UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Newbie Trainer
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I know it sounds like a stupid question but what is the best way to calculate your 1RM? I'm thinking that a 'safe' way would be along the lines of picking a weight you know you can do a few reps on, near what you estimate your 1RM is, and then you pump out as many reps as you can before you fail, then using some sort of equation calculate what your 1RM max is. Am I close? Or is it along the lines of starting with a heavy weight as above, doing one rep, adding weight, then doing 1 rep, adding weight, rep....until you can't lift the bar? They both have their limitations.

Cheers

LD

"There's no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"

·
Newbie Trainer
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
corbuk said:
how about try and do your 1 rep max .........
What a bright idea, why didn't I think of that? :thumb:

Do you know what your 1RMs are? If so how did you find out?

Here's what I'm trying to say: You pick a weight that you think may be near to your 1RM but a bit less, you make 3 reps. You add a bit more weight, make 2 reps, add a bit more, make 1 rep. Is that last weight a true reflection of your 1RM or is it in fact an under-estimate since you are pre-fatigued by the previous lifts? Surely using the statistical data available, an estimate of your 1RM based on the 1st weight repped 3 times is more accurate.

Cheers

LD

·
Natural0
10,018 Posts
LordDecider said:
What a bright idea, why didn't I think of that? :thumb:

Do you know what your 1RMs are? If so how did you find out?

Here's what I'm trying to say: You pick a weight that you think may be near to your 1RM but a bit less, you make 3 reps. You add a bit more weight, make 2 reps, add a bit more, make 1 rep. Is that last weight a true reflection of your 1RM or is it in fact an under-estimate since you are pre-fatigued by the previous lifts? Surely using the statistical data available, an estimate of your 1RM based on the 1st weight repped 3 times is more accurate.

Cheers

LD
All if would ever be amigo is an estimate

Unless you've held that weight in your hands and lifted it, you cannot claim that is your 1rm.

If you are after a method to test your 1rm then google:

Warm up to PRs elitefts

·
Getting HUGE!
1,576 Posts
TH&S said:

Unless you've held that weight in your hands and lifted it, you cannot claim that is your 1rm.

Warm up to PRs elitefts
Couldnt have put it better myself...repped.

·
Banned
1,194 Posts
TH&S said:

Warm up to PRs elitefts
couldnt put it any other way

·
Newbie Trainer
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TH&S said:

Warm up to

PRs

elitefts

Thank you Monsieur, that's just what I was looking for, a helpful, response with a link to exactly the information I was looking for. Some others could learn from that..........

And of course your 1RM is not a hard and fast number, so even following the advice given above the figure you come up with is only your 1RM at 6pm on Monday which may be different to your 1RM at 9am on Wednesday, but that's not really important when it comes to training. Or is it?

Cheers

L "Gonzalez" D

·
Getting HUGE!
1,576 Posts
LordDecider said:
Thank you Monsieur, that's just what I was looking for, a helpful, response with a link to exactly the information I was looking for. Some others could learn from that..........

And of course your 1RM is not a hard and fast number, so even following the advice given above the figure you come up with is only your 1RM at 6pm on Monday which may be different to your 1RM at 9am on Wednesday, but that's not really important when it comes to training. Or is it?

Cheers

L "Gonzalez" D
I think you answered your own question there. If you keep on moving the goalposts this question could go on for ever...

·
Newbie Trainer
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bigacb said:
I think you answered your own question there. If you keep on moving the goalposts this question could go on for ever...
Not really moving the goalposts, just highlighting that the concept of the 1RM isn't as simple as some may think.

Hey, I'm just a newbie to this game so I'm still exploring basic concepts so that I can understand more fully the principles of BB, this is why I posted this in the 'Getting Started' section. I'm currently planning a basic compound exercise program based on Madcow's 5x5 and that involves a determination of 1RM. This is where my original question came from, which although it may sound silly when you read it for the 1st time, if you look at the link that TH&S posted you will see that it is in fact quite a complicated process that involves a lot of precise warm up.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/warm_up_to_prs.htm

Cheers

LD

1 - 11 of 11 Posts