UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Work in Progress
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive had this cat for about 17 years, ever since the day we got him when you go to pet him he ducks his head down as if he was going to be belted.

he is half siamese which people say makes cats grumpy and less playful.

is this maybe from abuse as a kitten? or does the b*stard still not LOVE ME!

·
Premium Member
12,895 Posts
D4V3 said:
ive had this cat for about 17 years, ever since the day we got him when you go to pet him he ducks his head down as if he was going to be belted.

he is half siamese which people say makes cats grumpy and less playful.

is this maybe from abuse as a kitten? or does the b*stard still not LOVE ME!
I'm a cat person!!

I grew up with cats from all sorts of negative backgrounds and eventually they all became affectionate moggies; though one of them is still fearful of being picked up...I think he may be afraid of heights though!!

From my understanding and experience, cats can easily be affected by their youth....negative experiences can affect them for life. The only way, IMO, is to teach them that bad stuff will no longer happen. A big thing in my experience, is to not force a cat to recieve affection...so for example, if a cat pulls away from being stroked, don't persue it or inviade its' space. I suppose in essence, respecting a cat's wishes is the best way for it to like you!

·
Premium Member
12,895 Posts
Ashcrapper said:
tickle his chin instead of stroking the top of his head first
Good point...I had a lovely cat who loved affection, but when people kept trying to touch him on the head he was not happy...think he found it intimidating

·
Work in Progress
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Katy said:
I'm a cat person!!

I grew up with cats from all sorts of negative backgrounds and eventually they all became affectionate moggies; though one of them is still fearful of being picked up...I think he may be afraid of heights though!!

From my understanding and experience, cats can easily be affected by their youth....negative experiences can affect them for life. The only way, IMO, is to teach them that bad stuff will no longer happen. A big thing in my experience, is to not force a cat to recieve affection...so for example, if a cat pulls away from being stroked, don't persue it or inviade its' space. I suppose in essence, respecting a cat's wishes is the best way for it to like you!
i got him for free haha he was the "runt" apparently, but im suspecting abuse from his first owner?

the only time hes not avoiding people is when its time for food or he wants on the arm of my chair.

unless its one of those things hes after he just avoids everybody to find somewhere quiet to sulk fart and snore.

·
Test Enth with a few little blue hearts. MP65688
1,498 Posts
I'm assuming this has happened since you were a child?

As i was aware, siamese cats were a one person type of cat.

My mums cat use to be like this and when she died she became very unsocial, gave her treats every day and talked to her. Gradually became more sociable but would have liked more :)

Also make your movements really slow and make sure your hands are clean, then they smell your smell more :)

·
Unless you're a bodybuilder you only rent food
5,555 Posts
I grew up with many farm and house cats.

I'll bet you it's his eyesight. Siamese cats especially are notoriously cross-eyed and/or sight impaired.

If you put a hand out fast towards him he prob can't immediately tell what it is. and ducks. I would too! Slow down and be gentle...

·
Gobby
10,533 Posts
D4V3 said:
i got him for free haha he was the "runt" apparently, but im suspecting abuse from his first owner?

the only time hes not avoiding people is when its time for food or he wants on the arm of my chair.

unless its one of those things hes after he just avoids everybody to find somewhere quiet to sulk fart and snore.
My cat's like that - she was the runt too, no abuse as far as I'm aware (I got her at 9 weeks), she's just not cuddly - hates being stroked unless she wants food but she likes being stroked by feet :confused1:

·
Little Lion
12,516 Posts
ba baracuss said:
Cats are for women to be fair. Get a male dog, they're more like blokes :thumbup1:
Nonsense.....

I have a male american bulldog and a female ragdoll cat... and they're best mates too lol.

Animals are animals.... you either like them or not, its no male/female thing :rolleyes:

G

·
My mother in law got 2 as kittens (1 male 1 female), rescued from animal shelter.

For at least the 1st year they wouldnt come anywhere near any of us, just hide behind the couch or dart straight to the cubby hole.

Eventually the female one would on occasion let u stroke her, the male one was far more dubious, couple of years in u cant get rid of the bleedin things, the male one actually bites u if u stop stroking him now little sod.

I just think they are very warey and dont forget, especially if they have had a bad upbringing

2,488 Posts
Zara-Leoni said:
Nonsense.....

I have a male american bulldog and a female ragdoll cat... and they're best mates too lol.

Animals are animals.... you either like them or not, its no male/female thing :rolleyes:
totally agree, my mrs has a staffie and its great with her she loves her staff. cats arent just a woman thing by a long way (but imo cats do suck lol)

·
Premium Member
12,895 Posts
D4V3 said:

That is actually my belief; that cats can be traumatised by previous bad experiences...often abuse...I guess all you can do is ensure that the cat learns that it is safe and free from harm. It's always worked with cats that I've grown up with anyway.

The only cats I haven't known to have issues are the two I have now...and I'm certain that it's becuase they aren't rescue cats and were bred to be cared for. :)

·
Gym Addict
437 Posts
Our family cat hates little kids because the previous owners little devil spawn would terrorise the two cats. We took them in and became the most loving cats you could want. Just remember cats are essentially a selfish, fully independent survival machine, they do what is in their interest only!

Your cat could well be just reacting to instincts and previous bad experience, alot of patience and chin rubbing helps, lifting the head of a cat or dog is less dominating than rubbing on top of the head.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.