UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i realize im making more general topics than training topics but thats just because my training is going really good so far so i suppose this is a good thing lol

anyways......

new car..... accelerator pedal is abit...stiff..... as i apply pressure with my foot instead of gently moving it like jumps, either making me stall of rev like hell..... ive put abit of wd40 on the joint of the pedal but dont think thats the problem, i read something about cleaning the air intake valve or something... point is ill ring the garage tomoz

can it be made to be smoother more lighter under foot and is it cheap to do? lol car is still under warranty, so they should do it for free...i hope! i realize price will vary with grages but in general as i know theres a few petrol heads here:D

cheers lads! :thumb:

·
Complete Basket Case
4,766 Posts
Mrdaveyk said:
hey guys i realize im making more general topics than training topics but thats just because my training is going really good so far so i suppose this is a good thing lol

anyways......

new car..... accelerator pedal is abit...stiff..... as i apply pressure with my foot instead of gently moving it like jumps, either making me stall of rev like hell..... ive put abit of wd40 on the joint of the pedal but dont think thats the problem, i read something about cleaning the air intake valve or something... point is ill ring the garage tomoz

can it be made to be smoother more lighter under foot and is it cheap to do? lol car is still under warranty, so they should do it for free...i hope! i realize price will vary with grages but in general as i know theres a few petrol heads here:D

cheers lads! :thumb:
replace the throttle cable...

if it is fairly new it might be pinched somewhere. You could also remove it and lube it with teflon lube using a cable oiler (get one from a decent bike shop or online @ m&p)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
renault clio rush 05

cheers slamdog, i did look at the cable but couldnt get under the car to follow it to the engine, shall see what i can find on it though

·
Complete Basket Case
4,766 Posts
it will run from the top of the peday almost straight through the firewall into the engine bay to the top of the engine.

you can oil a cable without a cable oiler...

make a funnel out of a coke bottle and fit it to one end with plasticine or tape. fill it with lube and hang it up overnight. by morning it will have drained through to the other end. don't use engine oil though, it dries out and goes sticky.. hence teflon lube... motorbike shops are your best bet.

·
Gym Addict
128 Posts
does the clio have a throttle cable? i think it might be fly by wire. could be wrong tho.

i work for nissan and they have been using fly by wire throttles since 2002ish and they are owned by renault so use alot of the same technology.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
not sure what the difference is but i googled throttle cable and it comes up with a thin black cable at the top arm of the pedal through the fire wall as suggested

which is what i got

throttle-cable-for-lever.jpg

typed in fly-by wire and i get jet engines:D hah i wish lol

·
Complete Basket Case
4,766 Posts
if its fly by wire then it will be a dodgy potentiometer attached to the pedal. you might cure it with a tin of elecrolube (a kind of wd40 but designed to clean copper wire surfaces and is highly conductive)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Slamdog said:
it will run from the top of the peday almost straight through the firewall into the engine bay to the top of the engine.

you can oil a cable without a cable oiler...

make a funnel out of a coke bottle and fit it to one end with plasticine or tape. fill it with lube and hang it up overnight. by morning it will have drained through to the other end. don't use engine oil though, it dries out and goes sticky.. hence teflon lube... motorbike shops are your best bet.
if it runs to the top of the engine then i shall have a look tomoz, but i couldnt locate it where it comes into from the inside of the car to out.

·
Gym Addict
128 Posts
as i say i might be totally wrong and it might be a cable thats on it, older renaults were but most car manufacturers are using electric throttle control now as is better for emissions control.

if it does have a cable on it the disconnect it from the throtle body (on the engine side of the cable) and try pressing the pedal. if it is still hard to move then your fault lies in the pedal or the cable. if it moves easily then the fault is in the throttle body.

·
Looking Freaky
799 Posts
dont touch it and get it straight back to where you got it and get the work done under warranty.

why do anything else?

as said if lubing the cable itself, a thin oil is needed - but that would be my second thing to do

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
aye they just simply detached the cable from the valve, greased it up and pulled it tight so the pedal has raised now and become very sensitive the way i like it

think its just worn down over use, cheers for the input though guys, always like to learn a little bit on my car

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.