UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wrestling is the base of mma.

Bjj is now pretty much obsolete in top level mma.

Just pick an activity you enjoy for fitness and for confidence in self defence.

If your doing it to act the big man on nights out your doing it for the wrong reasons.

·
Premium Member
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Wrestling is the base of mma.

Bjj is now pretty much obsolete in top level mma.

Just pick an activity you enjoy for fitness and for confidence in self defence.

If your doing it to act the big man on nights out your doing it for the wrong reasons.
blimey this is an old one but thanks for the tips !!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Join a decent MMA club these there’s no stand out one fits all martial art , every kid and his dog is doing MMA now since the UFC went main stream. A good MMA club will give you the fundamentals you need like a solid stand up and striking understanding and solid ground game. The streets are a whole different beast though, I could beat a certain man easily in the ring or cage with rules but that same man could beat me on the street under different circumstances.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Wing chun can be extremely affective if you can master it,and apply it properly - someone I know who is extremely well versed in it reckons it's never let him down,could that be 100% true,f**k knows,but I will say he is very good at it

Most times though if you get into it with someone on the pavement then it's who hits first and is gamer at the end of the day isn't it,a lot of self defence and "some" martial arts doesn't transfer at all to real life,because some people's heads just go & they haven't got the self control & discipline to practice what they've been taught,and also cos some of it is just bulls**t

Boxing is my base,Its good for anyone to do a bit,even if you just have a move about at a local gym,but muay thai is great for real situations,it's all fun & games getting saucy til someone whips in a teep into your guts,that can stop agg before it starts,that krav maga is lively too

Most times though it's about who imposes his will first and who's day it is,you might get a pasting one day,you might give a pasting the next

·
Premium Member
12,810 Posts
I still think smashing a pot ashtray over your opponents head wins hands down. Only 2 problems with this tactic these days. A lack of pot ashtrays since the smoking inside ban, although you could rip the steel cigarette bin off the wall and twat them with that. The other problem is the introduction of cctv meaning you could get done for criminal damage to the *** butt bin and some form of other offence depending on how hard you hit the bloke

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
I still think smashing a pot ashtray over your opponents head wins hands down. Only 2 problems with this tactic these days. A lack of pot ashtrays since the smoking inside ban, although you could rip the steel cigarette bin off the wall and twat them with that. The other problem is the introduction of cctv meaning you could get done for criminal damage to the *** butt bin and some form of other offence depending on how hard you hit the bloke
I can also say that this works and have been on the receiving end of a glass ashtray frisbeed 10ft across a front room.....by the wife :ROFLMAO: resulting in said ashtray bouncing off my head rendering me cockeyed and bleeding from an open wound...needless to say she won that fight that night.

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you have a combination of 2 or 3 disciplines you can get by in combat sports. I had experience on the streets to start as I worked doors, my background is in BJJ and boxing and some wrestling I think your best bet for on the streets would be boxing, when you start trying to put big drunk blokes in chokes or locks they will bite you try to pull your eyes out or balls off. There’s no point learning a discipline to be tasty on the street though to be honest , the cage or ring then yeah but the street your either already tasty or your not but even then an ashtray to the head can change things sharply

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
If you have a combination of 2 or 3 disciplines you can get by in combat sports. I had experience on the streets to start as I worked doors, my background is in BJJ and boxing and some wrestling I think your best bet for on the streets would be boxing, when you start trying to put big drunk blokes in chokes or locks they will bite you try to pull your eyes out or balls off. There’s no point learning a discipline to be tasty on the street though to be honest , the cage or ring then yeah but the street your either already tasty or your not but even then an ashtray to the head can change things sharply
I agree brah. I’m tasty as fook and kind of a big deal on the streets

21 - 34 of 34 Posts