UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Getting Massive, Current PB: Squats 142.5kg x5ATG,
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because im looking into it now, and by the looks of things you dont even need any a-levels and you can get a full degree? is that right! if so whats the point in A-Levels. :confused1:

·
One step at a time.
5,255 Posts
OU if I remember correctly accept most people even those without A-levels BUT you have to do all your own learning with dedicated websites, audio tapes, video etc. not the traditional lecture/classroom style.

I can imagine this would be bad and not much work would get done.

·
Unless you're a bodybuilder you only rent food
5,555 Posts
Well, actually, most Universities, especially the most prestigious, always reserved the right to take people for degree courses even without the usual entry qualifications.

But of course they had to be persuaded that the entrant was suitably intelligent and up to doing the work.

The top unis always used to interview everyone individually, sometimes several times, to learn if they were eligible.

·
Mine's bigger than yours!....My dad, that is!
295 Posts
If I remember correctly, the first year of any OU degree is geared towards seeing if you are suitable to study & to continue to do so, at that level.

You do need to have the time to set aside each week to study as certain modules have to be completed within time limits & if you fall behind, it makes it difficult to catch up.

Have considered it before but just never got round to doing it what with work/family commitments etc.

·
Getting Massive, Current PB: Squats 142.5kg x5ATG,
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BigStew said:
If I remember correctly, the first year of any OU degree is geared towards seeing if you are suitable to study & to continue to do so, at that level.

You do need to have the time to set aside each week to study as certain modules have to be completed within time limits & if you fall behind, it makes it difficult to catch up.

Have considered it before but just never got round to doing it what with work/family commitments etc.
im 17, just exploring my options really, already got an AS in law but jus wondering if theres any point doing another two years at college when i could do this. But thats another thing how would i pay for the courses? lol

·
Premium Member
12,895 Posts
I got my degree with the OU. I had my A-levels though.

I think that, like with all unis, you need qualifications that are equivalent to A-levels. So with the OU, if you want to study a degree, you may need to do prior courses with them or elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
12,895 Posts
BigStew said:
Think with OU, you can pay installments & if you can do that, it'll save all the debt from normal uni!
Not only can you pay with installments, but you can get financial support...I got one year for free due to getting incapacity benefits.

·
Newbie Trainer
17 Posts
Nowadays its better to do an access course which gives you "access" to uni, its called a diploma, but im sure you have to be 18 or over. Doing an ou course for a full degree will usually take much longer and its harder to study on your own. The access course also runs for a year and it costs around £110 at your local college.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.