UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Gym Addict
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

Can anyone suggest a really good programme to build my arms? :confused1:

I know I have to work the triceps more (seen sticky post!) but I'm a little unsure of which routine to follow. Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

·
Physiotherapy student..
1,275 Posts
Slamdog said:
deadlifts....
Slamdog is this why you are suffering pain between L4/L5 if you consider deadlifts to be the best arm mass builder?. All mass exercises will stimulate some arm growth but come on this is a new member looking for advice.

·
Gym Addict
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rickski said:
Slamdog is this why you are suffering pain between L4/L5 if you consider deadlifts to be the best arm mass builder?. All mass exercises will stimulate some arm growth but come on this is a new member looking for advice.
I assume that Deadlifts is not necessarily the way forward!??

·
Gym Addict
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GYMBABE said:
how long have you been training?

what is your current training program?

Diet?
I was training for about 18 months (the odd month off every now and again to receover) but since I went back to college in August I've slacked completely, both in the gym and in regards to my diet.

I've set myself a goal to start going the gym again from the coming Monday and I'll be going three times a week. My diet is poor at the moment but I plan to eat low colorie, high protein foods. I'll be aiming for 50% protein intake, 40% carbs & 10% fat.

·
Vanity is a Sin
6,890 Posts
slype said:
I was training for about 18 months (the odd month off every now and again to receover) .
Thats some recovery time there mate:)

So you are just going to train arms:confused1: tbh mate you don't sound too serious in your approach to training (just mho), do as gymbabe says and post the diet & programme, look at the stickys for building mass, I'm sure if you do good compound exercises for a year your arms will grow along with everything else, and in proportion:thumb:

·
Must try hard!
1,912 Posts
tel3563 said:

So you are just going to train arms:confused1: tbh mate you don't sound too serious in your approach to training (just mho), do as gymbabe says and post the diet & programme, look at the stickys for building mass, I'm sure if you do good compound exercises for a year your arms will grow along with everything else, and in proportion:thumb:
He didn't mention that he was only training arms, he said that he needed an arm building workout..?

I'd suggest doing 2 exercises for each muscle group on the arm, although i sometimes do 3. For example, Triceps, Overhead extensions and V-Rope pulldown. Biceps, seated/standing barbell/dumbell curl (many Bicep variations). Deltoids should come into place when doing your shoulder workout. Hope this helps

·
Gym Addict
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tel3563 said:

I've re-read my post and agree I sound a bit uninterested but I can assure you I am. I wont be just training my arms but my primary aim is to increase my arm size. The reason for this is that I have exceptionally long arms and no matter how hard I train them they always appear thinner because of the length.

Day 1 Chest & Triceps

Flat bench press

Dumbell flat bench press

Dips

Lying Tricep extensions

Standing tricep pushdowns

Day 3 Legs, Shoulders & Abs

Seated Leg extensions

Squats

Calf presses

Seated military press

Dumbell lateral raises

Weighted cable crunches

Day 5 Back & Biceps

Cable pulldowns to front

Seated back row

Barbell shrugs

Alternate dumbell curls

Straight bar curls

My reps will be pyramided from 10 warm up reps dropping to 8 @ moderate weight, then 6 @ heavier weight and then trying to get 4 for on my failure weight.

Diet is more difficult as I dont have this planned as yet. I will be reading through other posts to get tips on foods to eat but I will be aiming for around a 50-40-10% split between protein, carbs and fat.

·
Gym Addict
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
T_Woody said:
He didn't mention that he was only training arms, he said that he needed an arm building workout..?

I'd suggest doing 2 exercises for each muscle group on the arm, although i sometimes do 3. For example, Triceps, Overhead extensions and V-Rope pulldown. Biceps, seated/standing barbell/dumbell curl (many Bicep variations). Deltoids should come into place when doing your shoulder workout. Hope this helps
Cheers Woody...

·
Gym Addict
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
YetiMan said:
Well he did a winny cycle so he looked buff for his hunnymoon ^^

I do have to agree with Slamdog, also squats! Dont ask saw a thread/post/article about Squats make your arm grow.
Thats the strangest thing I've heard yet, I'd love to read that post/article/thread. Dont suppose you have a link?

·
Complete Basket Case
4,766 Posts
Rickski said:
I find that deadlifts are the best way to build up arms as part of the compound move. not only are you working your biceps and triceps but you are also working your grip, your back, and legs all in one. Ok, it isn't a curl which is probably what you wanted to hear.

As for pain... I don't get the pain when i'm deadlifting, i get it when i'm sitting down, when i'm not sitting straight, when i'm picking things up from a lateral position, when i look around when i'm reversing the car or when i'm washing up and putting the dishes away..

Ok, an arm building routine for the new member...

3x12 barbell curls

3x12 hammer curls

3x12 dumbell kickbacks

3x12 cable curls

repeat 3 times a week....

·
Vanity is a Sin
6,890 Posts
T_Woody said:
:thumbup1:It was a little tongue in cheek mate, somebody wanting big arms, shocker

Would concentrate on compound for a while first, DL's-squat-pull ups-bo rows-bench press-mil press, bang in a couple of bi's and tri's once or twice a week, switch it around every now and again, I think the best strength/mass gains i've seen were on a 5x5, plenty of info on it in previous threads, eat plenty of good protein and carbs like you say and everything should be good, listen to some of the experienced guys round here, they know there stuff:)

Dont forget to enjoy it as well, important for continuity

G

·
im guessing you want to bulk or slightly build some mass mate, hundreds or even thousands of diets in the diet section and as for arms, no diet means no muscle, get your diet sorted first, then compounds moves are good really, deadlifts press' etc

kinda hard to answer this question in a way as you should never target just arms mate:whistling:

slype said:
Dont suppose anyone has a ready made diet they can post on here?

·
Gym Addict
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
tel3563 said:
:thumbup1:It was a little tongue in cheek mate, somebody wanting big arms, shocker

Would concentrate on compound for a while first, DL's-squat-pull ups-bo rows-bench press-mil press, bang in a couple of bi's and tri's once or twice a week, switch it around every now and again, I think the best strength/mass gains i've seen were on a 5x5, plenty of info on it in previous threads, eat plenty of good protein and carbs like you say and everything should be good, listen to some of the experienced guys round here, they know there stuff:)

Dont forget to enjoy it as well, important for continuity
Cheers, will bear all serious comments in mind...

·
UK-M's Kindergarten Cop!
2,275 Posts
Slamdog said:
Ok, an arm building routine for the new member...

3x12 barbell curls

3x12 hammer curls

3x12 dumbell kickbacks

3x12 cable curls

repeat 3 times a week....
Thats a very weird arm routine and especially 3 times per week! Why would you recommend this Slamdog???

·
Complete Basket Case
4,766 Posts
willsey4 said:
Thats a very weird arm routine and especially 3 times per week! Why would you recommend this Slamdog???
because that is what the bicep boys at my gym do... and they all have huge arms...

they have legs like matchsticks though and cant do any exercise without a belt on.

Everything I have ever read says do major compound moves. Until you are at competition level then there is no need for isolation exercises at all.

If you are going to exercise your arms then presses and pulls.. bench, shoulder, military, and rows, pulldowns, lifts. Ok, I'm not an expert, but thats what I have read, been told and until the general consensus of opinion shifts then I'll stick to compounds.

·
UK-M's Kindergarten Cop!
2,275 Posts
Slamdog said:
because that is what the bicep boys at my gym do... and they all have huge arms...

they have legs like matchsticks though and cant do any exercise without a belt on.

Everything I have ever read says do major compound moves. Until you are at competition level then there is no need for isolation exercises at all.

If you are going to exercise your arms then presses and pulls.. bench, shoulder, military, and rows, pulldowns, lifts. Ok, I'm not an expert, but thats what I have read, been told and until the general consensus of opinion shifts then I'll stick to compounds.
Agreed for the best year of initial training to get a solid base compound movements are the best and no need for isolating the biceps and triceps. However you can isolate them even if your not at competing level. I have not competed yet and would always isolate them (not much though)

I do biceps with chest on Mon:

EZ bar curls - 3 sets, 10 reps

Preacher curls - 3 sets, 10 reps

Concentration curls - 3 sets, 10 reps

I do triceps with shoulders on thursday:

Skullcrushers - 3 sets, 10 reps

Pushdowns - 3 sets, 10 reps

Reverse single arm pushdowns - 3 sets, 10 reps

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.