UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm a relative beginner when it comes to muscle gain, and all things fitness in general. But after many years of telling myself I am unhappy with my body and doing absolutely nothing about it, I've finally decided to kick myself up the backside and actually do something about it.

I'm fortunate in the sense that I have a decent sized empty garage, and have decided that I want to make a sort of home gym. I work from home most days so having a gym at home would be super convenient for me.

I'm quite a skinny dude, especially my arms and chest, but I have naturally beefy legs.

So my question is, does anyone have any equipment reccomendations? The beginner in me says just go out, buy a bench so I can chest press, and some weights. But I know it won't be as simple as that!

I have around £1000 in my budget but would love to spend less.

I've noticed there are a lot of 'multi-gyms' on sites like amazon but I've also been told they are a rip off...

Any advice would be massively appreciated!

·
Premium Member
6,511 Posts
Any advice would be massively appreciated!
IMO best value for money would be a power cage with high & low pulley attachment, a decent adjustable bench (perhaps with leg attachment), 7ft barbell, dumbells and enough weight to get you started.

Maybe add in a second hand cross trainer or similar for warm up & cardio.

Get some stable mats for the garage floor and you should be gtg.

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
All you need is a rack, bar and weights. Plus some collars etc..

Everything else is optional.

·
Registered
3 Posts
According to me before buying any fitness kit you should try some exercises that do not need any kit to perform. Some of the basic exercises that can benefit are mentioned below:

• Squats

• Lunges

• Pushups

• Pull-ups

• Rotation

You can perform these exercises and can buy some other materials instead of buying a kit. Materials like Shaker bottle, protein shake, etc.

Once you are comfortable doing these exercises you can buy the kit.

·
Premium Member
12,628 Posts
before buying any fitness kit you should try some exercises that do not need any kit to perform
This^

Kit is super expensive at the minute due to covid. Give it until early spring and they'll be plenty of cheap kit available.

In the meantime you can do overhead press and rowing movements with 20kg bags of building sand. Press ups for chest and back. Elevate your feet or get your mrs to put a bag of sand on your back to make them super hard. Rear foot elevated split squats. Buy some resistance bands off eBay for accessory lifts and use the pavement for cardio. There's loads of stuff you can do. A complete beginner doesn't need equipment.

I really wouldn't spend good money on multi gym equipment

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help so far guys.

Looking back at my original post, I probably overstated my 'beginner' status.

I've been in the military for 7 years so I am all to familiar with pushups, situps, all that good stuff.

But I'm a beginner in the sense that I've never specifically trained to build muscle before. I'm used to just running and carrying weight on long tabs as that is basically all you need to maintain the required standards.

That is why I want to buy kit, because nowadays I'm at home 4+ days a week for various reasons, and I want to have a home setup so that I can start a programme in my own time.

I think the comment about January is a great one though, hopefully the sales bring the prices down a bit!

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
Thanks for the help so far guys.

Looking back at my original post, I probably overstated my 'beginner' status.

I've been in the military for 7 years so I am all to familiar with pushups, situps, all that good stuff.

But I'm a beginner in the sense that I've never specifically trained to build muscle before. I'm used to just running and carrying weight on long tabs as that is basically all you need to maintain the required standards.

That is why I want to buy kit, because nowadays I'm at home 4+ days a week for various reasons, and I want to have a home setup so that I can start a programme in my own time.

I think the comment about January is a great one though, hopefully the sales bring the prices down a bit!
You can get a decent set up relatively cheap;

Mirafit rack - £299

Mirafit adjustable bench - £150

Strengthshop bar - £130 (not in stock)

Weight plates - Add as needed, about £120 for a pair of 20's

Dumbbells - Add as needed.

All in you can likely get a decent set-up for under a grand.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts