UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondered out of interest if any body has first hand experience of the use of anabolics - either steroids and or GH in wound healing.

Ive just had surgery to remove a huge abscess & am left with a massive wound - I was told by the tissue viability nurse (supposedly an expert on wound healing & tissue repair) that if i wasnt off steroids i should be ASAP as they would REDUCE the healing speed & quality by & i quote "thinning everything down".

I dont see how that could be right as one of the medical uses of certain anabolics is in post surgical recovery!

When she spoke to me i had had my last tapering shot of test prop the day before and am due to start my PCT on Monday 20th Oct.

I am going to be running 4iu of GH all the way through PCT & think this ought to greatly help healing. Opinions welcomed!

·
Southern softie!!!
219 Posts
It is not totally clear how steroids inhibit wound healing. Steroids seem to inhibit wound macrophages and also interfere with fibrogenesis, angiogenesis, and wound contraction. They inhibit fibroblast migration and can inhibit prolyl hydroxylase activity. In addition, they can alter the inflammatory response. Vitamin A appears to reverse the effects on wound healing caused by corticosteroids, but the mechanism remains unclear. This can be given orally at 25,000 IU per day or topically as 20,000 IU ointment every 8 hours

·
Gym Addict
261 Posts
I put my arm through a window a few years ago and cut through all the muscles on my inner forearm just below the elbow, some minor nreve damage but luckily no tendons or anything like that. i was on sust and deca at the time, and i carried on taking it ( sust 500mg / week and deca 400mg / week ) and kept my protein intake high and healed remarkably quickly, my doctor and the nurses at outpatients commented on how quickly I healed, and i was back training within about 6 weeks :thumb:

·
Banned
14,412 Posts
Certain steroids, that's the key here.

You are referring to corticosteroids, these do help in repairing the body, in many applications, so drugs like prednisone, dexamethasone could help your body repair faster.

Your nurse is correct, you must have noticed how aas can thin the skin, this is what she is referring to.

·
Banned
14,412 Posts
geezuz said:
How about our peptides? Mechano - IGF or Lr3 must be beneficial? I know they are not roids but our friend also mentioned GH..
Beneficial for what though, this is the question.

Are you saying these will be beneficial to phil?

Are you talking exogenous peptides or our naturally occuring ones?

Steroids have different uses in the medical field, what may be beneficial for the treatment of one disease/injury etc, may not be beneficial for another. As in this case, AAS won't help.

·
EFBB Winner
3,552 Posts

·
PERSONAL GAINER
333 Posts
mars1960 said:
Beneficial for what though, this is the question.

Are you saying these will be beneficial to phil?

Are you talking exogenous peptides or our naturally occuring ones?

Steroids have different uses in the medical field, what may be beneficial for the treatment of one disease/injury etc, may not be beneficial for another. As in this case, AAS won't help.
Well Mars I would have thought that a substance that is eager to transport nutrients where the body is injured (or muscle fibres broken down) would perhaps be beneficial? Do we not use peptides in medicine for these purposes? In tht case WHY do we even know about them?

No benefit - no money - no research...?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts