UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know any garages in birmingham or around birmingham doing apprenticeships?

I've wanted to do it since i left school and i've sent of countless cv's and applied for so many and ive never had anyone come back to me. Job center dont help and neither do connexions.

·
in a quest to grow and attain abs together
3,851 Posts
you just gotta keep looking, my best bet for you would be go to college for a year then try, i had no chance at jobs last year when i did nothing (just outa school) and when i finished college this year i had a chance but missed out as they picked other folk but got 2 companies i might have a chance with just now due to being at college doing engineering for a year, so go to college do a years mechanics course then try? tbh the only way you'l get an apprenticeship straight outa school is if you know someone, i got 3 mates all in diff apprenticeships (mechanic, sparky and plumber) all got them due to knowing a friend of the family or a family member within the company

·
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yer i did do mechanics at school it is a low qualification but its still its a qualification ive also done half a year of doing it then again it turned out to be the wrong course and it was something to take me onto uni or something i was properly fcuked off when i found out thinking about it now i should have stayed but oh well thats life. Didnt really want to go back to college but if its the only way of doing it ill have to think about it. Just simply the fact that if i go to college i dont get no money for going and if im not there i can still get dole cause looking for a job at the moment is hopeless

And thats the only thing i can do which i enjoy rather than being on the dole or stuck in a dead end job all my life.

·
Banned
9,206 Posts
I've got two school leavers starting college me in September, one wants to be a Mechanic / diesel fitter and the other one wants to be a Joiner.

When their schools contacted our offices in June and told us they had applied to the local college for an apprenticeship in the above trade.

The Depot manager asked me to get them down for a chat. I told them that the money would be low due to them being apprentices, they were OK with that, what I also told them was we like to train people our way so they know how we work.

We started them 2 weeks later working with the fitters and joiners and they start college in September.

The two lads are proving to be good finds, they listen to whoever they are working with.

One lad who was working with one of the joiners re fitted a whole accomodation unit which was being scrapped, he asked the joiner for a task to do one week while it was dead in the yard, the joiner thought, "I'll give him that old unit to do up that will F**K him up", 5 days later is was like a new cabin, re fitted, re wired, new doors the whole shooting match. He was well proud of what he'd done and rightly so.

The same applies to the lad who's started diesel fitting, he wants to learn and prove himself.

I think we've found two gems.

·
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yer i done mechanics at school and im always helping mates change parts for their cars latest thing i changed was a clutch on my step moms ka that was a f**** but i dont it. I know i can do it i just need someone to give me the chance and before it was abit easier because ive been on the dole a while i could get a grant from the job center for them to take me on bit of an incentive for them but now all the cuts they have stopped it. And college i wouldnt get no money for going there and ill just be overall worse off which is why i dont really want to go there.

Just thought someone on here might have a few links or something.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.