UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,414 Posts
I didn't stop in total but as I stated previously I did give up the heavy sessions. With lockdown, I didn't drink at all when the pubs were shut. This is being honest, especially the last pub closure, which was for near 6 months. My resistance to alcohol has waned, I knew it would, as I once worked on bars and know about alcohol. I was never a lager drinker until a few years ago so I've gone back to an old favourite Newcastle Brown Ale. Once I could drink 10 or more of them, now I feel that's it at 5. Being honest, I'm a shadow of my former self on drink, not given it up but like you I can leave it now for days to weeks but still like a few at times. Think this is the best way to describe me now. I have drunk a lot of beer in my time and it's my age too that made me reduce it.

Just reduce the quantity Tricky, you can do it I know. I did!
I’ve went months and months before with no drinking when working abroad and no issues. It’s these past few years working shift work in the evenings I just love to unwind with some beers. I’m going to make an effort of 3 days drink free a week and take it from there if I get down to that. Ideally my happy place would be drinking 3 days out of 7 and moderate drinking those days not heavy. Time will time

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,414 Posts
OK, obviously we know the best approach in paring alcohol and training is simply committing to sobriety. But, the reality is that we are social beings and sometimes we choose to drink because it's fun and, like it or not, it comes with the social turf.
My question is, how do you all incorporate alcohol and the social scene into your training-driven lives? Tutuapp 9Apps
If I'm drinking, I'll try and make sure its a non-lifting day, or space out my alcohol as far away from my last lift as possible. I'll also shift my carb intake so that I'm consuming the majority earlier in the day, as well as cut down my fat intake for the day, replacing the excess macros with protein before and after drinking and bed to help combat the adverse effects. I'll use calorie-free mixers (diet soda, crystal light, etc.), take shots, or drink light beers. Obviously if training for an upcoming show I will not drink
I try now to only drink late in the evenings so after I’ve trained and walked the dog plus ate all my food. It’s usually a good few beers or Gin and Slim line tonic before bed.

·
Premium Member
6,414 Posts
I'd be interested in statistics re reasonably fit/ strong guys and how alcohol slightly above moderation actually affects lifespan/ quality of life. I guess as so many variables are involved it's how long a piece of string is. I can't help thinking that a guy who maintains strength and fitness will offset many of the adverse affects of alcohol; indeed if the alcohol consumption was too high surely it would render that very man incapable of keeping so fit?

But as we're talking that piece of string analogy and touching re AAS, I've read many times that a juicer who abstains from alcohol will invariably live around the same number of years as a mere mortal. Quite how that works when they don't abstain I have absolutely no idea as I suspect it's mainly this generation who would indeed do both, as 'in the day' steroids weren't so readily available and only used by fanatics who'd never touch alcohol?...
I don’t think it can be quantified per say but I can tell you it’s very possible to be much fitter than the average human while drinking a lot. It’s also possible to drink quite a bit and be capable of training hard and recovering. AAS do help but it’s possible.

while in the military many of us would drink a few days a week if not more but still be capable of daily cardio and weights a few times a week. I could easily drink the Stella most days, binge on the weekends but run 6.30min miles comfortably for 5+ miles shift decent tin like 2x bw squat, 2.5 x bw dead, 1.5x bw bench and still recover. That said low dose test no doubt helps but I couldn’t say at what cost to my health.

I’m not as fit now, I drink more but I can still put the trainers on and run 5-8 miles without stopping, CrossFit a few times a week, compound strength lifts once a week and recover fine on 200mg test or less. For sure if I didn’t drink I would be fitter and healthier but I argue I’m fitter and healthier than many BB’s who push high doses, run orals, eat excess kcals and protein with little to no cardio

·
Registered
182 Posts
I’ve went months and months before with no drinking when working abroad and no issues. It’s these past few years working shift work in the evenings I just love to unwind with some beers. I’m going to make an effort of 3 days drink free a week and take it from there if I get down to that. Ideally my happy place would be drinking 3 days out of 7 and moderate drinking those days not heavy. Time will time
A lot unwind the same way. Your photo, I've been there the same after work. A mate of mine was the same but it ended up 7 cans a night with him. He knocked it on the head too. You'll do it Tricky, it will be like smoking when you are ready to do it. I mean well and hope you knock it back a bit.

