UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
The "cheapest" bulking food is probably breakfast cereal or oats. Super calorie dense and costs next to nothing if you buy own brand. Plus it's easy to eat and digests quick - just eat it post work out to avoid "spill over"

Other "cheap" options are:

Tuna
Mushy peas
Bananas
Basa fish
Prawns
Nuts & nut butters
Cream
Skyr yogurts (lidls ones cost **** all)
Chick peas

Obviously some of these things you need to go careful with as processed/calorie dense and you'll wanna avoid spill over. As with anything the better the quality of investment typically the better the results. I find lidls to be a pretty reasonably priced super market for meat & fresh produce which means I can eat pretty clean without breaking the bank.

Btw - the lidls vanilla skyr + 1 scoop of protein powder turns into a real thick puddingy type affair. Great for if you get sweet cravings but want to stay on diet.

·
Premium Member
4,524 Posts
The "cheapest" bulking food is probably breakfast cereal or oats. Super calorie dense and costs next to nothing if you buy own brand. Plus it's easy to eat and digests quick - just eat it post work out to avoid "spill over"

Other "cheap" options are:

Tuna
Mushy peas
Bananas
Basa fish
Prawns
Nuts & nut butters
Cream
Skyr yogurts (lidls ones cost **** all)
Chick peas

Obviously some of these things you need to go careful with as processed/calorie dense and you'll wanna avoid spill over. As with anything the better the quality of investment typically the better the results. I find lidls to be a pretty reasonably priced super market for meat & fresh produce which means I can eat pretty clean without breaking the bank.

Btw - the lidls vanilla skyr + 1 scoop of protein powder turns into a real thick puddingy type affair. Great for if you get sweet cravings but want to stay on diet.
Try the Aldi skyr. 1kg for £1.69 o_O

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Try cheaper cuts of meat in the slow cooker

Outs/milk/whey/peanut butter shake can coke out at over 1000k

·
So it seems a Human had been rather injured by a k
9,416 Posts
If your normal diet has enough protein then bulking shouldn't cost much more. You only need to eat a bit more which just means bigger portions of rice/potatoes/bread/banana's................

·
Premium Member
1,934 Posts
Bulking is real about carbs imo.

My protein intake remains pretty steady throughout either a bulk or cut, i vary the carbs needed to increase calories. Since protein is nearly always the most expensive part of a diet, make sure that you're getting the right amount and not over-eating. I find this video by matt wenning very interesting;

As to cheap-ish foods that are useful to add size;

Whole milk (8 pints for £2.30 in Lidl)
Potatoes (Mashed with butter)
Chicken thighs (Cook on a tray with a wire grill to separate the fat)
Pork mince (£4.38 for a kg of 5% fat in Sainsburys now)
Pork Loin chops
Rice is nearly always cheap
Oats
Full fat yoghurt
Peanut butter
15 eggs for about a quid in Farmfoods
Olive oil is an easy way to add in extra calories, i always cook nearly everything with butter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I literally had this conversation with a mate last week. I don't know how cheap you're talking but he's been injured and out of work so we made the cheapest plan we could.
Use peas/beans and peanut butter along with your grains to make up complete protein and and extra nutrition for cheap.
buy bulk whey when it's on offer at one of the big places, buy chicken in bulk from somewhere like food warehouse (5kg fresh chicken breast for £19).
For most other things go to somewhere like aldi or lidl and you can eat something like this-

2 toast
4 eggs
1/3 tin baked beans

620cals 30- 35g protein - 43p

75g oats
20g pb
1 whey
30g raisins

560cals 25g- 30g protein - 39p

75g rice
15ml olive oil
80g peas
100g chicken

600cals 25g- 30g protein - 66p

75g oats
20g pb
1 whey
Banana

575cals 25g- 30g protein - 45p

75g rice
15ml olive oil
80g black beans
100g chicken

600cal 25g-30g protein - 66p

Tin sardines
2 eggs
2 toast

550cal 32g protein - 55p

Thats plenty of protein, carbs and decent fats along with fruits and veggies for just over £3 a day. Its around 3500 cals too but easy to add calories or take them away for cheap. Just add rice, oats, olive oil for extra or take it away if needed

·
There's no rules........Find what works for you!!!
25,527 Posts
Oats,eggs,milk,rice,pasta,peanut butter,extra virgin olive oil

·
Registered
13 Posts
The Lidl vinilla Skyr is good I’ll back that, my issue is when I start I can’t stop and I’ll eat it in one sitting 😂

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I need the fat for my bulks, full fat milk, full yoghurt, full fat coke 😂 I’m a hard gainer so calories are calories 😂
I don't understand why people are so afraid of fat? Is it because its calorie dense? Or are they scared of the saturation

·
Premium Member
12,714 Posts
Nice to see a decent thread for a change. For me personally my go to for additional calories is full fat milk and cereal on top of my normal diet.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
The Lidl vinilla Skyr is good I’ll back that, my issue is when I start I can’t stop and I’ll eat it in one sitting 😂
Why wouldn't you eat the whole thing? The lidls skyr is only 200-300kcal per pot (new pots are bigger). It's not exactly calorie dense is it

1 - 20 of 25 Posts