UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for any info / experiences of folks who have used the above combined.

I have never used. The bro in law has just come into the house earlier this morning after dropping the nephew off at school and the Mrs says he was bouncing off the walls. Turns out that the doc has just prescribed him with 20mg of citalopram & 80mg of propranolol per day for anxiety issues.

I will Google myself but I know that a few of you guys on here have mentioned in the past that you have used.

Any info you can provide on the above and the daily dosage would be much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,154 Posts
Citalopram had me as you say, bouncing off the walls initially. I remember trying to explain to my boss why I had to go home and I was an absolute state like I'd been on the old nose

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We're talking 15 years ago mate but 60 or 90mg sticks in my mind.

It will chill out and become normal but I remember the absolute sh1t storm of a mental roller-coaster the first few weeks were.
Sounds rough. Thanks for the insight, will let him know........and maybe get a few off him o_O😁

·
Looking Freaky
1,100 Posts
Been on/off citalopram for years for panic attacks and anxiety. Live saver for me personally. 20mg daily. initially on propranolol 40mg too. Lowers your heart rate to chill you out. Made me quite sleepy, but in a nice way.

·
Premium Member
6,045 Posts
80mg of propranolol will give anyone the ability to deal with stressful situations easily. Ive found it almost made me feel a bit emotionless as Im so used to a degree of anxiety at all times. Also made me quite sleepy and difficult to get motivated to do anything

·
Premium Member
3,282 Posts
Propanol is more just for settling you down, good for panic attack and pre interview nerves etc

20mg is about a mid dose for citalopram, that’s what I started on, the max clinical dose iirc is 40mg.

might leave you a bit jittery at first but shouldn’t leave you wired once you adjust.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Tried citalopram a feed years ago and mood went from bad to worse, not suicidal but definitely on the way, then got put on sertraline which was ok. Been taking propranolol for years as well which only take as needed when heading to a stressful situation.
I only take 10mg so probably more of a placebo but saying that if I do take them the next morning in bed my Garmin watch will beep to warn me my heart rate is too low??

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
Luckily i've never needed these meds but my partner takes propranolol and its mainly to calm the heart down, but it can effect energy and cardio, basically she stopped taking it before going to the gym cos it fooked her workouts! And for men it can mess with their libido, and old man function as do most anti depressants!

·
I don't sleep, I just dream.
11,534 Posts
I'm on citalopram 40mg for depression and elvanse for ADHD. Elvanse is stronger and I feel it overrides the effects of the citalopram in a good way. But before the elvanse I was on just the pram and it really got me out of the deep depression I was in.

·
Administrator
7,253 Posts
Any info you can provide on the above and the daily dosage would be much appreciated.
20mg of citalopram is a normal dose.
80mg propranolol seems a high initial dose, most GP's give 10/20mg a day, upping to the average 40mg per day.

I didn't get on with citalopram, took a few weeks to kick in but always felt weird so stopped them.
Still have propranolol and use it very occasionally @ 40mg.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Propranolol is a horrible drug isn't it?

I would go to the gym and try to properly warm up with intervals on treadmill trying to get my heart rate to around 160 and t shirt sweaty.

On propranolol just couldn't get my heart rate above 120 or so and I wasn't bothered either - rubbish workouts on that stuff.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Thanks for everyone's replies. So it looks like the prop will help deal with stressful situations but in layman terms, what does the cipro bring to the party?
The cipro is a med that will need time to build up in your system, it will dumb you down emotionally, almost sedate you, not to the level of say taking a benzo but it takes the edge off on a longer scale.

They will have given you prop to tide you over until the cipro builds up, I was given valium until my quetiapine built up.

They both fix/mask the problem but one is safe to be on long term whilst the other isn't.

My. DM's are always open to you mate, unfortunately I have Alot of experience with ssri, snri etc.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The cipro is a med that will need time to build up in your system, it will dumb you down emotionally, almost sedate you, not to the level of say taking a benzo but it takes the edge off on a longer scale.

They will have given you prop to tide you over until the cipro builds up, I was given valium until my quetiapine built up.

They both fix/mask the problem but one is safe to be on long term whilst the other isn't.

My. DM's are always open to you mate, unfortunately I have Alot of experience with ssri, snri etc.
Thanks bud.

It's regarding the bro in law. He's been in the hozzie since yesterday. They're arranging all sorts of tests for Monday but they are looking at the possibility that he's had a mini stroke earlier in the week and the pills have just exacerbated his condition. One of his work mates has said that they thought he was slurring his words on Wednesday. When he came into ours on Friday, he was adamant with the wife that it was Thurs.

He's been stressed out his box recently with messy break up and an ex taking the piss with his wee boy. He also works away a few nights a week so rushes back home for the wee fella.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts