UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Newbie Trainer
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why/how do these numb-arses command so much remuneration? Baffles me...

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
If they were in a privately owned company, I'm sure they wouldn't earn as much without bringing in the money.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Truly annoys me... I also begrudge paying over £13 a month for some weird TV tax :angry:
I knocked my licence on the head. Unless you use BBC iPlayer or watch live TV you don't need one. With the exception of the BBC, you can watch live shows an hour later on their catch up services.

·
Premium Member
6,511 Posts
I knocked my licence on the head. Unless you use BBC iPlayer or watch live TV you don't need one. With the exception of the BBC, you can watch live shows an hour later on their catch up services.
I thought everyone was stitched up with the rules... basically having internet access means you must pay whether you own a TV or not.

Would love a way out of it!

When don't I need a licence to watch TV?

You don't need a TV Licence if you never watch or record programmes as they're being shown on TV, on any channel, or live on an online TV service, and you never download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer - live, catch up or on demand.

This applies to any provider or device you use, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or Blu-ray/DVD/VHS recorder.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
I'll never forget the summer holidays as a kid. Every day my dad would leave for work, and say the same thing, "whatever you do, don't answer the door". :D Just in case it was the TV licence people. My dad has always earned a good wage, he just did not want to pay those bastards a penny.

·
Getting HUGE!
9,298 Posts
I know a couple of people who work at the BBC - one of them a head of a department - and they both told me that the majority of rank and file working at the BBC would love the license to be abandoned in favour of a subscription based approach and sales of programs and services abroad. Apparently they all feel it would make a very good business.

·
Premium Member
3,576 Posts
I've quoted from the same site, didn't just make that up :lol:

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ99

So if I pull the aerial out the tv and say I don't watch BBC on my phone or laptop, they'll be fine with that?

Will they check, can they check??
Yes. If you have a smart TV just say you only watch apps like YouTube etc, and or TV on catch up(no BBC Iplayer) , if it ever gets to the point where they want you to demonstrate what you use your TV for.

Don't need to let them in unless they come with the police. But unless you live in a place where the police literally have fook all to do, this is highly unlikely.

These days they know they're really pushing their luck from a legal standpoint trying to force people to pay their BS licence. So they don't do much to enforce it anymore. Just rely on the sheeple that pay it without question.

·
Banned
3,960 Posts
I'll never forget the summer holidays as a kid. Every day my dad would leave for work, and say the same thing, "whatever you do, don't answer the door". :D Just in case it was the TV licence people. My dad has always earned a good wage, he just did not want to pay those bastards a penny.
What happened next! I can't wait to find out?????

I know a couple of people who work at the BBC - one of them a head of a department - and they both told me that the majority of rank and file working at the BBC would love the license to be abandoned in favour of a subscription based approach and sales of programs and services abroad. Apparently they all feel it would make a very good business.
Yeah I know the guy who owns the BBC and John loggiebaird!

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
Yes. If you have a smart TV just say you only watch apps like YouTube etc, and or TV on catch up(no BBC Iplayer) , if it ever gets to the point where they want you to demonstrate what you use your TV for.

Don't need to let them in unless they come with the police. But unless you live in a place where the police literally have fook all to do, this is highly unlikely.

These days they know they're really pushing their luck from a legal standpoint trying to force people to pay their BS licence. So they don't do much to enforce it anymore. Just rely on the sheeple that pay it without question.
This isn't true. Even if they come with police so what. Under what legislation have the police to enter your home check your viewing arrangements

·
Newbie Trainer
582 Posts
If BBC didn't pay their presenters the market rate, they'd all move to ITV or Sky or to the US altogether

Do you want 6th form work experience kids presenting all BBC flagship shows?

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Been doing this for a while now, never had an issue with the TV licence people. Don't think I'll ever pay for one as most shows on normal TV channels are rubbish and most things end up on Prime or Netflix anyways.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts