UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the Medichecks "Vitamin B12 (Active) Blood Test" out of curiosity, and also it was on sale for 31 quid, so why not.

I've been on Metformin for about 2 years now (which can apparently cause a deficiency), and I have a relative that I know of who actually has a deficiency. Thought it would make sense to check my level.

I was expecting the result to be either normal or low, but it seems instead I've exceeded their cap of 150 pmol/L...

From the Medichecks info on the test result page:

What might a high result mean?
A high level of vitamin B12 is usually the result of taking too many B12 supplements. Raised levels of vitamin B12 can indicate a liver disorder, such as acute hepatitis or cirrhosis. This is because vitamin B12 is stored by the liver, and so when it is damaged, it cannot uptake more and leaks. Elevated levels are also seen in some blood disorders.

Since they mention liver disorders, and I've got a fatty liver (confirmed by scan), I Google to see if a fatty liver can also cause high B12 levels, but the results seem to say the opposite; a person with NAFLD (Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease) would expect to see low levels of B12, not high.

The short version is that I'm now concerned that I might have hepatitis or some kind of blood cancer or something.

Anyone have any input / similar experience..?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know they keep an eye on my liver values as part of the diabetes care, but I don't know what they actually are. I know my ALT was elevated the last time I paid for a test myself, so maybe it was that being consistently high that led them to send me for the liver scan that confirmed a fatty liver, and that was November 2021.

(At which time they also found a cyst on my spleen)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts