UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
want 5% off myprotein? use code MP16769
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone do behind the neck shoulder press on smith? ive always done it and its worked wonders for my shoulders, however as im getting stronger im starting to get problems on one side. i talked to one of the senior members of the gym and he said he used to love doing it, but once he got up to 2 plates his shoulder just gave in.

im wondering whether to stick with it or just dump it? :beer:

·
My Protein Discount Code MP2819
5,868 Posts
Behind the neck exercises have been discussed to death. IMHO they are dangerous and should be removed altogether from your programme as they work against your shoulders design.

Whenever this subject comes up though, there are always people who have done them for years no injury. Similar to the smoking arguement, everyone knows someones granny who lived to be 100 and smoked 20 a day. Thing is, do you want to be one of the people who dont live to 100? or live to 100 and have a poor quality of life for the last 20 of them?

Substitute the behind the neck presses for safer ones where your hands are constantly in front of the body and in full view.

Safe presses, take the inline bench, fully incline it, then take it back one pin. Press dumbells from shoulder straight up, due to very slight angle, you will naturally be pushing up and very slightly to the front, far safer and still works your entire deltoid.

hth

SD

·
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ive always done it with no problems but as im getting heavier on it is where im seeing problems. maybe stick with heavy in front and go light behind?

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
If you like it and it doesn't hurt then do it.

If it hurts then don't.

Everyone is different. Innate and individual differences.

I personally fcuking hate the **** piece of $hit ecercise as it messed up my shoulder for a fair bit...

.....but as I said - you like it - it feels goooooood = DO - IT :cool2:

·
210lbs and rising
765 Posts
its all down to an individuals biomechanics. I think its an excellent exercise but shouldn't be used as the main strength or mass builder for shoulders purely because it could be dangerous to fail on. I do these standing with BB after deads and front standing shoulder press with a lightish weight.

·
:(
369 Posts
SportDr said:
Behind the neck exercises have been discussed to death. IMHO they are dangerous and should be removed altogether from your programme as they work against your shoulders design.

Whenever this subject comes up though, there are always people who have done them for years no injury. Similar to the smoking arguement, everyone knows someones granny who lived to be 100 and smoked 20 a day. Thing is, do you want to be one of the people who dont live to 100? or live to 100 and have a poor quality of life for the last 20 of them?

Substitute the behind the neck presses for safer ones where your hands are constantly in front of the body and in full view.

Safe presses, take the inline bench, fully incline it, then take it back one pin. Press dumbells from shoulder straight up, due to very slight angle, you will naturally be pushing up and very slightly to the front, far safer and still works your entire deltoid.

hth

SD
Nice post. :thumb: I agree with above.

·
5,868 Posts
trickymicky69 said:
if behind the neck press is unnatural....

whats the diff between bnp and squatting with an olympic bar in the low position?

i will tell you the difference.

naff all.
NAff all except you arent pressing the bar over your head? :whistling:

·
5,868 Posts
Anyway, like I said debated to DEATH.

All I can say is, you only need to tear your RC once and its bye bye bbing until you have recovered from an operation, if its repairable. You won't be able to painlessly lift your arm, period, so cant drive, eat with K & F, wipe your own butt.... Are you happy to take that risk for the sake of simply putting the bar in front of your head instead of behind?

Its your choice fellas :D

SD

·
1,181 Posts
i think its to good an exercise to disregard out of hand like that, it can be dangerous if dont in the traditional way ( lowing it right down to the traps with a free weight barbell) but if you only lower it to your eyel level and use a smith machine i dont see it being anymore dangerous then any other type of o.h press.

·
Natural0
10,018 Posts
BigDom86 said:
does anyone do behind the neck shoulder press on smith? ive always done it and its worked wonders for my shoulders, however as im getting stronger im starting to get problems on one side. i talked to one of the senior members of the gym and he said he used to love doing it, but once he got up to 2 plates his shoulder just gave in.

im wondering whether to stick with it or just dump it? :beer:
Dom I don't like the Smith for shoulder pressing. The groove of the smith forces your shoulder to work in exactly the same way every time, which can lead to injury on other exercises.

That being said I know many people who've never had a problem with the smith.

Try DB Shoulder Press with a good spotter if you want a change. Go light if you have a slight niggle and rehab/prehab it.

·
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hmmm think ill go heavy in front and just stay light behind then as it only feels bad when i go heavy. i dont go below eye level though behind, and infront only go to chin level.

btw para you been watchin the new season of shield :D ive been hooked since season1 its nice to see someone else who appreciates the greatness of tht show!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.