. Although an old git at 48 I train 5 times a week as follows

Doing well but my biceps justvery very slow in growing . All other parts of body doing OK.

Have tried variety of exercises inc cable pull downs ez bar curls, isolated bicep curls , preacher curls etc . Also tried high weigh low reps and low weight high reps. SHoudl I do Biceps and chest more than once a week?. :confused1:

Getting me really frustrated. Any advice or help would be much appreciated. By the way I have dropped to 14 st 2 lbs from 16 st 8 lbs and taken almost 4 " of waist and put on chest.
Paul

What do you do for Biceps?

·
Premium Member
7,382 Posts
biceps grow regardless of direct work as long as your hitting the compounds hard and heavy.

i only started training my arms around a month ago and that was when they were at 18" so not training them hardly spurned their growth. :)

focus on the big muscle groups and the smaller ones will follow like sheep lol

·
Gym Addict
215 Posts
Agree

Incredible Bulk said:
biceps grow regardless of direct work as long as your hitting the compounds hard and heavy.

i only started training my arms around a month ago and that was when they were at 18" so not training them hardly spurned their growth. :)

focus on the big muscle groups and the smaller ones will follow like sheep lol
Agree on this IB - you seldom going to see someone who can DeadLift a good weight and squat a respectable number - with small biceps.

If you are working the other core lifts hard and well - Biceps can easily be given 2-4 good hard sets per week to progress and supplement.

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
BSD said:
Agree

Agree on this IB - you seldom going to see someone who can DeadLift a good weight and squat a respectable number - with small biceps.

If you are working the other core lifts hard and well - Biceps can easily be given 2-4 good hard sets per week to progress and supplement.
Me :crying:

·
Grey but still growing
51 Posts
Are you still losing weight? Is it just your biceps that you want to grow, or your overall upper arm?

They (whoever they are) say that to put 1" on your arms you have to gain 10lbs in weight.

Stick to your compound movements, increase your strength in these and eventually you'll start to see progress.

Also, give things chance to work, don't keep changing things every couple of weeks. You need to give something time to see if it'll work.

Mike Mentzer once said " I see significant gains in strength for several months before I see any increase in size."

·
Everybody wants to be GOOD, but not many are prepa
1,345 Posts
Paul_TT said:

Well done for losing 2.5 stone you must feel very good.

I appreciate that you are asking about biceps but there are a couple of things I have noticed.

You are doing quite a lot of cardio work and reading between the lines are on restrictive diet to lose weight. Whilst you are on a restrictive diet muscle growth will be minimal. Your biceps may well be your 'slow growth' area almost everyone has a musclegroup that is a bit stubborn.

So there are a couple of questions that need to be addressed

1) What is your diet like? Is you protein and carb intake sufficient to facilitate growth?

2) Are you getting a solid 8 hours sleep a night?

Nutrition; GOOD nutrition and REST are key elements to growth.

If you want to grow significantly pay attention to the first two elements above; then focus more attention on weights workouts good solid compound movements performed with good form and INTENSITY. Cut back your cardio workouts to 20 minutes AFTER a weights session. There is a misconception that cardio workouts are the only answer to fat loss. However your body will burn fat for 48 hours after a weights workout; with cardio for only 24 hours after a workout. Don't be in the gym longer that 1.5 hours WITH the cardio session.

Also when do you train shoulders? Split your routine over 4 days in the week and do not train more than three consecutive days. Rest the other three days you are not training.

Lou

·
alabbadi
79 Posts
I agree totally with JJJ's answer

When you train Chest your Triceps get trained too and when you train your Back you are using your Biceps

so the best way is to combine these with you back and chest routines

Chest/Triceps and Back/Biceps

remember your triceps and Biceps are small muscle groups and don't need much training as they are trained when you do the other excercises.

so stick to low sets and reps too much will have a negative effect and they will not grow.

also plenty of rest

·
Newbie Trainer
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lou - I have OK diet as I don't eat meat so little restricted. Porridge on waking , fruit mid morning , pasta with tuna lunch evening is omlette with veg. That is a standard sort of day.

Rest - b*gger all . I sleep 7 hrs but unfortunately was quite ill a couple of years ago and am a manic depressive . As such rest time is very small as I always need to fill every waking moment. Have decorated house inside and out in one year as well as redesigning the back garden !!!!. Amtrying to work out how to relax and possibly gym is another extension fopushing myself all the time. Will take on board everyones suggestions thank you and see how it goes.

paul

1 - 16 of 16 Posts