·
Premium Member
6,414 Posts
A lot unwind the same way. Your photo, I've been there the same after work. A mate of mine was the same but it ended up 7 cans a night with him. He knocked it on the head too. You'll do it Tricky, it will be like smoking when you are ready to do it. I mean well and hope you knock it back a bit.
8 beers deep and the last glass of this bottle of white. I’ll most likely have another half a bottle of wine then bed around 0330-0400. Hopefully your right

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
8 beers deep and the last glass of this bottle of white. I’ll most likely have another half a bottle of wine then bed around 0330-0400. Hopefully your right
My question is can you actually close those curtains since they're behind the TV, and are you concerned about how much heat / money is escaping if you can't..?

·
Premium Member
6,414 Posts
My question is can you actually close those curtains since they're behind the TV, and are you concerned about how much heat / money is escaping if you can't..?
they can close. I’ve just never closed them. Hadn’t even considered heat loss

·
Premium Member
3,552 Posts
I’m sooooo drunk, like lol, hashtag testicals, hashtag regret tomorrow, hashtag I don’t open my bum hole for any male only female but only if they really wanted to do that kind of thing

·
Registered
Pick up, put down, repeat
65 Posts
Steady on Flacky... 😋

I was a beer ace once, and not to long ago. When going to a gym I did restrict it but when I had an enforced break I got to love the beer. Thankfully it wasn't for long. The more you drink the more your resistance builds up! What made me give it up was - I had 7 cans of San Miguel one evening, got a taxi to a hotel and had 2 pints of Stella, then up town to 3am drinking 4 5% bottle lagers, then went to 24 hour Tesco got a beer and sandwich (I always had food), then met drinking friends at Tesco (crowds go at 3am to continue drinking) for all night party where I had another 4 cans strong lager. Next day, they said we are going to the pub are you coming? Off I went at 10:30am, I ended up drinking strong lagers all day until 11pm. Thing is I did it easy, not proud, can remember the whole two days too! No hangover. Again I used to nip off and get something to eat regularly though. Always have your food! My GP thought I was alcoholic prior to this event, I laughed at him and said I can give it up tomorrow.. 😂 I stopped after the above with no withdrawals or anything. I don't think you can be an alco on beer, could be wrong. Northerners are known for this though, there are loads that can drink like the above...
Same as me, I’ve been what I’d consider a heavy drinker for a long time, I wrapped it in completely when I took my training seriously again. I have had a couple of drinks here n there but a couple. Not finishing work and drinking 2 bottles of Prosecco one after the other or 4litres of polish lager EVERY night! Weekends I would drink from waking up till going to sleep but I wouldn’t get pissed I’d just be drinking all day long.
I also make poor choices when I’ve been drinking with regards to eating.

For me personally, I can’t drink and train. It’s one or the other. I used to do both but it’s too counter productive for me, I used to make excuses but I just accept it now

·
Registered
182 Posts
Same as me, I’ve been what I’d consider a heavy drinker for a long time, I wrapped it in completely when I took my training seriously again. I have had a couple of drinks here n there but a couple. Not finishing work and drinking 2 bottles of Prosecco one after the other or 4litres of polish lager EVERY night! Weekends I would drink from waking up till going to sleep but I wouldn’t get pissed I’d just be drinking all day long.
I also make poor choices when I’ve been drinking with regards to eating.

For me personally, I can’t drink and train. It’s one or the other. I used to do both but it’s too counter productive for me, I used to make excuses but I just accept it now
Sounds very familiar.. Well done!

·
Registered
Pick up, put down, repeat
65 Posts
Sounds very familiar.. Well done!
Thanks man, if I’m honest it’s partly from doing it to death and losing interest. All the alcoholic drinks I like I’ve drank so much I no longer crave them. I know this is happening because I run out of lagers I want and switch to dark fruits cuz it’s so easy to drink. I realise that’s the signal for me now.

·
Premium Member
6,414 Posts
That’s me singing off. 6 Stella and around 40-45cl of gin is enough for tonight. Tomorrow is heavy back squats and squat cleans

61 - 73 of 73 Posts