UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well me and the ex have been finished for about a year, and i have just got a letter through the door off her solicitor wanting my car insurance details etc.. here is the story

i picked her up one nite, and she was ****ed, she started arguing while i was driving down a country lane, anyway, she pulled on my steering wheel to go off road, so i suddenly pushed on the brakes, and i hadnt realised she took off her seat belt, and she hit her head off my windowscreen.. now she is trying to claim.... was this my fault? what can i do about this? cheers chaps

·
Banned
3,150 Posts
I'm no solictor, but i believe it's only your legal responsibility to make sure a passenger is wearing a seat belt if they are under the age of 14 years old.

By the sounds of it she was responsible for the damage to your car and also put your life in danger. You should be the one suing her!

·
My Protein Discount Code MP2819
5,868 Posts
She sounds as mercenary as my ex mate, you arent obliged to send the details, make them sit and stew, drag it out as long as you can, it wil cost her more money in the long run.

·
Banned
3,150 Posts
C12AIG said:
If that's towards me, then no. Only when I drive people somewhere, and they have children with them then I make sure they're wearing a seatbelt as it would be my fault if anything happened.
The point i was making is; I assume his girlfriend is over the age of 14, thus it was not his responsibility that she was not wearing seat belt..

·
Classic Bodybulider
1,307 Posts
dunno if this will help but i work in a claims dept for car insurance, the problem you have is to prove what your ext actually done and what you are saying is true, check you policy document/booklet to see if you have any passenger negligence,

in the case for the car ins, we would apply for a police report is they were invovled and also get statmwents from passenger etc

·
Retired
39,602 Posts
Id dump that bitch, anyone that pulls on the wheel when you are driving I would put her at the side of the road and let her walk.

Is there any damage to your car or windshield?

If not say she has never been in your car before.

What are her damages?

Was there a witness?

Did she make a claim (that day) or a report at the time with her medical, hospital, police?

If she is claiming damages days later, and there is no damage to your car, no witness, I would let her get a lawyer.

·
Any more chicken and I will start clucking!!
2,616 Posts
flexwright said:
dunno if this will help but i work in a claims dept for car insurance, the problem you have is to prove what your ext actually done and what you are saying is true, check you policy document/booklet to see if you have any passenger negligence,

in the case for the car ins, we would apply for a police report is they were invovled and also get statmwents from passenger etc
I am a Loss Adjuster and deal with all manner of insurance liability issues (on the defence side). Whilst i mainly deal with product, public and employer's liability claims motor ones are more straight forward. I have also had 5 years experince on the other side for a solicitor actually making the claims.

Your partner will need to prove her case. In english law the burden of proof is upon the claimant. She will need to show 1, you were negligent in your driving and 2, your negligence lead to her injuries.

Firstly, she will need evidence otherwise it will be your word against hers. In the event she cannot provide a witness then I doubt the solicitors will want to pursue it. She more than likely has a conditional fee agreement claim (no win no fee) and therefore so far it has not cost anyon anything.

Secondly, did she go to the docs follwoing the injury. as I said she will need to prove the injury was caused. A photo or her say so will not cut the mustard here.

With regards to divulging the information I would give the sols your insurance details as after 3 months they will be just itching to litigate by default. Not worth going down that route unless sanctioned by your insurers - it is well expensive.

However, I would inform your insurers immediately of whats going on and that your ex bird is being vindictive. Hell, just say she is making it up if you feel its just your word against hers then just say I remember a time when she fell over a wall drunk and bashed her head. Your insurers will believe you over her and will protect yours/their interest.

DONT WORRY ABOUT IT TOO MUCH MATE. If you feel you can deflect it just tell the insurers its fraudulant, do not try and reason with your ex's solicitors they will not be interested and will be pressued by there target levels to get you itno court.

If you need any more help PM me.

Cheers

·
Complete Basket Case
4,766 Posts
Robsta said:
Just say she's full of sh1t and she was p1ssed and fell over.....deny even having her in the car then it's her word against yours....no witnesses = no case to answer
yep, ask her to prove she was in the car on the day/time.. bet she can't...

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Im a cop and yes she can request your insurance details and you should give them otherwise you commit an offence
so right, she can request my details even though she is the one in the wrong.. and her solicitor can send me a random letter requesting my details.. without any information on the letter of what she has told him.. all it says on the top of the letter is

i am instructed on behalf of the above named client to recover losses sustained as a result of an accident on the above date

it is a requirement of section 154 of the road traffic act 1988 that you prove us with the following

if i was insured or not

if i am insured, or was insured at that time, please give us full details of the insurance policy

confirm the make/model/ and reg of my car

and baiscly if i dont reply within 14 days, he is gonna isue court proceedings

·
Complete Basket Case
4,766 Posts
i would ask for details of the accident, and if there is any evidence of such an accident in the first place. Without that they have no legal right to the details... after all, you only have to provide them in the case of an accident.

if there was an accident then they should already know the make/model/reg of the car.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts