UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Gym Addict
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive recently ordered ulta fine oats off myprotein ive been using it before and after my workouts for energy and recovery,ive been reading about people using it for bulking im guessing bulking is putting on weight do you do this all the time?or do you do it for only certain periods of time?,ive been trainnig for over a year now but am still a rookie to the science of it all

·
Optimum nutrition Rep
10,834 Posts
you are correct bulking is putting on weight. People bulk until they are the size they want to be or feel there bf is to high. then they cut to remove some bf. Once there bf is low enough if they want to be bigger they will then bulk again.

This is as simple as i can explain it lol. Oats are good for using when bulking as they have alot of cals in them and are a low gi carb and are inexpensive.

·
My Protein Discount Code MP2819
5,868 Posts
Basically bulking is eating calories that exceed your bodies total energy expenditure (TEE) for that day. The extra calories are a stimulus for the body to grow (anabolic) and hopefully grow as muscle.

The quality of the weight you gain whilst 'bulking' will depend on the quality of the food you are eating (this has been done to death do a search) and your training quality or more accurately its effects on your hormones.

Oats are a great source of carbohydrate, low GI and packed with natural goodness, so a fine choice. You need plenty of other nutrients too, to succesfully bulk, post up a diet in the relevant section and you will get plenty of help, just dont overdo the Protein.

hth

SD

·
Newbie Trainer
61 Posts
fozyspilgrims said:
Personally i would use your oats for breakfast and a weight gain shake in the afternoon, post work out i would stick some maltodextrin in your shake instead or as well as.
I thought it was better to stick Hi GI carbs rather than maltodextrin in your post-workout shakes since you want to get a rapid insulin spike to push glycogen into your muscles, and stimulate good chemicals like IGF-1, GH, etc, and suppress cortisol which eats your muscles away.

cheers

LD

1 - 5 of 5 Posts