UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Newbie Trainer
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cutting out the carbs ( well cutting them right down) for a week before i go on holiday to lose a few lb and look more toned. Will this affect my muscle size? im still eating plenty of food. Just loads of meats,fish,fruit and veg along with my shakes!

·
Premium Member
10,733 Posts
In the first week of cutting carbs you will lose a few lbs of weight... but it won't be fat (or no more fat loss than if you just reduced calories and kept with the carbs) it will be glycogen and fluid loss. Since glycogen and the fluid that goes with it is stored in the muscle, it will make you look less muscular and full... depending on you current bodyfat levels and muscle size, when you initially cut carbs you can sometimes actually look less muscular for a while.

If i wanted to lose as much fat as possible in a week I'd not drop the carbs very low but would do just a slight reduction in calories and do a shed load of extra cardio every day, preferably using a heart monitor to do as much work at the best fat loss bpm... you can drop several lbs of fat in a week this way, although might well take a little muscle with it too.

·
Gym Addict
142 Posts
don't think you can go far wrong with the above post mate,

first week of keto I lost around 8lbs, but i would say 60+% of this is water which makes you look flatter (as mentioned above) you wont lose muscle in this week but you will look less in terms of mass due to the water loss..

(i believe for every gram of glycogen you hold 3g of water to it)

depends what you want i guess mate, the first week is also the hardest and to do so just before a holiday could leave you feeling pretty ****..

get doing some fasted cardio imo :) first thing in the morning and reduce carbs a bit but not completely like keto style just create a calorie deficit, and if you are weight training, do 20mins cardio after it could make all the difference...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.